Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Honestly, I can't see any way forward for Apple but to become its own music label. Maybe that's not what they will call themselves but that's where I see Apple headed eventually.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Apple Music is average at best. I use Amazon music with my prime membership and it's awesome. That coupled with Spotify and Pandora (free) and I have my music fix.

yes me to but couldn't resist prepay Google Play Music at £4.25 (normally UK £10.00).

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
They pushed Apple Music too much, too soon. Another reason I'm glad I'm not getting into streaming. Buying music for me will always be the way to go. I like being able to keep my music forever without cost, and play it on any one of my devices (new Macs, old Macs, any iPods, Linux computers) and use them for personal things like ringtones and using it for video projects and such.

I must be getting old or something. :p

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Honestly, I can't see any way forward for Apple but to become its own music label. Maybe that's not what they will call themselves but that's where I see Apple headed eventually.

Good call, and of course-

Apple Inc didn't want to upset massive fan of Apple Corp and The Beatles - Steve Jobs "embrassingly" won the court case http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4983796.stm so apple Inc way round was to buy silly Beats for $3.0B when they didn't want or need ridiculous headphone division, when could have rebranded say Tidal for <$50M

ps
apple proved yet again silly oversized headphones are NOT the future when "out and about" with their $150+ "airBuds".

Last edited:
Reactions: 32828870

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Good point and of course-

Apple didn't want to upset massive fan of Apple Corp - Steve Jobs so their way round was to buy silly Beats for 3.5B when could have rebranded say Tidal for <50M

The beats deal was probably also for the headphones (which is a pretty lucrative business in its own right) and for the personnel. Getting tidal without any capable people to helm it would have been pointless.

In short, it was a package deal. You can't really separate one from the other.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Not to over simplify the issue but can't streaming services just charge more for the ads they run?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
The beats deal was probably also for the headphones (which is a pretty lucrative business in its own right) and for the personnel. Getting tidal without any capable people to helm it would have been pointless.

In short, it was a package deal. You can't really separate one from the other.

I really dont thing the massive "when out and about" headphones known as "Beats" are apples 'thing' apple known for being minimalistic .....sorry to have to disagree with you @Abazigal.
Apple certainly didn't need a new R&D team. and could have bought FAR BETTER KOSS for - koss market cap approx $20 million !! May 2014

http://www.marketwatch.com/m/quote/koss

click on "5 year"

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_93d.jpg

(I am bias people laughed when I first wore my trusty still wearing - Koss PortaPro in public 8 years ago)

Last edited:

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Good call, and of course-

Apple Inc didn't want to upset massive fan of Apple Corp and The Beatles - Steve Jobs "embrassingly" won the court case http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4983796.stm so apple Inc way round was to buy silly Beats for $3.5B when they didn't want or need ridiculous headphone division, when could have rebranded say Tidal for <$50M

ps
apple proved yet again silly oversized headphones are NOT the future when "out and about" with their $150+ "airBuds".

Friendly suggestion, don't give up your day job if you are thinking about a career in business analysis. Beats "ridiculous" headphone division now owns almost 60% of the premium headphone market, (those over $99), and is now the largest maker of wireless headphones in the world. With wireless now bringing in over 54% of the industry's revenue and growing at the rate of 64% y over y, Apple's purchase of the headphone division has turned out to be a brilliant business move. Not to mention the enormous benefits to the Apple Music platform.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Too expensive. I already own a ton of music. I don't buy more than 144 songs a year an I own them forever.
Unless you buy them via download. When you depart they are gone. Correct your forever, cannot pass them along like DVD's.

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
What is your definition of innovation (besides what Apple isn't doing)?
Innovation would be not selling Macbook Pros that are approaching 500 days old with a Haswell processor. Not selling Mac Pros that are over 1,000 days old. All full price no less. Also, having fully sweatproof Beats headphones instead of sweat resistant that don't survive any workout of strength. Not using the older TouchID in the iPad Pro for no logical reason. Huge Apple fan, but I am incredibly dumbfounded with how things have become recently. Hoping we see some good updates soon.

Lord of the Pies

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2016
South Africa
Unless you buy them via download. When you depart they are gone. Correct your forever, cannot pass them along like DVD's.

I can't fathom how some people don't use a music streaming service. It would cost a fortune to buy all the Apple Music stuff I add to my library, and the main benefit is how much new music I can discover when the marginal cost of checking out new stuff is zero.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Once I figured out where they'd hidden "show in iTunes store", Apple Music instantly revealed itself as what I wanted it to be: a music discovery service. Between Beats 1, the new customised New Music playlist and the mood playlists I am purchasing more music than ever. Win win for artists.

Reactions: MagMan1979

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
I like AM just not the new iOS 10 update. It's like AM has a bastard child with Microsofts Zune (RIP)

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I really dont thing the massive "when out and about" headphones known as "Beats" are apples 'thing' apple known for being minimalistic .....sorry to have to disagree with you @Abazigal.
Apple certainly didn't need a new R&D team. and could have bought FAR BETTER KOSS for - koss market cap approx $20 million !! May 2014

click on "5 year"

View attachment 659742

(I am bias people laughed when I first wore my trusty still wearing - Koss PortaPro in public 8 years ago)

click on "5 year"

View attachment 659742

Your own comment sums up why it would have made no sense for Apple to buy Koss. They weren't looking for an R/D team. They were looking for a brand that would help jump start Apple Music and also provide a line of headphones that that were already a market leader, massively profitable and relevant to a younger generation. The purchase has turned out to be a brilliant business move. You, as I do, may prefer Koss and other headphones to Beats, but Beats is market leader in "premium" (over $99) category, and Beats is the largest wireless headphone maker in the world. With the direction Apple is taking the entire industry in converting to wireless, Apple will reap massive profits. Remember, as of this summer, wireless headphones took over 54% of the revenue and there is no looking back! And, of course, none of this takes into account the huge benefit Beats brought to the new Apple streaming service.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Your own comment sums up why it would have made no sense for Apple to buy Koss. They weren't looking for an R/D team. They were looking for a brand that would help jump start Apple Music and also provide a line of headphones that that were already a market leader, massively profitable and relevant to a younger generation. The purchase has turned out to be a brilliant business move. You, as I do, may prefer Koss and other headphones to Beats, but Beats is market leader in "premium" (over $99) category, and Beats is the largest wireless headphone maker in the world. With the direction Apple is taking the entire industry in converting to wireless, Apple will reap massive profits. Remember, as of this summer, wireless headphones took over 54% of the revenue and there is no looking back! And, of course, none of this takes into account the huge benefit Beats brought to the new Apple streaming service.

Yes, BUY KOSS never will become old-fashioned (brilliant product and far more experience) AND say Tidal (rebrand) - (as I said in earlier post) (for < $50,000,000 instead of Beats (unfashionably in 5 years) $3,500,000,000.

You can do a lot with $3,450,000,000 !!!!!

Last edited:

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I can't fathom how some people don't use a music streaming service. It would cost a fortune to buy all the Apple Music stuff I add to my library, and the main benefit is how much new music I can discover when the marginal cost of checking out new stuff is zero.
I agree, responding to a position that owing is better, when in fact if you buy downloads you rent for your life. When you are gone so is your purchase downloaded library.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
My problems with streaming music from a connectivity point of view-1) Data caps. 2) poor wireless connection.
My problem with streaming music services in general-too much of an echo chamber. It tends to channel me into just a few types and sounds of music. Most of the time it's probably right, but there has been oddball stuff that I've found in the past that I like, even though I don't generally listen to that type of music. I would have missed out on a lot of good music if I was listening only to 'recommended for me' songs.

Now, full disclosure: I haven't tried the latest Apple Music format. I am judging it by comments, and I haven't seen much to change my opinion since I last used it.

Reactions: sofila

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
It wasn't too 'ambitious', it was just ugly interface design.
Something that Apple should get with the whole 'it just works' moto.

That and people have libraries of 1000's of songs they have collected over a lifetime. And then to mix that all in with the streaming was a mistake (at least for some people).

The new design does go part the way of fixing some of the issues.
They should at least offer a Apple Music App that is separate to Music for those that don't want to mix their Libraries.
And for those that don't care, just to toggle to use the 1 app.
The real area that needs serious attention is iTunes. = bloatware 2.0!
Split that stuff out into separate apps. Who wants everything synced through 1 app that is a complete mess.

What Apple needs is a few people that say 'no'.
It seems that everyone is in the iCloud floating along nodding in unison to Tim's every step.
They need the 2nd coming of Scott Forstall. I don't like the design stuff he used to push, but it sounded like he pissed people off. That is great. As at least then you have to rise above the noise to find a better solution.
Think of sand paper and wood. Lots of friction/conflict but the outcome is a nice smooth surface left behind.
Steve himself was famous for saying no. However the reason he said no was to find a better way.

Sometimes I like to think, oh maybe Apple is dragging their feet on purpose to keep the share price low. The reason is they announced a share buy back ages ago, and if they can get their stock cheaper, they can buy more of it.
(Which would increase the individual share price once the buyback is completed making all the execs more cash)

It just seems a whole lot of magic has been lost at Apple.
For me it started with scrapping Aperture which I used since version 1.0.
To all the other stuff ups: Maps, 1 port MacBook, no computer updates, soldered in ram - the list goes on and on...

I hope they can turn it around...

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Apple Music is trying hard, but I don't really care about music discovery. That's what friends are for. I have enough problems plowing through my collection of music.

That said, ioVine and crew should be doing stuff that pushes the industry forward. Screw the labels, the only thing they have is control of the back catalog. Apple Music should be playing for the next 100 years of music, not for the last 100 years of music.

Reactions: Chicane-UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.