Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I've read the first twenty-five or so posts of this thread, but can't go through the whole thing. In that regard, I apologize if I am repeating a question.

So many of you want cocoa, or for it to be re-written in cocoa. I don't know what cocoa is; I'm guessing it is some sort of programming language. But that's not my question. If iTunes were rewritten in cocoa from the ground up, what new benefit would be bestowed on the iTunes user?

Very interested. Thanks.

it'd be faster and look better. I think it'd be easier to make a better third party plugin architecture.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Podcasts

I'd like iTunes to have a little number and make a sound (similar to what Mail.app does in OS X) whenever I get a new podcast, instead of me always having to check.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I don't see any use for this. A play count is a play count. If you want to edit a song's play count then download an applescript that will do it. (Or write it yourself)
If I replace one song with another, I want the old song's play count to transfer over to the new one.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
If iTunes were rewritten in cocoa from the ground up, what new benefit would be bestowed on the iTunes user?

Being rewritten from the ground up can mean a fresh design for your media. It often removes preconceived ideas that have grown in over time, like managing movies as if they were songs (etc). Rewrites result in some good stuff.

On the downside, you can get iMovie 08 which lost many of the functions of iMovie HD/06, in exchange for some really interesting and useful ways of editing video. I still use both.

As for be rewritten in COCOA - cocoa is a faster development environment with all of the bells and whistles Apple provides to make apps have more features with little effort. In some ways it take the pressure off the programmers for the basic common background stuff and lets them focus on what makes their program different. Overall - it might make the code more manageable for Apple, and more easily altered/updated - which would be good for ongoing improvements.

walidism

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
Dear APPLE

dear apple,

for my wishlist, i would like you guys to implement a feature that allows itunes to recognize when i have renamed my files and/or moved them, so that itunes can adapt to it and keep the song playing rather than going through each little ! mark and deleting it and having to add the songs all over again. i mean, if you have like 50 songs, i guess thats fine, but not for me. also, there should be a way to sort all the songs marked with the ! sign (at least) so that i dont have to scroll through my entire library looking for the !. thats all that i really want, oh and an updated id3 tag protocol that can actually read the song info from older id3 tags, i know its already there, but it doesnt work for some reason on my mbp.

other than that, just some different color schemes cause i get bored of the blue and gray. how bout like gold, or red, or whateva.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Being rewritten from the ground up can mean a fresh design for your media. It often removes preconceived ideas that have grown in over time, like managing movies as if they were songs (etc). Rewrites result in some good stuff.

On the downside, you can get iMovie 08 which lost many of the functions of iMovie HD/06, in exchange for some really interesting and useful ways of editing video. I still use both.
Completely agreed. As iTunes has evolved from a music player to a media center, the interface has to change to match it. I hope we see a significant change with iTunes 8.

And there could also be iTunes 7.8 with latest iPod support, iTunes Unlimited etc. for those who want to stay with iTunes 7 until iTunes 8 regains iTunes 7's features. ;)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The capability to change a podcast feed address, rather than adding the same podcast as a separate feed. There are a few podcasts which I like to keep permanently, and if/when they change the address of their podcast, I'm forced to keep a single series as separate podcasts.

Also, better handling of Podcast Artwork. There seem to be many podcasts which don't include the artwork with each episode, yet it still appears in the iTunes Store. In other words, when an episode is lacking artwork, iTunes should apply a default artwork for any specific feed.

I would like to see more emphasis placed on Podcasts as a whole. For the most part, the handling of Podcasts in iTunes hasn't changed since they were introduced.

Jiff Lemon

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Love the idea of it being separated out; I've only recently discovered front row (why did apple hide it away?) and its a great!

Just to add to the list of annoyances though. I've a substancial library of tunes, so play one tune, start scrolling hrough looking for another to play. I can be halfway through the libray when the first tune finishes - it then plays the next tune and does what? Sends bloody coverflow BACK to that album! :mad:

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Love the idea of it being separated out; I've only recently discovered front row (why did apple hide it away?) and its a great!

Just to add to the list of annoyances though. I've a substancial library of tunes, so play one tune, start scrolling hrough looking for another to play. I can be halfway through the libray when the first tune finishes - it then plays the next tune and does what? Sends bloody coverflow BACK to that album! :mad:

Yeah, but the list of songs doesn't move; as long as you click on the song you were at again, coverflow will scroll back again. I don't find it that annoying; then again, I don't play music from my computer most of the time, I use my iPod.

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Better, new UI. (Especially on Windows!)
Just all around better on Windows (opens faster, etc.)
Tabbed browsing support
Add-on and theme support
.Flac support
Better video integration

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
At the moment, iTunes feels kind of bolted together. It started off as a music app, and now it's the hub for a whole bunch of things — movies and TV shows, music vidoes, ringtones, that sort of thing. It works and works quite well, but it doesn't feel like it was properly constructed around it in the oh-so Apple way we all know and love. All it needs is someone to sit down with a notepad and a pen and rethink everything from the bottom up and it would be a whole lot better, even if it was just reorganised in a minor way. Movie playback, for example, is functional but isn't as spiffy as it could be — it's a lot nicer to browse through your movies on an Apple TV, and while this interface is well suited to a fullscreen setup a similar vibe needs to be applied to iTunes 8.

The other pretty minor request I have is for artwork to be gettable for movies. A lot of us OCD types out there prefer the iTunes artwork, but for whatever reason we can't get it. Following on from this, iTunes can be a total pain in the behind when it inexplicably refuses to give you the artwork even when the tags are identical. There should be a way, if you're logged into the iTunes Store, to just hit a button and get access to the artwork for situations like this.

Oh, and please please pleaseeee moves music videos back to their own category? It drives me loopy when I'm shuffling music and I get stuck inside a surprise video.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Better Audio Control By The Listener

By 'better audio control' I mean things like this: iTunes should allow for 'Sound Check' to be used on a playlist-by-playlist basis, if desired, not only across the ENTIRE LIBRARY as it is now. This would give listeners discretion over when/how to use it. You don't always want to 'even out' the sound levels between, say, heavy metal rock and classical string quartets!

Another welcome addition would be a pair of analog (needle-type) VU meters so we could tweak the sound as desired, PER SONG. Making it 'accurately visual' would be huge! The currently supplied spectrum-type meter works somewhat, but is not as PRECISE as the old-style 'needles' would be. We need a little 'retro' to be able to advance!

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Another welcome addition would be a pair of analog (needle-type) VU meters so we could tweak the sound as desired, PER SONG. Making it 'accurately visual' would be huge! The currently supplied spectrum-type meter works somewhat, but is not as PRECISE as the old-style 'needles' would be. We need a little 'retro' to be able to advance!

Analogue VU-meters died with digital recording and digital playback. As such, they're not any more accurate than, say, a row of leds (or a row of black marks).
Also, if you're talking equaliser bands and not merely (playback/record) levels you'd soon run out of screen real estate if you used needles for each band.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
A minor (I think) suggestion: the ability to export your library information to a spradsheet. Unless there's a way to do it now and I missed it, I think this would be useful, at least for me. YMMV.

Already present. Simply select and copy songs from iTunes and paste them into Excel.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I cannot believe how many people are asking for queueing (spl?) of songs!
Or rather: I can believe it – I'd like it too – I just can't understand why Apple haven't implemented such a basic feature yet. It looks like it's the most requested feature of the lot.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
VU Meters

Analogue VU-meters died with digital recording and digital playback. As such, they're not any more accurate than, say, a row of leds (or a row of black marks).
Also, if you're talking equaliser bands and not merely (playback/record) levels you'd soon run out of screen real estate if you used needles for each band.

They're easier to read consistently than a row of leds. Much easier to keep the levels from peaking. And yes, I was talking about playback/record levels only here (though perhaps the equalizer could be 'beefed up' a bit too!)

I notice that there are lots of VU meter plug-ins available for full-blown audio programs (which I don't need); how nice it would be to have them for iTunes itself. If Apple doesn't do it, perhaps someone else will. I'm old-school! :cool:

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
They're easier to read consistently than a row of leds. Much easier to keep the levels from peaking.
I disagree. Unless we're comparing the analogue meter on an analogue recorder compared to digital meter (as in having a bar, or leds) on a digital recorder. But since we're talking all digital here, I disagree.
The thing is, on an analogue meter (on an analogue recorder) you can go over, and that is great, as it allows you to get really close to maximum recording levels and have the occasional over to guide you (even by ear – I miss that).
However, you can't go over on digital recorders, but you still want to get close to zero (or -6db or -12db, depending), and a faux analogue meter wouldn't prevent you from this, but it would make it harder. In digital recordings I prefer clearly "labeled" bars – either by differently coloured leds, or with very clear markings instead.

And yes, I was talking about playback/record levels only here (though perhaps the equalizer could be 'beefed up' a bit too!)
I don't use equalizers :p

I notice that there are lots of VU meter plug-ins available for full-blown audio programs (which I don't need); how nice it would be to have them for iTunes itself.

LOL, wait! I just realised you want something, not for recording, as in sticking a mike in your computer and record by using the app, you want to look at the output levels. There already is a solution for that – it's called the volume button. If you want an analogue one, use a real amp. ;)

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
i still don't know why they bumped numbers below the alphabet. that annoys me still.

Really? I'm really glad they did that. It's still easy to get to them, but they aren't sitting at the top where they don't feel like they belong.

i'd like to see some better tagging, or well better retrieval methods for tagging personally.

I really agree with this.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
I would like to see a folder monitor option. So I don't have to add my music manually. I add lots of songs on a weekly basis and it gets bother some to have to go add the files ever time.

That is one of the big things I really want to see......
I *totally* agree with this. Imho, this should have been in iTunes since day 1.

You and me both!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.