Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike czech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
When S. Jobs was speaking about 10.2 at MWSF he kept saying "Jag-wire". Was I the only one who wanted to correct him?? Have I been mispronouncing Jaguar the whole time??

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
No, you're pronouncing it correctly.

Maybe he was just trying to be British ;)

I have a few English friends and they say Jaguar "Jag-Wire"

djkut

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by Juventuz
Maybe he was just trying to be British ;)

I have a few English friends and they say Jaguar "Jag-Wire"

Actually they pronounce it Jag-u-arr.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
yes we do say jag-u-ar, cos thats how it is spelt and thats how it is said! I remember watching MWNY and I really noticed it but I didn't really notice it in MWSF...

djkut

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
yes we do say jag-u-ar, cos thats how it is spelt and thats how it is said! I remember watching MWNY and I really noticed it but I didn't really notice it in MWSF...

I would have to agree that that is the way it is said. Americans...:rolleyes: :D

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
while we're on the topic, what about aluminum vs aluminium

i mean, you guys even spell it differently.

in australia, we are looking forward to receiving our A-LU-MIN-I-UM Powerbooks.

how about you?

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
good point i never noticed that. I guess aluminUm is actualy consistent with all those other elements like, er, ceasUm, magnesUm and pottassUm!

:p

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
good point i never noticed that. I guess aluminUm is actualy consistent with all those other elements like, er, ceasUm, magnesUm and pottassUm!

:p

edit...i missed the sarcasm so i made a fool of myself :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I've been around on earth a while, and even the British used to say Jag-warr. In the last few years it became Jag-u-ar. Probably marketing.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
first of all, steve jobs can kiss my ass, jag-wire sounds awful.

secondly, i've never paid much attention to the aluminum thing before a song on the latest Counting Crows CD pronounced it "aluminium". To tell the truth, i've always spelled it aluminium, i didn't even know i was spelling it "wrong"... i've always pronounced it "aluminum", or more simply, "tin".

everyone in the rest of the world talks funny :)

pnw

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
I believe he says "Jag-wire" becuse there is a peice of UNIX server software also called Jaguar.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by mmmdreg

actually, aluminIUm is consistent with all those other elements like, er, cea-sIUm, mag-ne-sIUm and po-tta-ssIUm so seems Aussies have the right idea =)

Yeah I think you missed my point, I was pointing out that it obviously is aluminiUm using possibly the most obvious sarcasm, I'm not that stupid to think that all elements are spelt that way!

Originally posted by mmmdreg

It's actually more like Al-mi-nium without the first u but yeah...aluminum sounds funny...

What on on Earth are you talking about! No-one says Alminium! AlUmInIUm is how it is spelt and how it is said! And if you think it sounds funny then get over it!

Originally posted by FelixDerKater

Jaguar. Jag-warr.

Would you say quality as "qwile-ity"?

Maybe Jobs wants to innovate the English language as well..

that is also wrong! q is always followed by a u in proper english words, and therefore the u is unnecessary and q is only ever pronounced like "kw" together. I guess the U is there just to remind people of how it is pronounced. Anyway, you cannot compare these two words. Anyways its not jag-warr, its jag-you-are.

Finally Paulwhannel you can rest easy as you are not spelling it wrong okay?

Thats enough of my .02 for now

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
This is a very funny topic because I have this discussion almost every other week with Australian people (I am American). I came to the fact that this is a never-ending discussion, because either party thinks they are wrong!!!!??. so who really gives a ****?? I don?t anymore, because the British will say their English is proper just as the Aussies, but American English is not???!!!!

Also, here is some food for thought for the Aussies:

Listen to yourselves when you say Australia or Africa, it sounds like you are saying:
Aus..trail..yer or Af..ric..yer!!!!!! Now that is funny!!!! ;) :p :p

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC

That's a bit presumptuous, no? Considering it's not even an English word :rolleyes:

How about prouncing it "Ha-gwar". THAT'S how it's pronounced! (in Spanish)

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Les Kern
I've been around on earth a while, and even the British used to say Jag-warr. In the last few years it became Jag-u-ar. Probably marketing.

The first time I heard a pronunciation close to this was when I was taking a class "Mayas, Aztecs, and their Predecessors" in college. The professor (German I think?) pronounced the word "ha-gu-ahr" - with a slight pause between the syllables. I think she may have been going for the authentic Mayan pronunciation or something (yes there are still plenty of Mayan descendants that speak derivatives of the language - and I know for a fact she's gone on archaeological expeditions in Central America). Just a guess, though - I and the other folks in the class thought the pronunciation was pretty funny...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Finally Paulwhannel you can rest easy as you are not spelling it wrong okay?

lol... you know, for some reason i spell a lot of things with their international spellings... "colour" "behaviour" etc... i get a lot of crap about it, people think i'm trying to be brit-chic (damn madonna), but for some reason that's just how my brain wants to spell it. I've become pretty good at spelling things the "american" way (i had a teacher who really came down hard on me), but aluminium is going to stay just how it is :D

pnw

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Ok I'll repeat it again, it is actually pronounced
jg'wär' or jg'yoo-är' and it's a portuguese/spanish word
yaguar actually not j sound in it at all.

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
I think it's funny that everyone is arguing over how other people talk. Heck, even people in the same country can't talk the same. I'm in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. People here talk different than they do in New York City, New York, USA. And New Yorkers talk different than people in Washington D.C., USA. People in all three cities talk different than people in the Georgia, USA. People in Georgia talk different than people in Chicago, Illinois, USA, who talk different than people in Dallas, Texas, USA. I can keep going, but I think you get the picture.
Pretty strainge, isn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.