"Jag-wire" vs. "Jag-waarr"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mike czech, Jan 9, 2003.

1. mike czech macrumors member

When S. Jobs was speaking about 10.2 at MWSF he kept saying "Jag-wire". Was I the only one who wanted to correct him?? Have I been mispronouncing Jaguar the whole time??

2. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

No, you're pronouncing it correctly.

Maybe he was just trying to be British ;)

I have a few English friends and they say Jaguar "Jag-Wire"

3. djkut macrumors member

Actually they pronounce it Jag-u-arr.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i concur doctor.

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

yes we do say jag-u-ar, cos thats how it is spelt and thats how it is said! I remember watching MWNY and I really noticed it but I didn't really notice it in MWSF...

6. djkut macrumors member

I would have to agree that that is the way it is said. Americans...:rolleyes: :D

7. Macette macrumors 6502

while we're on the topic, what about aluminum vs aluminium

i mean, you guys even spell it differently.

in australia, we are looking forward to receiving our A-LU-MIN-I-UM Powerbooks.

how about you?

8. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

good point i never noticed that. I guess aluminUm is actualy consistent with all those other elements like, er, ceasUm, magnesUm and pottassUm!

:p

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Jaguar. Jag-warr.

Would you say quality as "qwile-ity"?

Maybe Jobs wants to innovate the English language as well.

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

edit...i missed the sarcasm so i made a fool of myself :)

11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: Aluminum

edit: just to waste space...its Aluminium

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I've been around on earth a while, and even the British used to say Jag-warr. In the last few years it became Jag-u-ar. Probably marketing.

14. medea macrumors 68030

medea

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

first of all, steve jobs can kiss my ass, jag-wire sounds awful.

secondly, i've never paid much attention to the aluminum thing before a song on the latest Counting Crows CD pronounced it "aluminium". To tell the truth, i've always spelled it aluminium, i didn't even know i was spelling it "wrong"... i've always pronounced it "aluminum", or more simply, "tin".

everyone in the rest of the world talks funny :)

pnw

16. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I believe he says "Jag-wire" becuse there is a peice of UNIX server software also called Jaguar.

17. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Oh I thought it was my Japanglish that was really messed up when I heard SJ's Jug-wire pronuciation!

What the hell that was that all about then???

18. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think you missed my point, I was pointing out that it obviously is aluminiUm using possibly the most obvious sarcasm, I'm not that stupid to think that all elements are spelt that way!

What on on Earth are you talking about! No-one says Alminium! AlUmInIUm is how it is spelt and how it is said! And if you think it sounds funny then get over it!

that is also wrong! q is always followed by a u in proper english words, and therefore the u is unnecessary and q is only ever pronounced like "kw" together. I guess the U is there just to remind people of how it is pronounced. Anyway, you cannot compare these two words. Anyways its not jag-warr, its jag-you-are.

Finally Paulwhannel you can rest easy as you are not spelling it wrong okay?

Thats enough of my .02 for now

19. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Well, if Steve calls it Jag-wire, we SJ lovers might just have to call 10.2 Jag-wire from now on :D:D:D

I'm 100% sure that there are at least 200 Japanese Mac maniacs with OK English ability who proudly call it Jag-wire after the keynote (incl. myself!).

20. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

This is a very funny topic because I have this discussion almost every other week with Australian people (I am American). I came to the fact that this is a never-ending discussion, because either party thinks they are wrong!!!!??. so who really gives a ****?? I don?t anymore, because the British will say their English is proper just as the Aussies, but American English is not???!!!!

Also, here is some food for thought for the Aussies:

Listen to yourselves when you say Australia or Africa, it sounds like you are saying:
    Aus..trail..yer or Af..ric..yer!!!!!! Now that is funny!!!! ;) :p :p

21. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

That's a bit presumptuous, no? Considering it's not even an English word :rolleyes:

How about prouncing it "Ha-gwar". THAT'S how it's pronounced! (in Spanish)

22. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

The first time I heard a pronunciation close to this was when I was taking a class "Mayas, Aztecs, and their Predecessors" in college. The professor (German I think?) pronounced the word "ha-gu-ahr" - with a slight pause between the syllables. I think she may have been going for the authentic Mayan pronunciation or something (yes there are still plenty of Mayan descendants that speak derivatives of the language - and I know for a fact she's gone on archaeological expeditions in Central America). Just a guess, though - I and the other folks in the class thought the pronunciation was pretty funny...

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

lol... you know, for some reason i spell a lot of things with their international spellings... "colour" "behaviour" etc... i get a lot of crap about it, people think i'm trying to be brit-chic (damn madonna), but for some reason that's just how my brain wants to spell it. I've become pretty good at spelling things the "american" way (i had a teacher who really came down hard on me), but aluminium is going to stay just how it is :D

pnw

24. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Ok I'll repeat it again, it is actually pronounced
    jg'wär' or jg'yoo-är' and it's a portuguese/spanish word
    yaguar actually not j sound in it at all.

25. rjrufo macrumors regular

I think it's funny that everyone is arguing over how other people talk. Heck, even people in the same country can't talk the same. I'm in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. People here talk different than they do in New York City, New York, USA. And New Yorkers talk different than people in Washington D.C., USA. People in all three cities talk different than people in the Georgia, USA. People in Georgia talk different than people in Chicago, Illinois, USA, who talk different than people in Dallas, Texas, USA. I can keep going, but I think you get the picture.
    Pretty strainge, isn't it?