Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Ah, and you assume I live where the DCMA matters. Even if it did... on a practical note, I still CAN easily enough.

P.S. I thought DeCSS was grandfathered in and/or has been tested in court under fair use doctrine?

The DMCA is a tricky beast, and hasn't really been tested in court. Nobody seems to have the balls to challenge it yet, but everyone wants to use it as a bludgeon in order to get someone to settle out of court.

However, the DMCA has a couple clauses stating that it does not override fair use (meaning that in certain situations, it is indeed legal to circumvent the DRM)... but again, never tested in court to see exactly how far it goes.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Only just got round to reading this. It's very interesting and thanks for sharing mr echo

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I seriously believe there are people here who would still be chanting, "fake, it's not true!", even after it's announced at the keynote. Do you need to hold it in your hands to believe it? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think apple should have pushed harder for branding on this deal. Seeing as it seems they conceded pricing so much they could have at least asked Fox & others to stamp the front of every DVD box with the "made of ipod" logo ;)

A small logo on the front of ever DVD box would be worth billions to apple in the long run.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah but my question was about blu-ray, not DVDs. We don't know if the iPod/iPhone version will be included on the blu-ray disc equivalents. The recent Harry Potter DVD that offered the free download of a .wmv version of the movie ISN'T on the blu-ray edition. I'm not assuming there will be with the Fox offer either until we see it.

Assuming we get BD playback support, then there would be no reason to not also include the iTunes version on disc.

I agree that it is not discrete, nor is it on par with the HD Audio Codecs...however, it is 5-Channel Surround if processed properly (Dolby Prologic II, Prologic I is only 4 which is the current choice on the Apple Store). The audio chip on the Apple TV is more than capable of handling up to 7.1 channels, it is about quicktime supporting the proper audio or the unit being able to process AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital Surround on the fly since most receivers cannot handle AAC 5.1.

Dolby Prologic IIx can create 6 or 7.1 sound. Still not discreet though. So channel separation wont be as precise.

The Riz

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
The "message" of Family Guy (such as it is), is that we are all shallow, cruel and selfish people and it's humour comes from a very uncool, relishing of that fact. Whomever writes it must have a particularly cruel bent, and an almost hopeless view of humanity in general. I'm betting that he used to pull wings off of flies as a child. ;)

IMO, if you are the kind of person that laughs out loud at "America's Funniest Videos" when a baby bashes it's head on the sharp edge of a coffee table, then you will find Family Guy hilarious.

I think you are being a little harsh in your assessement of the Family Guy. Yes Family Guy's humor is a little dark, but they are not the first and are not the most sucessful show to be based around dark humor.

Seinfeld for example was built on a premise that there would be no hugging and no learning. No one in that show would be redeemable by your standards. Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David wanted to be sure that no one in the show had anything redeemable about themselves.

Seinfeld is argueably the greatest sitcom in American television history. Sitcoms and cartoons are a non-reality they are a way to step out of our worlds and be entertained it gives us a chance to laugh at premises that are not real. The Family Guy entertains and makes light of society in general and is fun.

Your premise that Family Guy fans would laugh at a kid getting hurt in a real situation is judgemental and rude. Just because you do not like it doesn't make you the authority on what is exceptable and unexceptable tv.

Skitals

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Hmm, I definitely saw Blue Harvest in a Redbox last night (rented Benders Big Score). Maybe I'll have to go get it and see what happens when I pop it in my computer.

bobcb

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Relating back to the topic at hand, digital iTunes versions of movies is a great idea, as long as it shows up on my :apple:TV.

Off Topic: Cartman explains EXACTLY why Family Guy is awful in episode 142 of South Park. Please refrain from going on and on about who is better until you watch that episode and it's sequel; Cartoon Wars Part 1 and Cartoon Wars Part 2. Seriously, when are Matt and Trey running for joint Presidents of Earth?

Seriously, South Park stopped being funny 3 seasons ago.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Well, it's 0.4 larger. That seems pretty obvious to me.
The built-in screen-capture hotkey doesn't work. Third party screen-capture apps (like Snapz ProX) work just fine.

If you don't feel like installing a separate app or buying a license for it, you can use a command line workaround (or wrap it inside an AppleScript for convenient access from the Scripts menu).

And this is not to say that Snapz Pro X weren't good. In fact, I'm quite frequently refreshing the MacHeist page to see if Snapz Pro X is close to being unlocked :)

rfbandit

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Here's what the transfer to iTunes window looks like for Windows:

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 166

Domofloge

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
New Jersey
IMO Family Guy is indeed the rightful successor to the Simpsons show, but not in a good way.

The Simpsons started getting bad when they began to go way to far into micro-second "fantasy interludes" and dropped any pretense of internal logic, realism, and character and situation driven story-lines. It quickly descended into the worst kind of drivel, and became sort of an illustrated version of a bad stand up routine from some third-rate Vegas bar.

Family Guy takes that shift and runs it out of the park with it. They also add a generous helping of cruel, nasty, negativity on top.

As dumb as some of the later episodes are, at least Homer Simpson is at the bottom of it all, a good person with a heart. There isn't a single character on Family Guy that actually is a "good person" with the exception of the dog, Brian. Even he is constantly being set-up into situations where he has to lie, cheat, or do some other nasty thing so that he won't seem like he's better than the rest of the reprobates on the show.

The "message" of Family Guy (such as it is), is that we are all shallow, cruel and selfish people and it's humour comes from a very uncool, relishing of that fact. Whomever writes it must have a particularly cruel bent, and an almost hopeless view of humanity in general. I'm betting that he used to pull wings off of flies as a child. ;)

IMO, if you are the kind of person that laughs out loud at "America's Funniest Videos" when a baby bashes it's head on the sharp edge of a coffee table, then you will find Family Guy hilarious.

Ok. No offense but you totally over analyzed the two TV shows. haha. If you find Family Guy "cruel, nasty, negative" then dont watch it! :D

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Has anyone actually gotten this to work.
*Updated to 7.6
*Put in Family Guy Blue Harvest DVD
*Double Clicked icon as instructed
*Then I get an iTunes error (see screenshot)

Any one have any ideas??

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 57

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
Has anyone actually gotten this to work.
*Updated to 7.6
*Put in Family Guy Blue Harvest DVD
*Double Clicked icon as instructed
*Then I get an iTunes error (see screenshot)

Any one have any ideas??

I got the same error; Don't have a clue what the problem is.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 59

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
well I'm glad it appears to be an issue on Apple's end and not something my Mac and/or DVD

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
I just downloaded it. I had to wait a few hours but it finally worked. They were probably overwhelmed with people trying to download it.

As a side note, I went to Target and CC today and both were sold out of the special edition. I eventually got it at Best Buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.