Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satirev

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
Question, hopefully someone can answer this for me.

If I gift this app to someone, and its pulled from the store, will they still be able to download it if it is pulled before they claim the gift?

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
The last time I remember MacRumors touting a 'better get it quick before it's gone' app was this App that enabled you to take pictures with the volume button on the iPhone. What MacRumors maybe should have done is to buy the app themselves to find out if it really worked or not.

I guess they didn't because it was a piece of crap that never worked from the first minute. Apple didn't need to pull it as it didn't work.

So does this new app work or is a piece of crap too? MacRumors doesn't know, they just talk.

BTW I decided, What the hell, and just bought it, if it doesn't work I'm going to complain even more!

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Cellular IP addresses are very off. Mine says I'm in Illinois, but I'm in PA. It even says that when I'm in Florida.

The advantage is that it always changes, right? Never get banned from anything ;)?

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Cellular IP addresses are very off. Mine says I'm in Illinois, but I'm in PA. It even says that when I'm in Florida.

My HTC Thunderbolt says I am in Kansas while tethering on 4G LTE, because of the IP prefix. But when I tether on 3G, it gives my exact metro area location.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Are there going to be updates (stability-wise, etc) on this app? If so, how are we supposed to get that update if Apple pulls it from the store?

Netshare worked for a surprisingly long time. I can't ever get it to work anymore, however. Hopefully this thing will have a long life too. Even so, if it works for only a month that's still cheaper than the extra $20/mo I'd be paying AT&T. Hopefully it at least lasts the duration of iOS 5, and barring any huge changes to the iOS platform before then (unlikely), I believe it will.

Anyone running 5.1 with this app having any issues? Just got back from Thanksgiving stuff and haven't loaded the latest dev build.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
wow, it does work. It's not super fast but not bad at all for regular surfing.
Man, that was the main reason I was looking into JB my iPhone. Now I don't need to go through that hassle.

Great job MR for giving us this tip!

This will save me lots of money and it's totally worth it. I think folks now just need to be smart and not overuse so AT&T won't get suspicious.

Damn, I gave so much money for their unlimited data in the last 3.5 years and barely use it that much. Now it's payback time! Damn you AT&T! :D

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
What's the possibility that the Mac part of the App is spyware?

I bought it because I didn't want to miss out... but I'm hesitant to install this on my work laptop just yet...

Derek

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Can someone tell me if you can run this app with the iPhone asleep?

Yup! I'm using it now with my phone locked. Simply open up the app and connect it with your computer, then lock your phone. The screen will be off, but since the App was the last thing on your screen before you locked it it will still be in the "foreground" and will work perfectly!

futch

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Not working for me. Says please register your copy when i load it on my iPhone and my computer keeps saying tproxy quit unexpectedly. This sucks. Hopefully I get it working.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I bought it because I didn't want to miss out... but I'm hesitant to install this on my work laptop just yet...

Pretty low. Seems to be a well known Blackberry app too.

arn

melymel96

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I bought the app but I can't get to the website to download the mac client. Can someone email it to me please? The website gives a 503 error

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I used to tether illegally, but now I pay monthly for it... :p I wish it was free, but it's not. Using this app still goes against your T&T terms of service, if I'm not mistaken.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Well, I just found this persons general geolocation with it.

I don't think it matters with cell phones. Whenever I use Verizon 3G, it always shows me in NC or SC (can't remember which) when I'm not in either of those states. Additionally, I think whenever I use Sprint 3G, it shows that I am in Kansas when I'm not there, either.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The last time I remember MacRumors touting a 'better get it quick before it's gone' app was this App that enabled you to take pictures with the volume button on the iPhone. What MacRumors maybe should have done is to buy the app themselves to find out if it really worked or not.

I guess they didn't because it was a piece of crap that never worked from the first minute. Apple didn't need to pull it as it didn't work.

So does this new app work or is a piece of crap too? MacRumors doesn't know, they just talk.

Did you miss all the comments from the owner of this website who verified that it worked, or from all the users, myself included, that also verified that it worked? Or the hundreds of people on Twitter? Would you rather MacRumors not report on this at all? Because if they didn't, I likely would have missed NetShare and iDOS, which were both AMAZING.

By the way, 9to5Mac's Mark Gurman was the first one to verify this, and he wouldn't post this if it were crap.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Yup! I'm using it now with my phone locked. Simply open up the app and connect it with your computer, then lock your phone. The screen will be off, but since the App was the last thing on your screen before you locked it it will still be in the "foreground" and will work perfectly!

Thanks. Something that's making me hesitant about switching to iPhone is that applications don't run in the background. So I dunno if I really wanna jump ship yet

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

cacophony555 said:
Does this allow you to share the internet connection with other wifi devices such as ipods, other iphones, etc ?

No. Did you read the article? It said clearly it works on Mac/PC over USB.

Ozy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Goodyear, AZ
Mine says

License: Expired

Their site is getting hammered hard. I'm not sure if I have to register the DeviceID on their site first before it will work. If so, this is kinda not good. I don't want my connectivity to be dependent on a license check every time the app starts up.

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010

Derek

Same here. I purchased the iPhone app and downloaded the Mac app, but got suspicious and canceled my installation of the latter about halfway through.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The advantage is that it always changes, right? Never get banned from anything ;)?

The public IP address doesn't really change often and there are usually many, many people sharing the same IP. But your private one within the cell network does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.