Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinepada

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Perú
Not my experience, I'm using HDD and it's at least as fast as Mavericks.

modern Macbook? mine its from 2010 and has a 5400 rpm drive difference its huge from to Mavericks to Yosemite, so I downgrade my macbook to mavericks

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
it worries me that almost everyone that does not bash yosemite says it is at least as fast as "mavericks". One would have hoped for something a little faster at least ... After 3 updates Yosemite still looks not trustworthy as a stable competent OS

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
it worries me that almost everyone that does not bash yosemite says it is at least as fast as "mavericks". One would have hoped for something a little faster at least ... After 3 updates Yosemite still looks not trustworthy as a stable competent OS

Are you using Yosemite?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

On my 2011 iMac installed with 10.10.3 definitely feels more responsive then it did when 10.9.5 was installed on it.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
On my 2011 iMac installed with 10.10.3 definitely feels more responsive then it did when 10.9.5 was installed on it.
Agree with this, especially for apps that have been optimized for Yosemite,
Onyx is much faster, compared to the version for Mavericks, even on a slow 5,400 rpm spinner HHD.
I have two issues after installing 10.10.3:
1. My backup firewire drive (WD Passport 500GB) cannot be ejected using the Command E key combination, have to fire up Disk Utility to dismount the drive. :mad:
2. The system complains about starting up applications downloaded from the internet, even though I have "Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere" selected in the Security & Privacy preference pane. :eek:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Agree with this, especially for apps that have been optimized for Yosemite,
Onyx is much faster, compared to the version for Mavericks, even on a slow 5,400 rpm spinner HHD.
I have two issues after installing 10.10.3:
1. My backup firewire drive (WD Passport 500GB) cannot be ejected using the Command E key combination, have to fire up Disk Utility to dismount the drive. :mad:
2. The system complains about starting up applications downloaded from the internet, even though I have "Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere" selected in the Security & Privacy preference pane. :eek:

As far as #1, does CTRL-click eject work? When you try CMD-E do you get a popup error message stating why it can't be ejected? Have you tried Repairing Permissions in Disk Utility?

As far as #2, from my experience I will usually get that message if I was not the one who installed the application. And maybe this will help: http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/12/disable-application-downloaded-from-the-internet-message-in-mac-os-x/.

Last edited:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Are you using Yosemite?

My thoughts, amazing how many people have a view without running it...

----------

"at least as fast" means faster. Yosemite is doing more than Mavericks so to be doing more AND faster is pretty good. In my usage its <get this> at least as stable as Mavericks too.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
As far as #1, does CTRL-click eject work? When you try CMD-E do you get a popup error message stating why it can't be ejected? Have you tried Repairing Permissions in Disk Utility?

As far as #2, from my experience I will usually get that message if I was not the one who installed the application. And maybe this will help: http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/12/disable-application-downloaded-from-the-internet-message-in-mac-os-x/.

1. Ctrl click doesn't show an eject option. No error message appears on the CMD-E key combination with the target disk selected. Tried with both the left and right CMD keys. As far as I can tell there is no response whatsoever to that action, even watching Activity Monitor. I tried connecting the external drive via USB 2 instead of firewire, same issue. Tried repairing permissions too, no change. Ran Disk Warrior on both drives and no change. This one has me stumped. :confused:
2. Thanks, that link did the trick. I disabled the quarantine system wide. :)

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
1. Ctrl click doesn't show an eject option. No error message appears on the CMD-E key combination with the target disk selected. Tried with both the left and right CMD keys. As far as I can tell there is no response whatsoever to that action, even watching Activity Monitor. I tried connecting the external drive via USB 2 instead of firewire, same issue. Tried repairing permissions too, no change. Ran Disk Warrior on both drives and no change. This one has me stumped. :confused:
2. Thanks, that link did the trick. I disabled the quarantine system wide. :)

Boot into safe mode (holding shift-key while rebooting) and see if the eject acts the same way. Also, create a new user account, reboot, login to the new user and see if the eject is the same in the new account.

Does this eject issue happen with any other hard drives? Maybe it has something to do specifically with the WD hard drive you are using. I have read that WD has put special security firmware on the hard drives In the past. Not sure if that is still the case.

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Progress!

Boot into safe mode (holding shift-key while rebooting) and see if the eject acts the same way. Also, create a new user account, reboot, login to the new user and see if the eject is the same in the new account.

Does this eject issue happen with any other hard drives? Maybe it has something to do specifically with the WD hard drive you are using. I have read that WD has put special security firmware on the hard drives In the past. Not sure if that is still the case.
Thanks for the help. We are getting closer, I believe. Other HDDs show the same issue (CMD-E doesn't eject a selected mounted external drive). Safe mode: same issue. :eek:
Created a new user account, followed by a reboot, login to the new user: CMD-E works! :cool:So there is probably a corrupted plist preference file somewhere in my main User Library file. Deleting the finder's pref: no change. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the help. We are getting closer, I believe. Other HDDs show the same issue (CMD-E doesn't eject a selected mounted external drive). Safe mode: same issue. :eek:
Created a new user account, followed by a reboot, login to the new user: CMD-E works! :cool:So there is probably a corrupted plist preference file somewhere in my main User Library file. Will try deleting the finder's pref. and see if that works. Any other suggestions?

I think it is now narrowed down nicely. If it comes down to it you could recreate your user account if you can't figure out what is corrupted in your current user account.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I think it is now narrowed down nicely. If it comes down to it you could recreate your user account if you can't figure out what is corrupted in your current user account.
Tried deleting the Finder prefs: no dice.
It's not just HDDs, mounted dmg files are affected too (have to use DU to unmount them).
Any suggestions for candidates to delete?
I'd rather not redo the current User account, easier to revert to Mavericks and give my failing eyes a rest too! :apple::eek::apple:
In addition to the unmount issue, No internet access, with Internet Accounts pref pane refusing to accept my ISP mail password .... immediate punt ... re-installed Mavericks!
All issues resolved. 10.10.3 was a dead-end on this 1011 Mac mini.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… Created a new user account, followed by a reboot, login to the new user: CMD-E works! :cool:So there is probably a corrupted plist preference file somewhere in my main User Library file. …

Probably not.

Any other suggestions?

Please see answers to the following question: The volume can't be ejected because it's currently in use. Under the accepted answer, please note the importance of using sudo.

… installed Mavericks!
All issues resolved. …

That's good, but unmount/eject issues do sometimes affect Mavericks and earlier versions of the operating system.

To both questions?

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

----------

"at least as fast" means faster. Yosemite is doing more than Mavericks so to be doing more AND faster is pretty good. In my usage its <get this> at least as stable as Mavericks too.

I still feel that a lot of people feel otherwise - I will hold out from upgrading until perhaps future patches solve more bugs. I mean even if its faster and as stable, it still appears to haven ore bugs, and bugs drive me CRAZY -

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

----------

It is not like you say, people have thoughts without running it based on a large sample size of other people who say it doesn't work - I mean look, if I am buying a certain model car, and half my friend's say that car is problematic i won't test-buy that car, same thing with yosemite, ppl really depend on their MacBooks for work they won't simply try it specially given the risks that upgrading in general may pose in terms of file loss or the difficulty of reverting back...

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
It is not like you say, people have thoughts without running it based on a large sample size of other people who say it doesn't work - I mean look, if I am buying a certain model car, and half my friend's say that car is problematic i won't test-buy that car, same thing with yosemite, ppl really depend on their MacBooks for work they won't simply try it specially given the risks that upgrading in general may pose in terms of file loss or the difficulty of reverting back...

How come it works perfectly fine for others? Every setup is different. Not to mention the ones who have no clue what they're doing on their computer (I don't mean you).

...Your car analogy doesn't work. The car you buy is the exact same for everyone. Yet your Macbook is not my Mac Pro, we're not running the same applications, etc.

It's easy (and safe) to install it on a second partition/drive and see how it goes.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
How come it works perfectly fine for others? Every setup is different. Not to mention the ones who have no clue what they're doing on their computer (I don't mean you).

...Your car analogy doesn't work. The car you buy is the exact same for everyone. Yet your Macbook is not my Mac Pro, we're not running the same applications, etc.

It's easy (and safe) to install it on a second partition/drive and see how it goes.

What I find perplexing is the case where one person reports an issue and another person is void of any issues. And this is where both own the same year, model and hardware configuration. This case happened with me more then once: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21017347/.

And I am the type of person who notices everything. I now firmly believe that there is more affecting these situations then simply Yosemite.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I still feel that a lot of people feel otherwise - I will hold out from upgrading until perhaps future patches solve more bugs. I mean even if its faster and as stable, it still appears to haven ore bugs, and bugs drive me CRAZY -

Create a new partition on your internal hard drive, install 10.10.3 on the new partition, boot to the 10.10.3 and test use it. When you are done, boot back to your primary partition and delete the new partition. This is the best way to see how well Yosemite will work without having to affect your primary install. This is what I did before I decided to upgrade to Yosemite. Before I even decided to try out Yosemite I read all the posts where people complained about issues they were having. It had me concerned as it does you. But in the end I had to decide for myself and it turned out that Yosemite is very stable on all 3 of my Macs. I am serious when I say this, Yosemite has been issue free for me since I have installed. I have been using OS X since 10.2 Jaguar and Yosemite is by far my favorite version of OS X.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.