Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro, no major problems here. There were a few when Yosemite first launched, but updates took care of that. The only one I currently even notice is the computer name appending (2) then (3) etc. It affects nothing that I do, so it's a tiny thing.

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
Hi,

I think my latest iMac is not compatible with Yosemite.

Although I am having some issues with the other two iMacs, the newest one is the one where I'm having the most grief.

I will absolutely install the next OS X release and if it works well I'll probably leave it there and not download the next one and the next one - it's too much hassle and costs me too much money to have my schedule derailed by rotten software on an expensive computer.

I'm suffering from OS X update fatigue!

Regards,

Quijano187

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
2008 iMac running Yosemite since day one. Clean install.. very minimal problems .. Update with confidence.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
What amazes me is that as we approach 10.10.3 we've still got very basic bugs. My rMBP general works well with Yosemite (I am productive and do appreciate some of the workflow improvements), but the intermittent Wi-fi / Bluetooth and Airplay failures that often require rebooting to resolve smacks of running Windows.

I'm generally amused how much people complain about the redesign, I'm not crazy for it (but do slightly prefer it) but many complaints confuse usability with aesthetic preferences.

Anyway, this is the first OS X release for me since I switched around Panther -> Tiger that I have to reboot to solve problems. I think overall I'm happier to have upgraded, but reboots are IMO a real black mark.

What is most depressing is that this was the first ever OS X release where Apple tried to use public beta testing -- I would have predicted better quality not worse. What went so wrong with this?

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
What is most depressing is that this was the first ever OS X release where Apple tried to use public beta testing -- I would have predicted better quality not worse. What went so wrong with this?

What else...? Whack as many new features as possible at a quarter of the time frame. It is even made worse by grafting Ive's lousy interface design over the already bloated codes since Lion, this is what disaster spells.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
It is even made worse by grafting Ive's lousy interface design over the already bloated codes since Lion, this is what disaster spells.

And the UI design is great for a lot of people, my family included. You can generalize all you want but that does not make it fact for everyone.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
And the UI design is great for a lot of people, my family included. You can generalize all you want but that does not make it fact for everyone.

And the UI design is **** for a lot more of other people who find it hard to read and having a headache after some time using it. You can also generalise all you want but that does not make it fact for everyone, and I wouldn't risk my family straining their eyes working on a piece of ****** OS... :rolleyes:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
And the UI design is **** for a lot more of other people who find it hard to read and having a headache after some time using it. You can also generalise all you want but that does not make it fact for everyone, and I wouldn't risk my family straining their eyes working on a piece of ****** OS... :rolleyes:

The difference is I was not generalizing, hence the words "a lot of people". Boy the hate is strong in you.

Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
The difference is I was not generalizing, hence the words "a lot of people". Boy the hate is strong in you.

It is as strong as your hate towards Forstall's/Job's UI design... Or shall I say, your blind love towards Ive's crappy design...? :p

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I find this hilarious and embarrassing. A properly programmed UI should not exhibit a mild jerkiness on this kind of hardware.

More likely a graphics driver issue.

----------

It is as strong as your hate towards Forstall's/Job's UI design... Or shall I say, your blind love towards Ive's crappy design...? :p

Hmmm, now you are reaching. I never stated that I hated anything. Ahh, you equate liking something as worship.

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
More likely a graphics driver issue.

IMHO Apple has no valid excuse for not getting this right. Money is not a problem and they tightly control the hardware.
No matter whether it's the driver or OSX, they have all the resources to get it right. It's just a matter of prioritizing. Apparently it's not at delivering a lag-free UX in OSX.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
IMHO Apple has no valid excuse for not getting this right. Money is not a problem and they tightly control the hardware.
No matter whether it's the driver or OSX, they have all the resources to get it right. It's just a matter of prioritizing. Apparently it's not at delivering a lag-free UX in OSX.

From my experience, they've always had graphics driver issues since the early days of Mac OS X.

Or more like a conspiracy (in b4 Taz Mangus says it's a comspiracy :rolleyes:) to make sure you keep buying their hardware every 2 years or so if you want to have the greatest UX. For my current hardware, a mid 2010 MBP, Mavericks and Yosemite UI runs like crap at times. Both suffering from video playback stutter due to intermittent but intensive background resources. The only good OS X to fallback to is Snow Leopard which came with my MBP, that's about the only way to retain GUI fluidity.

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
From my experience, they've always had graphics driver issues since the early days of Mac OS X.

Or more like a conspiracy (in b4 Taz Mangus says it's a comspiracy :rolleyes:) to make sure you keep buying their hardware every 2 years or so if you want to have the greatest UX. For my current hardware, a mid 2010 MBP, Mavericks and Yosemite UI runs like crap at times. Both suffering from video playback stutter due to intermittent but intensive background resources. The only good OS X to fallback to is Snow Leopard which came with my MBP, that's about the only way to retain GUI fluidity.

Writing this on a maxed out 17 inch Mid-2010 MBP (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD). Mavericks runs smooth as it should. Can't stand the thought of spending $4300 (Netherlands, including Applecare) on a maxed out MBP and then getting frustrated by the OS. Waiting for Apple to fix this and then I'll probably buy the next MBP version.

AWgamer

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I'm happy with it. It is certainly superior to Windows 8.1 that I was using previously.

I used windows computers 15 years and I lose my mind on windows 8.1 after 10 minutes of trying to accomplish basic tasks. It's an xbox one OS on a PC...horrible idea. I have windows vista on my desktop now and as bad as it is its fine for me compared to 8.1

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I have a late 2011 MBP that I upgraded to 8GB RAM and an SSD. Yosemite runs great on it and I like the look of it. The only issue I have, which I hate, is pdf scrolling in Preview. Laggy, jumpy and frustrating.

But if I had to do it again, I would definitely still upgrade.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
I think Yosemite is the perfect snap shot of apple in general at the moment.

It's a friggin mess.

Seriously, Yosemite is a quagmire of bugs.

It's even worse on my corroded MBP Retina display which also suffers with Image retention.

It's kind of funny that in the apple dictionary app it states the origins of the word Retention are retinere ‘hold back’. Retinere sounds like the inspiration for Retina.

I can't help but feel the situation is dire. My colleagues now discuss, rather than how better Mac's are, instead, its how much they dislike them. I'm talking about people, like me, who have gladly used them for 20 years because they were great.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I'm considering upgrading to 10.10.3 when it's released. I've been holding on to 10.9.5 and have been very pleased thus far.

Those on the beta, what's your take?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

I personally don't care for Yosemite and find that usability has, in some areas, been worsened. However, I agree with you that they are erroneously generalizing people. I know far more people that like or don't mind Yosemite than people who don't like it.

I'd say the general consumer doesn't really care.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I agree it's ymmv. i have fresh installed on my base '12 mini several times and after about 1-2 days it starts messing up. Spinning beach balls for long periods of time, have to rebbot every few hours, constantly hung downloads in the mac app store, but most of all lag and spinning beach ball. Seriously, I had a dell laptop that I got in 09 and this is much worse even now (gave it to one of the kids when I got this one) my wife's 09 samsung laptop also is smoother. I like osx, this is my first mac, but it's getting very irritating. I have been running computers since dos and have not experienced this much trouble since windows 98.

If I could go back to mavericks I would, but I do not have mavericks in the store even though it came on the mini.

How much ram in your computer, to speed up is to get 8gb. If you have 4gb of ram, you might want 8gb. That might speed up the computer, 4gb is really pushing it. How about posting some screen shots from actively tracker (it's in your utilities folder)which is in your applications folder.[

COLOR="Red"]Hugh[/COLOR]

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
How much ram in your computer, to speed up is to get 8gb. If you have 4gb of ram, you might want 8gb. That might speed up the computer, 4gb is really pushing it. How about posting some screen shots from actively tracker (it's in your utilities folder)which is in your applications folder.

Clearly Apple thinks 4GB is enough, otherwise they would not sell machines in that configuration. If it turns out that it's "really pushing it", then that's something Apple is either aware of or not. Draw your own, not so pretty, conclusion.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
How much ram in your computer, to speed up is to get 8gb. If you have 4gb of ram, you might want 8gb. That might speed up the computer, 4gb is really pushing it. How about posting some screen shots from actively tracker (it's in your utilities folder)which is in your applications folder.[

COLOR="Red"]Hugh[/COLOR]
Yes, that is next after an ssd but as the next poster insinuates apple is still selling 4gb ram and the last two os's are supposedly optimized for less ram. This is like stating apple is knowingly selling under equipped systems.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
My major concern is optimization. Windows keeps getting faster and lighter with each release, while OSX keeps getting heavier and slower. It's not a good trend. I'd like to see a whole release like Snow Leopard where the OSX team just focuses on optimization.

JSC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My major concern is optimization. Windows keeps getting faster and lighter with each release, while OSX keeps getting heavier and slower. It's not a good trend. I'd like to see a whole release like Snow Leopard where the OSX team just focuses on optimization.

I was experiencing slowness with Yosemite, which didn't make sense as I have an iMac with 16GB of RAM and a quad-core processor. I was seeing way too many beach balls. I also have an older MacBook Pro. Disk Utility was telling me that half my HD was bad and I needed to erase it and reload everything. Not an option I liked.

I solved both problems by buying DiskWarrior 5.0 based upon some reviews. I rebuilt the Directory using the USB on both machines. It showed my iMac Directory was only 50% efficient. My iMac is now very fast again. My MacBook Pro now is fully operational and Disk Utility now shows that all is well.

The problem some people may be having with Yosemite performance may be their Directory needs a rebuild, not Yosemite.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I was experiencing slowness with Yosemite, which didn't make sense as I have an iMac with 16GB of RAM and a quad-core processor. I was seeing way too many beach balls. I also have an older MacBook Pro. Disk Utility was telling me that half my HD was bad and I needed to erase it and reload everything. Not an option I liked.

I solved both problems by buying DiskWarrior 5.0 based upon some reviews. I rebuilt the Directory using the USB on both machines. It showed my iMac Directory was only 50% efficient. My iMac is now very fast again. My MacBook Pro now is fully operational and Disk Utility now shows that all is well.

The problem some people may be having with Yosemite performance may be their Directory needs a rebuild, not Yosemite.

If it really was that simple, then Apple should include that feature in the OS and schedule it automatically at a regular basis. Having to do any manual maintenance at all to an OS in 2015 is not ideal. Windows at least has disk optimization occur every week automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.