Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
They have a 14 day return policy (in the UK at least), if they refused an exchange people would just return instead and then buy a new one.

We also don't have an obligation to sell anyone anything. If I were in that Apple shop I'd have turned him away after 3 returns.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
We also don't have an obligation to sell anyone anything. If I were in that Apple shop I'd have turned him away after 3 returns.

Thats true, but its not really hard to come back later, another day, go to another store (I have four near me), etc. Once you have a 14 day return policy theres only so much you can do to stop this kind of behaviour. And as per a previous posters comments, such behaviour is only going to hurt consumers in the long run, as companies that try to do the right thing are forced to pull/constrain such policies :(

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Threads like these make me want to put out a pixel check program that detects if it's running on an rMBP, and displays slowly-moving yellow splotches. :)

Reactions: New_Mac_Smell

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
8 is hardcore. I don't have the capacity to do that many. Maybe 3 max before I start to feel ashamed for returning it that many times.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
How do people like the OP buy a car? Expecting perfection for a couple grand doesn't make much sense.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
A lot of the complaints about screens confuse me. I understand there is a price thing involved with MacBooks but a lot of the stuff that gets criticised is stuff that has been known issue with consumer screens for years. I mean going back well over a decade. The super duper accurate screens that match what people are looking for cost more then the laptops do just for the screen.

I can understand people wanting the best screen but I never new people were returning laptops so often until I came to this forum.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
As this is such an old thread think about how many he's taken back since? 24 maybe?

Think how much extra that's cost us all!

If that was even possible. You can return as much as you like for a window of up to 14/15? days at Apple, up to 45 days at Best Buy, if you are one of their Elite Plus rewards member.

Last edited:

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
As this is such an old thread think about how many he's taken back since? 24 maybe?

Think how much extra that's cost us all!

No. What you want to do is think that if Apple got it right in the first place you wouldn't be paying so much for Apple products. Don't blame him he just wanted what he paid for surely.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No. What you want to do is think that if Apple got it right in the first place you wouldn't be paying so much for Apple products. Don't blame him he just wanted what he paid for surely.
Actually a severe yellow tint is fixed by calibrating your monitor, not returning the screen.
If you want a uniform decent screen, you don't buy apple. Or do what I do. Have an Apple computer hooked up to a decent monitor (NEC Spectraview in my case).
Apples award winning customer service is one of the reasons they charge so much in the first place. I don't mind paying for it because I've tried the other options and I don't like them.

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Actually a severe yellow tint is fixed by calibrating your monitor, not returning the screen.
If you want a uniform decent screen, you don't buy apple. Or do what I do. Have an Apple computer hooked up to a decent monitor (NEC Spectraview in my case).
Apples award winning customer service is one of the reasons they charge so much in the first place. I don't mind paying for it because I've tried the other options and I don't like them.
I tried calibrating it on a rented Spyder Pro but was unable to get rid of the tint. Someone did though and have posted 3 Spyder profiles on the net that can be downloaded. They made a big difference. See link at the end of my comment. I don't understand why there is bad uniformity on these highly lauded Retina screens. I've taken mine back for it's third screen and will get it back today. The only thing I'm expecting is it will be no different but maybe I'll be in for a shocking surprise and it will be better. If you're a photographer, which I am, or are in another profession where a colour correct screen is crucial then forget the MacBook Pro. My 2011 MacBook with a high res matte screen is still close to perfect for a laptop. 2 logic board replacements and just waiting for it to die again. It's why I got the 2014 recently still under warranty. I travel a lot and require my laptop to make income. I can't carry around an external monitor. Anyway after weeks and months and wads of money and lost income trying to sort this out I now accept that unless Apple make a machine with photographers in mind then my 20 something years as an Apple user are over. So be it. Here's the link to the profiles… https://www.mediafire.com/?isedd81pdca4p05,3d7q6ueepjj4gbu,q9s07bfw7r6699w

Last edited:

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
I tried calibrating it on a rented Spyder Pro but was unable to get rid of the tint. Someone did though and have posted 3 Spyder profiles on the net that can be downloaded. They made a big difference. See link at the end of my comment. I don't understand why there is bad uniformity on these highly lauded Retina screens. I've taken mine back for it's third screen and will get it back today. The only thing I'm expecting is it will be no different but maybe I'll be in for a shocking surprise and it will be better. If you're not a photographer, which I am, or are in another profession where a colour correct screen is crucial then forget the MacBook Pro. My 2011 MacBook with a high res matte screen is still close to perfect for a laptop. 2 logic board replacements and just waiting for it to die again. It's why I got the 2014 recently still under warranty. I travel a lot and require my laptop to make income. I can't carry around an external monitor. Anyway after weeks and months and wads of money and lost income trying to sort this out I now accept that unless Apple make a machine with photographers in mind then my 20 something years as an Apple user are over. So be it. Here's the link to the profiles… https://www.mediafire.com/?isedd81pdca4p05,3d7q6ueepjj4gbu,q9s07bfw7r6699w

Ok not including the matte screens. Does any current laptop made by anyone give you what you want? I only ask as nobody has yet really talked about the possibility that this could just be what its like for laptop screens in general. I myself don't know.

I just want to know if this is an over expectation of laptop screens or something else hardware related.

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Ok not including the matte screens. Does any current laptop made by anyone give you what you want? I only ask as nobody has yet really talked about the possibility that this could just be what its like for laptop screens in general. I myself don't know.

I just want to know if this is an over expectation of laptop screens or something else hardware related.
I haven't looked exhaustively but have been into a couple of the big retail stores and looked at Dell, HP, Asus and Microsoft. I found that pretty much the only ones that gave almost perfect whites and greys were the one's with matte screens. I also find that the higher the resolution of the screen i.e. 4k or just below, almost all of them have some kind of colour cast. I'm not sure you need a laptop screen with such a high resolution. It's only a relatively small space to fill. The gaming laptops with matte screens seemed to be the best in as far as being colour correct. My hi res matte screen on my 2011 Macbook is great and that's 1680 x 1050. I wish they still manufactured them.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
I haven't looked exhaustively but have been into a couple of the big retail stores and looked at Dell, HP, Asus and Microsoft. I found that pretty much the only ones that gave almost perfect whites and greys were the one's with matte screens. I also find that the higher the resolution of the screen i.e. 4k or just below, almost all of them have some kind of colour cast. I'm not sure you need a laptop screen with such a high resolution. It's only a relatively small space to fill. The gaming laptops with matte screens seemed to be the best in as far as being colour correct. My hi res matte screen on my 2011 Macbook is great and that's 1680 x 1050. I wish they still manufactured them.

I am wondering if it is just something to do with glossy screens in general on laptops.

Reactions: andrewj44

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yeah I can understand that. Ive been looking into eizo's and they have their own matt type screen. They also have some sort of proprietary tech that makes the screen uniform from corner to corner edge to edge.
Well they are certainly a good option! Get the CG one if you can afford it. We have them at work (among others).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.