Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It's all a grey area.

Fare Use is to make a BACKUP of it - means to copy the DVD to another DVD-R keeping the MPEG-2 format.

When you encode it to another format - that becomes debatable.

At least with the Fox DVD's, they make it legal by providing their own DRM'ed copy for use on other video players.

Nice job Fox, please include them also on the Blu-ray discs (oh, access via a PS3, transfer to your Mac via USB drive? Or would we have to get a Blu-ray drive for Mac to access it?)

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
I wonder if the Blu-Ray copies will have the Apple versions also? Would be a smart move on their part - I would be far less motivated to find some way to digitize my blu-ray HD movies if I had aa on-disk-copy of even lowly iPod/iPhone quality.

And I do so hope we see AC-3 or some other true DD5.1 sound track option or better. On a different thread someone said that Dolby Pro Logic II was good enough - huh? Just did a test run of one such rip for my PS3 (considering ripping my 800 or so DVDs to a media server) against the DVD - the loss of the true center speaker is pronounced and massively inferior to even my tin ear (the picture actually looked better - bet it was the PS3's upscaling). Now doing a H.264/AC-3 rip which rumor says will play on the PS3 but not the AppleTV.

Please Apple make DD5.1 or something similar the standard next Tuesday - that would make your downloadable movies, Fox's on disk copies and AppleTV far more attractive.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I wonder if the Blu-Ray copies will have the Apple versions also? Would be a smart move on their part - I would be far less motivated to find some way to digitize my blu-ray HD movies if I had aa on-disk-copy of even lowly iPod/iPhone quality.

If they put it on Blu-ray, it BETTER have an Apple compatible copy. Why would anyone play the smaller file on a PS3 when they can just slip the Blu-ray disc in?

Unless Sony plans on putting a PSP version of the file on the Blu-ray disc to play only on PSP's and Walkmans, but not any Apple devices...

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
You do know that computers can display images? What's the difference between posting a screenshot and taking a picture of the screenshot when it's in preview? None. If anything, a photo makes it less credible since it's harder to see the details and to determine if it's fake.

In fact, it still could be a fake.

Really, if you are going to fake something you need to make it worthwhile, in the scheme of things this is a small story and a hell of a lot of hassle to go to to get a thread on the front page of a forum.

bluedevil14

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2006
Washington, DC
I think this is a good deal for both sides. The movie companies can keep selling their DVDs, and iPod and iTunes users can still get their content. It would be more convenient downloading from iTunes though.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
If they put it on Blu-ray, it BETTER have an Apple compatible copy. Why would anyone play the smaller file on a PS3 when they can just slip the Blu-ray disc in?

Unless Sony plans on putting a PSP version of the file on the Blu-ray disc to play only on PSP's and Walkmans, but not any Apple devices...

The whole point of this story is that the disk has a version that requires iTunes. You really think they'd require iTunes for a version that only ran on PCs and PSP? Of course this will be apple compatible, with iTunes they can ship a file that plays on mac, pc, and iPod.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
The whole point of this story is that the disk has a version that requires iTunes. You really think they'd require iTunes for a version that only ran on PCs and PSP? Of course this will be apple compatible, with iTunes they can ship a file that plays on mac, pc, and iPod.

Yeah but my question was about blu-ray, not DVDs. We don't know if the iPod/iPhone version will be included on the blu-ray disc equivalents. The recent Harry Potter DVD that offered the free download of a .wmv version of the movie ISN'T on the blu-ray edition. I'm not assuming there will be with the Fox offer either until we see it.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
DVD player doesn't have to be in full screen mode.;)

Umm..okay. Well, pop in a DVD and try taking a screenshot while DVD player is running...even NOT in full screen mode. It will not let you and will tell you that you cannot take a screenshot while DVD player is running.

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Actually, I don't think it is legal for you to do so. According to the DMCA, any attempt to "circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title," is prohibited. In order to rip a DVD, encryption has to be broken.

Ah, and you assume I live where the DCMA matters. Even if it did... on a practical note, I still CAN easily enough.

P.S. I thought DeCSS was grandfathered in and/or has been tested in court under fair use doctrine?

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

Attachments

• Picture 19.jpg
    Picture 19.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 119

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV

SHH! You can't just run around sharing these secrets, you know! Next thing you know, we'll have oodles of newbies running around typing ctrl+opt+cmd+8 and freaking out their parents! Or using shift+F12 to convince their parents that their MB is too old and slow to handle Dashboard and they need to buy a new Mac Pro! Or, worse yet, finding the cmd+w easter egg!

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
SHH! You can't just run around sharing these secrets, you know! Next thing you know, we'll have oodles of newbies running around typing ctrl+opt+cmd+8 and freaking out their parents! Or using shift+F12 to convince their parents that their MB is too old and slow to handle Dashboard and they need to buy a new Mac Pro! Or, worse yet, finding the cmd+w easter egg!

Noooo I didn't do that, not enough fingers ;) I just used Screen Sharing from another Mac lol

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
jeez

Cool :) (in regards the iTunes update), but sad that you actually spent money on that piece of misery known as "family Guy." :(

Why does everybody have to comment on all the irrelevant bits of a post. go somewhere else troll....

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

And I do so hope we see AC-3 or some other true DD5.1 sound track option or better. On a different thread someone said that Dolby Pro Logic II was good enough - huh? Just did a test run of one such rip for my PS3 (considering ripping my 800 or so DVDs to a media server) against the DVD - the loss of the true center speaker is pronounced and massively inferior to even my tin ear (the picture actually looked better - bet it was the PS3's upscaling). Now doing a H.264/AC-3 rip which rumor says will play on the PS3 but not the AppleTV.

Please Apple make DD5.1 or something similar the standard next Tuesday - that would make your downloadable movies, Fox's on disk copies and AppleTV far more attractive.

I said that because it a true. The center speaker Is the same as 5.1. The .1 is the subwoofer. That is the difference, and most sound systems pass along a bass channel anyway. If it sounds off then make sure your receiver is set to decode Dolby prologic II so the 5 channel get decoded correctly.

I agree with you though that I want true 5.1 support. I just am more interested in HD picture quality than the sound should I have to choose. I would take Apple TV 720p quality files with Dolby Pro Logic II any day.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I said that because it a true. The center speaker Is the same as 5.1. The .1 is the subwoofer. That is the difference, and most sound systems pass along a bass channel anyway. If it sounds off then make sure your receiver is set to decode Dolby prologic II so the 5 channel get decoded correctly.

I agree with you though that I want true 5.1 support. I just am more interested in HD picture quality than the sound should I have to choose. I would take Apple TV 720p quality files with Dolby Pro Logic II any day.

Dolby Pro Logic is meant for two channel analog content or two channel PCM content with something embedded in it. It is not discrete. Bluray is leaving DD and DTS behind and going with PCM/Dolby True HD/DTS-HD-MA. I am surprised Apple cannot handle a simple DD 5.1 when even stupid cable companies can. My local news is in DD 5.1 (KMBC - Kansas City).

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Dolby Pro Logic is meant for two channel analog content or two channel PCM content with something embedded in it. It is not discrete. Bluray is leaving DD and DTS behind and going with PCM/Dolby True HD/DTS-HD-MA. I am surprised Apple cannot handle a simple DD 5.1 when even stupid cable companies can. My local news is in DD 5.1 (KMBC - Kansas City).

I agree that it is not discrete, nor is it on par with the HD Audio Codecs...however, it is 5-Channel Surround if processed properly (Dolby Prologic II, Prologic I is only 4 which is the current choice on the Apple Store). The audio chip on the Apple TV is more than capable of handling up to 7.1 channels, it is about quicktime supporting the proper audio or the unit being able to process AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital Surround on the fly since most receivers cannot handle AAC 5.1.

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV

Bleah, who needs TrueHD or DTS Mastur besides theaters? AC-3 and DTS are fine for 99.999999% of everyone... which I guess is why support for the wank codecs are optional for Blu-Ray players.

I agree about Apple's lack of support for Surround, though. I was fairly irritated that I had to buy a new sound system to get it from the Apple TV and Mac mini...

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002

No, Dolby Pro Logic II is merely 2 channels with muxed versions of the center and rear channels. While you can get by with the decoded rear channels, the simulated center channel is not anywhere near the quality of the original. And my Harmon Kardon is decoding it to 5 channels, just isn't the quality of original heard through the same receiver switching between the DVD and the QT movie.

And I guess we don't agree on HD either - 720 is baby HD and of not too much interest to me. Lets just get the minimal industry standard of 5.1 (shoot most TV shows are 5.1 now) before we worry about them stretching themselves beyond the minimum of DVD standards they haven't yet reached.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
It might not be the highest HD resolution out there, but using 720p would make downloads much less painful than trying to download a 1080p version. It'd still be pretty darn slow for a lot of the United States, since our broadband speeds are pretty bad, especially outside of major metropolitan areas.

I do agree with you though ; let's get 480p, let the AppleTV (or other device) upconvert, and get discrete 5.1 sound before we go expecting more. The problem is AC3 isn't part of the MP4 standard, no matter how much we want it to be. We'll need something to convert AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1 on-the-fly, or receivers that can decode AAC natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.