Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bjango

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2011
I have a new iMac 21.5 and moved iStatPro over from my older Mac, an early 2009 24" model. It is still working well. I see no need to buy one when this one (free) still does the job.

We're totally fine with that! Please do keep using iStat Pro, iStat Nano (another widget we made) or iStat Menus 3 for as long as you like! We'll do what we can to entice you to use iStat Menus 4 by continuing to make it more awesome each update. :cool:

Sad to say but I've gone back to 3 and my what a relief.

Sorry but 4 needs some work to bring it up to what 3 was at :(
Which parts specifically don't you like about iStat Menus 4?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
All my above changes for a kick off.

The fact you can't change network bandwidth to stacked lines and that it shows every network connection, not just the ones in use.

The history graphs are IMO pointless, I'd like the option to specify myself the graphs.

I'd choose something like, 5 mins, 1 hour, 1 day with peak values rather than averages, because seeing an average of 0 is pointless.

Ability to disable sensors on my Mac Pro and the missing sensors on my MBP.

Add rpm back to the sensors display.

Bottom line is 3 had more user customisation options and for me to pay to upgrade these would need to come back.

Wrightpd

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
UK
hi, I have have macbook pro 13" 2012, when i upgraded to istats menu 4 i lost the ability to control the fan speeds and also the top 5 processes under men/cpu are missing as are the top 5 bandwidth users under networks. Is this a common problem (i think it only happened after upgrading to 4.03 but could be wrong), have gone back to version 3 and all working again, its a shame as i like verison 4

Paul

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
I just installed upgraded to v4. Why can I not hide sensors anymore? Didn't version 3 allow that? I don't need to see 98% of the crap in the CPU and Memory drop downs and I'd like to be able to turn it off.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
4.04 out.

Fixed issue with the wrong GPU being shown as active.
Fixed issue with calendar incorrectly showing some days as being in the next month.
Fixed issue with VPN connections causing incorrect bandwidth reading in the menubar.
Fixed several issues with fan control settings not being applied in some conditions.
Fixed menubar layout issue with used/free mode in Disks.
Fixed layout issue with CPU history graphs in menubar in some situations.
Fixed issue in Time where the hour could be displayed wrong with some configurations.
Fixed issue with A/P display in world clocks.
Fixed issue with corrupt history databases.
Reduced disk write frequency of history databases.

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
Im a little worried about this... Hopefully its just an error. I just upgraded to iStat 4 and my PCI temps are showing as 129C! But my CPU B (which i dont have - quad core Mac Pro) is also showing as 129C. So is this just the default temp when there is no reading?

I have attached a screen shot of my temps if that helps.

Attachments

• iStat.jpg
    iStat.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 142

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Im a little worried about this... Hopefully its just an error. I just upgraded to iStat 4 and my PCI temps are showing as 129C! But my CPU B (which i dont have - quad core Mac Pro) is also showing as 129C. So is this just the default temp when there is no reading?

I have attached a screen shot of my temps if that helps.
Re-check your settings, I think iStat 4 switches over to Fahrenheit by default. Set it back to Celsius.

Edit: probably not your issue, after looking over your other temperatures...

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
Thank for the fast reply. It's definitely on Celsius.

Im wondering if it is the default reading when there is no reading available. It says my CPU B is 129C too but i dont have a CPU B. :confused:

My GPU doesnt feel hot at all.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I think you may be right about that default setting. When I upgraded the CPUs in my Mac Pro I forgot to connect the sensors on heatsink B and Temp monitor showed 129deg C from that sensor.

Bjango

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2011

Does your Mac Pro has one physical CPU with four cores? (There's different models... some have two cores per chip and two chips, so I'm just checking!)

Can you please choose Stats → Send Log Files so we can try to figure out what’s causing the issue? Thanks.

Not really that good, had lots of probs with new Mini, the culprit was iStatMenus.

"Beware" , iStatMenus 4(.0.2)

For anyone interested, please read this thread (there's a few replies now!).

This is normal behaviour with other temperature-monitoring applications so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

We'll do what we can. We try our best to buy or get access to as much hardware as possible for testing, so issues like this can often be solved.

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
Does your Mac Pro has one physical CPU with four cores? (There's different models... some have two cores per chip and two chips, so I'm just checking!)

Can you please choose Stats → Send Log Files so we can try to figure out what’s causing the issue? Thanks.

We'll do what we can. We try our best to buy or get access to as much hardware as possible for testing, so issues like this can often be solved.

Thanks Bjango,

I'll make sure it's set to send the log files tonight. And yes, its a single CPU system with 4 physical cores.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I updated to the latest version on both my 2007 and 2011 base mac mini's. The temps basically match the older version, and well within spec on both, so no problem so far. Still have to do my 2009 iMac

vbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
I want back please two old features.

1. The ability to see all CPU cores together like before version 4. (I mean without the need to hover over "User, system, nice, idle" section (less mouse moves)
2. The ability to see the Wattage of the machine on the sensors (like in previous versions before version 4).

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
After converting my Mac Mini to DIY Fusion Drive, I wanted to take a close look at what the individual drives were doing. I have the the iStat Menus V3.27 but V4 has the the ability to view the history of activity, which is nice because I want to monitor the "behind the curtains & after hours" activity of the SSD and the HDD. So, I downloaded the trial version and started to experiment. This also gave me an opportunity to see the differences between V3 and V4 of the iStat Menus. In some ways, I find V3 is better than V4. Yes, V4 gives more information on certain areas but V3 still presents information in a more concise and uncluttered way compared to V4. Will I upgrade? I'm not so sure, but if I decide to do so, I may do it not because I find V4 is better or preferable to V3 but just to support the developers. By the way, none of my Macs have a retina display so, V4's retina support is not a concern for me. Another different aspect is the availability of iStat Menus in the Appstore. Bjango's licensing states that it is for one copy for one Mac unless you buy a family pack. However, when you buy a program from the Appstore, you can use it on any of your Macs that you own and control. I have 5 Macs in my house and because of this alone, I prefer to buy my software from the Appstore.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I bought it with the MU bundle. Absolutely love it. It's really nice to know that i'm hardly even using my cpu most of the time on my iMac :cool:

fridolin85

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Love the iStat Menus app, but I am a network consultant and one thing that has always bothered me since v3 is that the network bandwidth only shows in Bytes, not Bits. Nobody really uses Bytes/s in networking so I have to constantly multiply by 8 in my head when looking at those values. It would be nice to have an option to pick between Bits or Bytes, like I recall existed in earlier versions of the app. Thanks!

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
We're totally fine with that! Please do keep using iStat Pro, iStat Nano (another widget we made) or iStat Menus 3 for as long as you like! We'll do what we can to entice you to use iStat Menus 4 by continuing to make it more awesome each update. :cool:

Which parts specifically don't you like about iStat Menus 4?

1) Custom colors do not apply to the pull down menus. However, it used to on version 3 and I see no reason why it shouldn't on version 4.

2) In your website, under the known issues, GPU shows 100% memory usage, you state that the problem is a driver issue and you cannot do anything about it. Yet I run istat menus 3.27 under OS X 10.8.5 and under 10.9 developers preview 8 with no such problem. However on both versions of OS X, istat menus 4 shows 100% GPU. So it appears that the problem is not caused by the drivers of the OS X but it originates from the istat menus 4. If version 3 works on all versions of OS X with no problem, you should be able to correct this bug in version 4.

3) Your pull down menus are too big and occupies too much of the screen. Version 3 was neater.

4) Calendar view was better on version 3 and I don't particularly care about the calendar appointments being shown in version 4.

Version 3 was already excellent and sometimes it is hard to improve on the original without spoiling it.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
1) Custom colors do not apply to the pull down menus. However, it used to on version 3 and I see no reason why it shouldn't on version 4.

2) In your website, under the known issues, GPU shows 100% memory usage, you state that the problem is a driver issue and you cannot do anything about it. Yet I run istat menus 3.27 under OS X 10.8.5 and under 10.9 developers preview 8 with no such problem. However on both versions of OS X, istat menus 4 shows 100% GPU. So it appears that the problem is not caused by the drivers of the OS X but it originates from the istat menus 4. If version 3 works on all versions of OS X with no problem, you should be able to correct this bug in version 4.

3) Your pull down menus are too big and occupies too much of the screen. Version 3 was neater.

4) Calendar view was better on version 3 and I don't particularly care about the calendar appointments being shown in version 4.

Version 3 was already excellent and sometimes it is hard to improve on the original without spoiling it.

i am coming from version 2 and trying the demo and i find the new look to be more clunky and less elegant. the calendar view is worse.

what was the reason to move from system prefs to an app?

there are lots of new features that make this a better version but the to me the app itself and its settings seem uninviting and un-mac like.

i would rather have the old look with all the new features with more customizability as mentioned above

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
i am coming from version 2 and trying the demo and i find the new look to be more clunky and less elegant. the calendar view is worse.

what was the reason to move from system prefs to an app?

there are lots of new features that make this a better version but the to me the app itself and its settings seem uninviting and un-mac like.

i would rather have the old look with all the new features with more customizability as mentioned above

I like to keep vital statistics on the menu bar so that I can monitor resource usage while programs are executing in the foreground. I monitor the disk activity, network activity and the CPU temp/fan speed most of the time. This is why I prefer the menu bar version to the system prefs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.