Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Apple Wars!

Steve Jobs creats the Apple company.

Apple competes against Microsoft.

Apple flounders around a few years.

Apple fires Steve Jobs.

Apple Flounders around even more.

Apple hires back Steve Jobs as CEO.

Apple becomes the biggest corporation in the world.

Steve Jobs dies.

Apple buys 3D printing company MarkerBot.

Apple creates a highly sophisticated 3D printer i3DBot.

i3DBot prints out a new Steve Jobs.

Apple hires Steve Jobs clone back as CEO.

Steve Jobs clone manufactures more i3DBots.

i3DBots print out an army of Steve Jobs clones.

i3DBots telepods Steve Jobs clone to Mars and other planets.

The Clone Wars begin.

Apple claims they own The Galaxy after winning The Clone Wars.

Apple makes everyone buy their new iWatches and AppleTV's.

:D :D :D :D

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I hate all these 'analyst' claims that Apple is no longer innovative as its now "post Jobs". These guys are supposed to know their field. Jobs himself referenced they thought of the idea of the iPad BEFORE the iPhone. Both these products took YEARS to develop. Apple don't just dream these up over night and release that year...

Jobs himself also said during the presentation of the original iPhone "People are lucky if they get to deliver one of these into the market". Great design starts with a problem. Apple themselves know that if they're fixing a problem that doesn't exist people won't buy it.

Now people expect Apple to churn a revolutionary product every year - or Apple will collapse as a company.

Ridiculous. Stick to your guns Apple, take your time - I'm not going anywhere.

(Cook still needs a major release under his name to call his own though)

I would normally agree with you, however, Tim Cook himself commited to delivering "new product categories" this year. So while I think there is some leaway that the street is willing to give them, it isn't infinite. The iPhone 6 can't just be a bigger iPhone 5c either. Gotta wow, they need one post Steve Jobs bombshell to really prove they can do it without him. But that is my opinion.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, what your saying is Time Cook should be like Steve Jobs ?

Tim should think ahead 5 years in advance and see what the future holds, and make a better product than to rush it to the market full of problems.

I'm not saying take 5 years to develop, (I don't think people would wait *that* long today).

But at least take more time.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
At least this wasn't another story about that damn Ming Chi Quo. I don't know why, but just seeing his name makes my blood boil. Even if he does have a good track record.

cjt3007

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Portland, OR
A 3D printer by Apple, at this stage, would be analogous to the Apple II. The Apple II was a product no one needed and was hard to justify outside of the hobbyist market.

The 3D printer would be the same kind of product now, and Apple isn't in that business anymore. Their products have to be immediately useful with mass market appeal.

The Apple TV didn't have mass market appeal when it first launched. I would argue that most people "didn't need" an Apple TV, as there were already ways to do what it does (i.e. connect your MacBook to the tv with a DVI to HDMI cable). However, the Apple TV has become a really awesome way to access your iTunes media, as well as share the screen of your computer or iOS device.

I'm not really supporting the rumor that Apple is going to release their own 3D printer, but they have made 2D printers in the past. And I still consider a lot of Apple's market to be creative professionals, so having the option to purchase a 3D printer from a company you trust and will support their product would make more people interested in owning one - especially the creative professional portion of Apple's consumers. I, for one, am quite leery about the current 3D printer offerings on the market. The printers cost a lot, and the warranties/support from the manufacturer is really lacking; to the point that if I buy a 3D printer I either have to assemble it myself, or if it is shipped whole and arrives broken I have no way of knowing if the manufacturer is actually going to replace it. What Apple or Google could do for this market, is make prebuilt 3D printers that actually have a big name behind them for support, and parts replacement.

----------

I wish Apple would just create plain printers.

I hope they do to the printers what they did to the desktop/laptop/cellphone. I really find printers suck big time...

Apple already did the printer thing, however they already did the PDA thing before the iPhone came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.