Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidrock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
The Evergreen State College
What should apple put in the next iTunes five that will probably come out with the next system? One thing I would really like to see is a wish list, so when we find an album we like we can put it in a list and not have to search for it all over again. What do you guys think would advance iTunes?

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
a built in mp3 editor. maybe tied into garageband. something like iPhoto so i can click on the 'edit' button then do things like cut off the last 2 seconds of silence on some songs, or those 2 songs on an album that run into each other i can just clip together very simpily.

how about a pitch and speed controler so i can dj off of my PB.

a request song field in iTMS so if enough people request a certain song NOT found on iTMS then maybe the company that ones that song will realize they can make some money and will let the song be sold on iTMS.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
acidrock said:
What should apple put in the next iTunes five that will probably come out with the next system? One thing I would really like to see is a wish list, so when we find an album we like we can put it in a list and not have to search for it all over again. What do you guys think would advance iTunes?

Auto Album cover downloads.

Links to bands sites with downloads.

More than 128 Bit AAC downloads, say 160 if one wants for better quality.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Support for more kinds of meta-data, even if it's only in the iTunes DB, and not directly contained in the music file. Things like lyrics, special mentions, liner notes, etc...

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
1) The same thing I'd like to see in iPhoto 5.... multiple libraries. I hate having every song I've ever imported all in one library. all my wife's stuff, all my kids stuff, all my stuff. when i import new stuff with the automatic read & import option, it all gets dumped in there. i only have a few hundered songs., it must be a right pain for folks with thousands of songs.

2) Also, not having to go to preferences to change the export type... surely all export options could be offered all the time!

3) Being able to burn a selection to disc. i.e. select 10 files, command-click and select burn selection to disc. and if all the songs have the same artist and album name, then it would automatically use those as the CD title.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
Savage Henry said:
As long as the music store makes it over here I wouldn't care if it came with a dose of plague.

Well I would, but at least the music store would somewhat comefort me in those few days left :)

Very true, just hope Apple get the iTMS over here soon... :rolleyes:

ph8te

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2004
Germany
Duplicate sorting

Since here at the office we have not yet migrated to OS X, and at home I only have a PC, my request might already be built in, but I would not know.

iTunes should have a function to sort out the duplicates, retaining originals with the best quality, and such

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
wPod said:
a request song field in iTMS so if enough people request a certain song NOT found on iTMS then maybe the company that ones that song will realize
they can make some money and will let the song be sold on iTMS.

...they already have this feature built in. Its on the left column under the feedback & requests section

What I want to see is bands like IMA ROBOT, who used to be on the store, returned to the store. Their album was yanked, with no explanation as to why or when it will return. Now i cant forward my friends to their single the legit way....

TBR

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
iTunes 5 should have some cool new features not just old features expanded, more id tags etc.

The ability to auto beatmatch would be very cool for playlist creation allowing you to specify a BPM and iTunes will do it's best to create a constant uninterupted stream of mixed music.

Maybe some cool DJ-esque tools to allow iTunes to become a very cool DJ tool. Almost an automatic DJ. This would be very cool.

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
wPod said:
a built in mp3 editor. maybe tied into garageband. something like iPhoto so i can click on the 'edit' button then do things like cut off the last 2 seconds of silence on some songs, or those 2 songs on an album that run into each other i can just clip together very simpily.

You can already do that by going into get info: options, and selecting the start and stop time.

phillyag

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
iTunes wish list

acidrock said:

Definitely a wish list. I feel a little weird placing 50 or so songs in my shopping cart so I don't have to search ...... just think if someone got into my account..... yikes. Also you could email that list to family, friends, etc.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Here is one feature iTunes could use: MP4 video

I would love to see some kind of multi-disc feeder with a fast CD-ROM drive that we could load all our Audio CDs into. This thing would work with iTunes 5 and togeter they could convert a music library in one go.

In the software I would love to see MP4 integration so that purchases from the iTunes Music Store could include videos. It would not be selling films but it could test the technologies that will go into film downloads in the distant future.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Definately a lyrics tag. Then you could sync with you iPod and have the lyrics displayed on screen! Kinda like iLyric does right now, but better integration. People could write scripts to auto find lyrics and add to your songs.

tompatros

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2002
Robust ID Tag Editing

I'd like to see some more robust ID tag editing, ideally from within the iTunes Library list. Sometimes, songs don't show up where I expect them on my iPod, so that's why I'm a stickler for maintaining good tags.

I'd like the lis to function more like a spreadsheet program, where you could edit a cell, then drag that value across several rows to, say, correct and entire album from a given artist. Paging through and editing tags one-by-one is just painful.

Currently, I store all my music on a seperate server, so I keep ZERO mp3s on my PowerBook. However, I only use my PowerBook to update my iPod. It would be nice if you could set up iTunes to automatically check a remote server for new songs, as I am always doing an "add to library.." and then pointing to new folders on the remote box.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
limpidezza said:
You can already do that by going into get info: options, and selecting the start and stop time.

yes, but that implies you know exactly where you want the song to start/end. . . im thinking more of like a graphic representation of the song (such as you see when you import a clip in garageband) and possibly more editing options tied in with garageband. . . like i could take a clip of beats from the end of the song and copy it a couple times to extend the time to mix with another song.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
tompatros said:
... Paging through and editing tags one-by-one is just painful...

Are you aware that you can change all the tags on a set of songs by selecting them, then using 'Get Info'? You get a dialog that allows you to set whichever tags you want on all selected songs to a given value.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 188

tompatros

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2002
Snowy_River said:
Are you aware that you can change all the tags on a set of songs by selecting them, then using 'Get Info'? You get a dialog that allows you to set whichever tags you want on all selected songs to a given value.

I never tried that - that is quite handy! I guess that works for now, but I'll still put a plug in for my idea :)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Automaticly Parse File Names that contain Title, Artist, Track into approate ID3 fields and then file the file appropriately. Free/automatic Album Cover download. Allow the adding of "Album Covers" to Streaming Files.

And my number one complaint, and Hope they fix...

Whenever I'm updating my iPod, or transfering any files, no matter how large of small, my sound skips, in iTunes, VLC, or QT. It is annoying, and I want something done, at the very least to store whole songs in the RAM to try to alieviate the skipping problem.

TEG

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
A couple of people have mentioned 'iLyric'. I've looked it up and I'm quite interested. Unfortunately, it seems that the download is currently unavailable from End Production's site. Does anyone have a copy that they could send me?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
WISH LIST WISH LIST WISH LIST...I WISH FOR A WISH LIST!

ChrisH3677 said:
1) The same thing I'd like to see in iPhoto 5.... multiple libraries. I hate having every song I've ever imported all in one library. all my wife's stuff, all my kids stuff, all my stuff. when i import new stuff with the automatic read & import option, it all gets dumped in there. i only have a few hundered songs., it must be a right pain for folks with thousands of songs.

I agree, but even better have music be able to be set up in a folder type structure like rolls of film in iPHoto, but be grouped how you want...genre, band name, album, etc. then you can close all the groups and or genre's you dont want to scan though or even play and just view the ones you want to.

I also think the biggest fault of iTMusic Store is the lack of a wish list. I have had this come up several times that I search for music and with the great marketing they do on iTMS with suggested picks, etc. I end up with more music than I can buy at that point in time so I have to delete some of them from my shopping cart...so I end up not remembering all that I wanted to buy the next time I purchase music. Would also be nice (but not necessary) would be the ability to have others search for your wish list and purchase music for you and the next time you show up at ITMS your selected wish list choices automatically download!

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
acidrock said:

Here is what I would really like to see in the next version of iTunes.

1. The ability to convert iTunes purchased, and protected AAC files to other formats (AIFF,WAV,MP3 etc.) as long as it is limited,for burning to CD since none of my CD players will play MP3 or other formats except for WAV and AIFF.

2. Support for WMA and other file formats, (Ogg Vorbis, Flac, ASF etc.) that way I wouldn't need Windows Media Player or the Napster player to play music in these formats.

3.The ability to uncheck groups of songs in a playlist. (especially useful for Shared playlists)

stuckwithme247

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Mac Dummy said:
Here is what I would really like to see in the next version of iTunes.

1. The ability to convert iTunes purchased, and protected AAC files to other formats (AIFF,WAV,MP3 etc.) as long as it is limited,for burning to CD since none of my CD players will play MP3 or other formats except for WAV and AIFF.

2. Support for WMA and other file formats, (Ogg Vorbis, Flac, ASF etc.) that way I wouldn't need Windows Media Player or the Napster player to play music in these formats.

3.The ability to uncheck groups of songs in a playlist. (especially useful for Shared playlists)

1. Well i don't think there is such thing as a "protected" AIFF file...

3. You can already do that by selecting a group of songs and command clicking the check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.