Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The capability to make ringstones for free, time to switch some of the Logic options to iTunes

Not only that, but you should be able to make ringtones for free, using whatever music you have. I don't think it's fair to give iTunes a ringtone maker that limits the user so much (since I don't have any music from the iTunes store, I would like to used my own). It's my music, let me do what I want with it. Plus, as long as your phone has bluetooth, you should be able to put any ringtones you make with iTunes onto your phone, no matter what kind it is.

Unless there's a way to do this with some freeware I'm not aware of?

myyours

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Get those blasted digital booklets out of my library. Maybe some integrate the booklet into each track's artwork section?

Lunchbox16

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Not only that, but you should be able to make ringtones for free, using whatever music you have. I don't think it's fair to give iTunes a ringtone maker that limits the user so much (since I don't have any music from the iTunes store, I would like to used my own). It's my music, let me do what I want with it. Plus, as long as your phone has bluetooth, you should be able to put any ringtones you make with iTunes onto your phone, no matter what kind it is.

Unless there's a way to do this with some freeware I'm not aware of?

You can make ringtones really easily, using iTunes. Check this out.

Personally, to get exactly what I want in the highest quality, I do things a bit differently than the aforementioned site. It will probably take you all of 5-10 minutes to make a ring tone if you know what you want. You can use iTunes to rip a song to WAV (or to decode an mp3, but I go for quality and work with original CDs, YMMV). Then I open Sound Studio and either edit the song down to a 30 second or so clip that I want, or copy and paste the segment I want in a new audio file. I'll generally add a fade out, and a fade in if necessary. Save the file and drag it into iTunes, encode it according to the parameters given at the above site. Connect your phone to computer via bluetooth, send the new mp3 file and boom, you have a new, "high" quality ringtone of exactly what you want. Why wait for someone else to make a ring tone when you can do it yourself, quickly, easily, and for free? I never understood that.

Cheers.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Personally, to get exactly what I want in the highest quality, I do things a bit differently than the aforementioned site. It will probably take you all of 5-10 minutes to make a ring tone if you know what you want. You can use iTunes to rip a song to WAV (or to decode an mp3, but I go for quality and work with original CDs, YMMV). Then I open Sound Studio and either edit the song down to a 30 second or so clip that I want, or copy and paste the segment I want in a new audio file. I'll generally add a fade out, and a fade in if necessary. Save the file and drag it into iTunes, encode it according to the parameters given at the above site. Connect your phone to computer via bluetooth, send the new mp3 file and boom, you have a new, "high" quality ringtone of exactly what you want. Why wait for someone else to make a ring tone when you can do it yourself, quickly, easily, and for free? I never understood that.

Cheers.

Is that program freeware and for the Mac? I don't want to pay for anything. Also, if I have bluetooth built into my computer, do I need an adapter?

Thanks, if the answers are yes yes and no respectively, that would be great! Thank you!

Lunchbox16

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Is that program freeware and for the Mac? I don't want to pay for anything. Also, if I have bluetooth built into my computer, do I need an adapter?

Thanks, if the answers are yes yes and no respectively, that would be great! Thank you!

Sound Studio came with my computer. Granted it's an iBook G4 and about 4 years old, but yes, it was free for me. You might check version tracker, too. Yes, Sound Studio is a Mac program.

If you have bluetooth built into your computer and if your phone is bluetooth enabled you do not need anything else. Just switch on the bluetooth on your phone, if it isn't already, to make it detectable. You can open the Bluetooth File Exchange, which should be located in the utilities folder, to go through the files on your phone. If you're running Leopard, you can just open Bluetooth Exchange and so long as your phone's bluetooth is enabled, it will walk you through the process of connecting the two.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'm glad we won't have to be waiting too long for iTunes 8! I have already been waiting for a while, so knowing that it is (hopefully) coming soon is a relief.
If iTunes 8 is just iTunes 7 with a few add-ons (like Cover Flow for iTunes 7), I'm not that interested.

If iTunes 8 is iTunes 7 revamped with more features and usability enhancements (better management of duplicates etc.), then I'm really interested.

If iTunes 8 is redesigned (iMovie), I'll just have to wait and see...

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
If iTunes 8 is just iTunes 7 with a few add-ons (like Cover Flow for iTunes 7), I'm not that interested.

If iTunes 8 is iTunes 7 revamped with more features and usability enhancements (better management of duplicates etc.), then I'm really interested.

If iTunes 8 is redesigned (iMovie), I'll just have to wait and see...

I agree, and would like to add:

If iTunes 8 will support Flac, I'm interested.

If iTunes 8 isn't streamlined so it's faster, or giving us the options to deselect or even uninstall "features" (bloat), I won't be that interested.

If iTunes 8 is iTunes 7 with more iPod-features and not much else, I give up on iTunes entirely.

Likewise will I give up if iTunes 8 will be a push wagon for feature-less players (i.e. with tie-ins to MobileMe).

I really want a good filebrowser/sorter with playlists and "play next" functionality.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio

Cheers.

It takes 2* minutes in Garageband. Drag the song from iTunes to GB, snip snip, drag the end bar to the actual end of your song and export to itunes in a .mp3 format then drag from itunes to your phone.
*(3-5mins if you do fades or loops).

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
Get those blasted digital booklets out of my library. Maybe some integrate the booklet into each track's artwork section?

Yes! And stop whacking those stupid song videos in with the songs when you download the album off iTunes, it's annoying on iTunes and you can't even watch the video on the iPod Touch, it's just another version of a song but at a lower quality of sound :confused:

Lunchbox16

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
It takes 2* minutes in Garageband. Drag the song from iTunes to GB, snip snip, drag the end bar to the actual end of your song and export to itunes in a .mp3 format then drag from itunes to your phone.
*(3-5mins if you do fades or loops).

Cool! Good to know. I've never used Garageband. In fact, I might have deleted it from my hard drive. Sound Studio is smaller and all I need. But that's certainly good info for those who use GB, especially since it should be included on all machines.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The ability to edit a songs play count.

What's up with people wanting to change a song's play count, or for iTunes to log the count differently? The only time I used play count is for the built-in top played playlist. Everything else, I don't have play count. I find it distracting and annoying to put a number on everything in life. I like a little randomness.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I don't see any use for this. A play count is a play count. If you want to edit a song's play count then download an applescript that will do it. (Or write it yourself)

What's up with people wanting to change a song's play count, or for iTunes to log the count differently? The only time I used play count is for the built-in top played playlist. Everything else, I don't have play count. I find it distracting and annoying to put a number on everything in life. I like a little randomness.

I would actually find this very useful if it would also revert the selected song(s) to the last "last played" date. I have smart playlists which populate depending on the last time I listened to them, i.e. songs I haven't played in the past month will appear in the list. How many times has anyone pulled their iPod out of their pocket to see that the list has been playing through 10-15 songs that you didn't listen to (or is that just me :eek:)? The songs will be marked as played (because they did play) but you didn't hear them, so according to you, the list will be wrong. Or maybe you let a friend or sibling listen to your iPod, and they listen to stuff that will obviously be marked as played when you didn't listen to the songs.

This function would be great to eliminate the difference between what songs are played, and what songs you hear.

macwall

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Cupertino, CA
i wish it's easier to manage my video files like it is with my music files. they use the music tags with the video tags and it's quite annoying.

Lunchbox16

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
A minor (I think) suggestion: the ability to export your library information to a spradsheet. Unless there's a way to do it now and I missed it, I think this would be useful, at least for me. YMMV.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
The ability to edit a songs play count.

You can just edit the iTunes Music Library.xml file if you really want to edit the play count

I would like to see the ability to sync your library with remote computers (laptops), in much the same manner you sync with an iPod (that is, the ability to sync only certain playlists). That way you could build a 'Mobile' or 'Laptop' playlist containing only the music you want on the go, and sync it over the network with your laptop without doing a bunch of screwing around with automator and rsync. This is probably the #1 feature I would like to see, but I doubt it will be added.

Edit: Just realized I've already posted this wish in this thread but I'm leaving it here twice for emphasis!

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
A minor (I think) suggestion: the ability to export your library information to a spradsheet. Unless there's a way to do it now and I missed it, I think this would be useful, at least for me. YMMV.

If you have Excel you should be able to open the Library XML file in it.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I would actually find this very useful if it would also revert the selected song(s) to the last "last played" date. I have smart playlists which populate depending on the last time I listened to them, i.e. songs I haven't played in the past month will appear in the list. How many times has anyone pulled their iPod out of their pocket to see that the list has been playing through 10-15 songs that you didn't listen to (or is that just me :eek:)? The songs will be marked as played (because they did play) but you didn't hear them, so according to you, the list will be wrong. Or maybe you let a friend or sibling listen to your iPod, and they listen to stuff that will obviously be marked as played when you didn't listen to the songs.

This function would be great to eliminate the difference between what songs are played, and what songs you hear.

That's not what the play count is though. Play count is exactly that, it's not a count of the songs you heard. I say they should leave it the way it is with zero modifications to the play count area.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Not really wishing for much from iTunes 8 but I wish the AppStore was a little more precise in searches and was easier to use in finding specific apps. In the next year there will probably be 20x the current rung of Apps and searching through it all will be utter hell.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
i would love dvd movie suport cause i have a dual boot mac/pc if im doing stuff in my windows partion mostly the dayi i would like to watch a Dvd on my pc to kill some time it be nice if i could watch a dvd like windows media player can.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Or you could not count on iTunes to pick what music you want to hear and instead make your own decisions based on your mood and what music would suit it at the moment. Personally, I never use smart playlists, they're just there because I don't feel like getting rid of them; I pick what I want to listen to myself (I don't like shuffle at all; not even album shuffle).

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I've read the first twenty-five or so posts of this thread, but can't go through the whole thing. In that regard, I apologize if I am repeating a question.

So many of you want cocoa, or for it to be re-written in cocoa. I don't know what cocoa is; I'm guessing it is some sort of programming language. But that's not my question. If iTunes were rewritten in cocoa from the ground up, what new benefit would be bestowed on the iTunes user?

Very interested. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.