Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i have the non leather one for my iPad 4 and i love it, i think it was 60 which is pretty steep but for how it works it is perfect. i got my mom an iPad mini and her case set up is a clear back from rocket fish and a smart cover which pretty much does the same thing, just depends on what you want.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
The ipad air smart case is a joke at $80 I don't find it worth it at all am looking too re place my ipad air cease with a outer box case wish will be far more worth it

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I like the apple smart covers and have two genuine leather ones for my iPad 3rd Gen because I got them on 75% off clearance for about $12.75 each (well worth it for that price) but I would never have paid full retail for them:eek:

Last night I received a Moko iPad rMini and iPad air case, along with a rooCase origami = all three were only $~26 bucks shipped!

They aren't real leather at all and I knew that when I purchase them but for between $6 - 10 each case they fit perfectly good with everything lining up and they activate the Smart Cover features every time = can't beat the price/value compared to the genuine :apple: similar products!

Sadly, I think I'm going to keep the 4th Gen iPad 16Gb cellular I picked up NIB from our base PX for ~$330 as a measure to gift my original iPad to a family member, my 3rd gen will go to another family member and I'll be waiting for iPad air2 or rMini2 in hopes of a8 + 2Gb RAM (SOC) as the a6x in the 4th Gen is just as smooth as the air and rMini (actually, on iOS7 I've had far more crashes in Safari and games on the rMini followed by a few on the Air & one crash in Safari on the 4th Gen iPad)...maybe the new a7/m7 combo is the cause with apps not being optimized for 64 bit yet?!?

I will miss the weight reduction over my 3rd Gen going with the 4th Gen but as we all know :apple: will have their latest and greatest out in another year = the cycle starts all over again:p

...also hopeful for a jump to 32Gb storage for the base model on the next upgrade cycle from:apple: = that would defo get me to upgrade from the 3rd and 4th gen models my house currently has!

Last edited:

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
This got back from Walmart. And got me a outer box case it is going two be way more worth it then that crapy apple ipad air Smart Cover

caravancgb

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
Wanna hear about it first but really dont wanna drop $80 on a case!!! But it looks good as i only like super low profile cases. As little padding as i can cause i never drop my ipads and i put cases on to protect from scratches more than anything.

You could buy good quality genuine leather cases for any ipad (including iPad Air) for $50, you may consider Yoobao ipad case

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
We have 2 Smart Cases in my home. In my opinion I do not believe the case is worth $80 ($89 in Canada).

Although I enjoy the feel of the case, there are a few flaws which I'm not too happy with. The first one being that the case has 3 folds rather then one (it affects the way you stand your iPad). The 2nd being the "hump" near the hinge (the cover doesn't fully close on the screen).

Appose from these flaws, we removed a case from one of our iPads for the 1st time just last week. With the iPad being well cared for and never leaving the home the case snapped near the volume rockers the moment we removed the case. We were lucky though that Apple replaced the case for us.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The ipad air smart case is a joke at $80 I don't find it worth it at all am looking too re place my ipad air cease with a outer box case wish will be far more worth it

This got back from Walmart. And got me a outer box case it is going two be way more worth it then that crapy apple ipad air Smart Cover

Whoa, slow down.

I assume that you mean an Otterbox.

The Otterbox and the Smart Case are two totally different types of cases. Doesn't seem fair to compare them.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I think the Smartcase is a steal at $20, a fair deal at $35-40; and robbery at $80; although it is probably one of the best cases out there when it comes down to it.

I had one for a week, and returned it due to the front flap not staying flat. Once it was gone, I went to the following:

1. iBlason TPU case: no good because it was floppy and had a rough edge
2. Smart Cover: Nice, but no back protection
3. Wet-apply skin: Bad fit, could not apply well unless I soaked it in solution (which I did not want to do)
4. Old Verizon ipad sleeve I had: Nice, but hassle to put in and take out when you want to use it.

So I just ordered another Smartcase on ebay for $52 shipped. I can live with that price.

The nice thing about the Smartcase is that you get 100% protection of all edges and you don't have to worry about scratches/debris since the interior has a microfiber lining (you should worry even with TPU and hard plastics). I could just pop my ipad in my backpack, and no worry about it. I could leave it in my car seat, and not worry about any damage from loose items, or if it fell to the floor. It was just a care-free experience with minimal weight/bulk and max protection.

I think if you can find a deal for under $50, you should take it.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Worth is a relative concept.

Worth is definitely a relative concept.

I know of some car fanatics who have spent like $5000 to $10,000 just on wheels and rims alone for their precious sportscars. I'd call them crazy to spend so much on a cosmetic part for their car. But in the end, it's their money. If they can afford to buy such things, then who am I to judge.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I find the smart cases to be pretty lame. I tried one that a friend had and it was awful. $80 bucks? Why pay that much for suffering? Try a Fintie brand case for about $15 bucks or less from amazon. Problem solved.

I do not understand people's attraction to these overpriced cases. Use that money for more storage or cell support!

Why pay that much? Because I don't want to pay $80 on 10 cheap cases that I'm not satisfied with. I tried the Fintie, its garbage.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Just picked up the Brown leather Smart Case. Looks really nice even though I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll post back later with my thoughts.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I've been contemplating whether or not to pick one up for my rMini - only $70 :D

I have a smart cover now and really wouldn't look to get any other case. I really like the look and feel or the smart case and the fact it protects the back.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA
does anyone use the smart cover with a pouch? That's what I did with my previous ipad. Does the smart case add a lot of bulk? If I could hold the mini naked with one hand, would I still be able to do that with the case on?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
No company other than Apple has made a case that offers such precision fit and finish such as the New Smart Case. Some companies make nice cases no doubt but none have taken the time to have perfect micro-drilled holes for the speaker nor full coverage of volume buttons and sleep/wake button. Most companies just leave wide gaps open which seems why their prices are so low. I'm gonna get a Apple Smart case for my ipad air so that I can have full coverage. I have Smart Cover but the case has so much detail that you cannot find anywhere. I challenge you all to scour Amazon and see who has that level of detail.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Watch out if you are buying a smartcase soon. I just took one home, and it had stretch marks all over the back side, and a few on the front (not visible until you take it out of the package).

I exchanged it, and got one with even more on the back, none on the front.

Went to look at all the ones they had on display, and almost all of them had it, some worse than others.

I guess the leather supplier had some cows that lost a lot of weight recently. :)

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Watch out if you are buying a smartcase soon. I just took one home, and it had stretch marks all over the back side, and a few on the front (not visible until you take it out of the package).

I exchanged it, and got one with even more on the back, none on the front.

Went to look at all the ones they had on display, and almost all of them had it, some worse than others.

I guess the leather supplier had some cows that lost a lot of weight recently. :)

I sent mine back before xmas for the same thing.

----------

No company other than Apple has made a case that offers such precision fit and finish such as the New Smart Case. Some companies make nice cases no doubt but none have taken the time to have perfect micro-drilled holes for the speaker nor full coverage of volume buttons and sleep/wake button. Most companies just leave wide gaps open which seems why their prices are so low. I'm gonna get a Apple Smart case for my ipad air so that I can have full coverage. I have Smart Cover but the case has so much detail that you cannot find anywhere. I challenge you all to scour Amazon and see who has that level of detail.

Piel Frama
Vaja
Spigen

How many more do you want :roll eyes: then if you want cheap get the smart case. Quality comes at a price.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I sent mine back before xmas for the same thing.

----------

Piel Frama
Vaja
Spigen

How many more do you want :roll eyes: then if you want cheap get the smart case. Quality comes at a price.

Lol you failed the challenge. Apple Case is leather, lightweight, and offers all around protection. Not to mention, no ugly/huge cutouts and volume and power buttons are covered.

Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Lol you failed the challenge. Apple Case is leather, lightweight, and offers all around protection. Not to mention, no ugly/huge cutouts and volume and home buttons are covered.

Yeah you wouldn't want to feel those horrible volume buttons :roll eyes: Didn't know it covered the home button?

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
It is very overpriced. With that said I'd buy it again. I like using official things, it fits perfectly, hasn't caused any problems, and keeps it well covered.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Yeah you wouldn't want to feel those horrible volume buttons :roll eyes: Didn't know it covered the home button?

I meant the power button. Anyway, I already said I don't think it's worth $80. But there is nothing else out there that is quite like the official Apple case.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
There are a lot of response that goes like this:

It's all leather, well made, and fits perfectly. There is nothing on the market like it. But it's not worth $80.

I paid more than $600 for my iPad Air. Considering a good leather wallet costs more than $40, a case for a $600 device that has no equal is well worth $80 IMHO. That is the cost of going out to a nice restaurant for 2 people, and you have it for the rest of your iPad Air life.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Just picked up the Brown leather Smart Case. Looks really nice even though I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll post back later with my thoughts.
Can we see some pictures? Anybody care to post one after they've broken their case in a bit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.