Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Well I guess the solution to this problem is to stay out of the darkroom. To me this “scientific experiment is the equilivent of holding up a black light to a black shirt. You can see all the lint at it looks dirty, but turn the lights back on and it looks fine. Solution is to stay away from black lights. You can always find problems if you go looking for them. I used to be OCD, but tried very hard to let some things go. It takes a lot of time and effort to find fault or look for perfection in everything. Really curious to know what you went through to come up with the darkroom screen test. Good luck on your quest for perfection.

Except I can see a red tint on the left hand side of my phone right now as I type this post in day light? It’s very obvious. I simply did that so it shows up well in photos. I don’t want perfection, just an acceptable variance. People like you are the reason Apple has such awful quality standards. It’s better for the profit margins to allow people like me to return as many as we want than it is to provide proper quality screens since most people don’t care.

My 55” 4K Samsung LED has great uniformity compared to these phones. Also my 4 year old work Blackberry has perfect uniformity as well. It cost 1/3 of this phone.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
And the profiles were created by someone with the same 2014 Retina screen, not a different display with different characteristics.

You are making an incorrect assumption that a display in the same model range necessarily has the same colour characteristics. The displays rolling off the very same production line can be and are very different. If you wanted this feature then you would be paying a lot more for your laptop.

It's not helpful to advise people any differently.
[doublepost=1507394673][/doublepost]
The older ones have a plastic cover over the lens which can discolour over time.
Personally I'd recommend the i1 Display Pro as it has the best results in my experience.

Yep. The i1 DP is much better than the Spyder.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Let me just tell you about my experience with my new MBP 13".

I bought the 8gb and the display looked great at first but then I noticed at angles it had pink and blue tinges. It just felt a bit cheap at angles but head-on it looked great.

I then decided to swap it for a 16gb one because I felt I needed to future-proof it a bit better.

The 16gb came and I still had the 8gb. All looked good at first but then I just opened both displays up and put a white page up on screen. Wow... the difference was incredible and I was shocked. The new 16gb was far far warmer (yellow?) than the 8gb. However, at different angles the new 16gb was far better!

So, the warmer screen of the 16gb was way better at angles but worse head-on. Whites aren't as bright or white. I checked both displays and the 8gb is A033 and the 16gb new one is A034.

Plus, I think the 16gb has a slightly dimmer right side.

I had to send the 8gb back but now I can't stop thinking about this display. I'm going to order another. This is truly incredible that a display can be so much different (and not as bright!) as another same MBP.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Let me just tell you about my experience with my new MBP 13".

I bought the 8gb and the display looked great at first but then I noticed at angles it had pink and blue tinges. It just felt a bit cheap at angles but head-on it looked great.

I then decided to swap it for a 16gb one because I felt I needed to future-proof it a bit better.

The 16gb came and I still had the 8gb. All looked good at first but then I just opened both displays up and put a white page up on screen. Wow... the difference was incredible and I was shocked. The new 16gb was far far warmer (yellow?) than the 8gb. However, at different angles the new 16gb was far better!

So, the warmer screen of the 16gb was way better at angles but worse head-on. Whites aren't as bright or white. I checked both displays and the 8gb is A033 and the 16gb new one is A034.

Plus, I think the 16gb has a slightly dimmer right side.

I had to send the 8gb back but now I can't stop thinking about this display. I'm going to order another. This is truly incredible that a display can be so much different (and not as bright!) as another same MBP.
Buy a calibration tool and they will look the same!
No Apple screen is sold with uniformity. If you need that buy something else.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Buy a calibration tool and they will look the same!
No Apple screen is sold with uniformity. If you need that buy something else.

You can’t calibrate the unevenness out of an uneven screen. Please tell me how you would calibrate the right and left side differently?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You can’t calibrate the unevenness out of an uneven screen. Please tell me how you would calibrate the right and left side differently?
I think you actually need to read what I wrote.
The bit about Apple screens don't come with uniformity.
Erasr was talking about two screens with different brightness and colour temperature. The exact thing calibration will fix rather than returning a perfectly good laptop.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I think you actually need to read what I wrote.
The bit about Apple screens don't come with uniformity.
Erasr was talking about two screens with different brightness and colour temperature. The exact thing calibration will fix rather than returning a perfectly good laptop.

Fair enough.

You can’t do that on the iPhone though, unfortunately. I tried messing around in display accommodations and I can’t get the 2 8+ I have now to look the same.
[doublepost=1507407092][/doublepost]Which of these is closer to being correct?
I don’t get how they can advertise how accurate the colour is but the 2 displays can be that different.

474F7ACF-D4CD-4C82-9E3E-BE8C95C2E7F5.png
81B72F03-86A5-498D-A4AC-B18573D2346F.png
BE09C4A8-BA4D-48A1-9775-5183BC89DF94.png

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Fair enough.

You can’t do that on the iPhone though, unfortunately. I tried messing around in display accommodations and I can’t get the 2 8+ I have now to look the same.
[doublepost=1507407092][/doublepost]Which of these is closer to being correct?
I don’t get how they can advertise how accurate the colour is but the 2 displays can be that different.

474F7ACF-D4CD-4C82-9E3E-BE8C95C2E7F5.png
81B72F03-86A5-498D-A4AC-B18573D2346F.png
BE09C4A8-BA4D-48A1-9775-5183BC89DF94.png
Actually you can with an i1 Display. But taking a photo of a screen doesn't really show what you see in the real world. The white balance on your camera will affect the colour of the image.

They might say it's accurate colour but I'd not use it for pro work where colour is important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.