Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I don't really think this is a reference to a real television—probably just a poorly worded reference to the AppleTV—but the people who are obsessing about the idea of an overpriced Apple branded television need to check themselves a little. Apple would certainly compete in the high end (no Westinghouse or Vizio) but I imagine they would be extremely competitive in price within that range.

They are actually quite price competitive in almost everything they do. People just like to compare their products to low-end plastic mass-produced trash.

redvettez06

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
I've always imagined a large flat glass screen/display that had Apple TV software integrated in there. The smallest Screen size being 55 inches & then larger ones following. And having a FaceTime Cam in the top, & and a Retina+IPS display. Amazing audio quality & more. I'm sure if Apple made such a product, they'd sell BIG TIME!

I honestly think Apple's future/next move is the Television business, and I'm sure they'll succeed at this. Now, that's an Apple TV!

"'Have faith in Steve,' Alex answered. 'He tells you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, "Go, throw yourself into the sea," and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in technology, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying for that SSD HD MacBook Pro sans Superdrive, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Steve in Cupertino may forgive you your sins'"
-The book of Jobs 19:76

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda saw this coming about 5 years ago. iTunes intergration into a TV with onboard storage content and it's own wi-fi connection for streaming Internet content makes a lot of sense.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Wouldn't an Apple TV, with a screen made by Samsung, really just be a Samsung . . . .

so you are saying all apple products that have a display are samsung? I mean all apple products have displays outsourced... So by your idealogy, everyone of them is not apple but rather the one that producted the display?

Anyways an Apple TV (actual TV) could be a good idea if apple can find a way to differentiate itself. The time for a TV isn't right as many are clued to their cable box, meaning apple would be no different than samsung in that case. But assuming iTunes content can go cheaper, maybe a monthly subscription for TV shows and movies and you got yourself something unique. Netflix and Hulu are not iTunes, so Apple has a chance to be unique. Plus they can integreate their ecosystem, Apps, music etc and definitely make a huge impact.

Plus just as the iphone isn't truly made by apple (display, components, etc) the quality and software on it makes it a unique product. Same can be applied to the TV market. If they can give the TV a twist, both in software and hardware, they can stand out.

Last but not least, Integrating other Apple products with the TV, such as your iPad/iPod as a controller (remote controller, gaming controller, etc), which they already kind of do with the AppleTV box, is another way they can differentiate themselves.

So what do I think is the reason they didn't get into this market yet, though they are keeping a close eye on it? Well its because people are clued to cable, making it hard to get people to give up cable and go for itunes. Without that advantage, apple wont bother going into that market. Not to mention licensing issues prevent apple from offering Tv shows subscriptions.

Basically ones Apple can add subscriptions, offer low prices, bring apps to the AppleTV and find ways to differentiate itself from others, you will see them start to enter that market. It's really all about timing here, just like when they came out with the iPhone in 2007, it was time to change the mobile world.

Thanks
AE

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I've always imagined a large flat glass screen/display that had Apple TV software integrated in there. The smallest Screen size being 55 inches & then larger ones following. And having a FaceTime Cam in the top, & and a Retina+IPS display. Amazing audio quality & more. I'm sure if Apple made such a product, they'd sell BIG TIME!

I honestly think Apple's future/next move is the Television business, and I'm sure they'll succeed at this. Now, that's an Apple TV!

Amazing audio quality that's in stereo! :eek:

I'd much prefer my Denon-powered surround sound, thanks. And I usually sit directly in front of my TV, so no real need for IPS for most setups.

I, for one, hate combo devices. The same reason I don't want an iMac. Want a bigger screen? Rebuy the whole TV! Want the latest software? Rebuy the whole TV! GPU goes dead? Rebuy the whole TV!

No thanks!

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Are we allowed to dream?

Grey's Anatomy has already a free application where you can watch their episodes with commercials. I don't watch that series but what if other programs set up their own apps, free with commercials or you pay and no commercials; you could pick and choose what you like and have a grand old time. If they can figure out a way to add news and sports, voilá.

Cable is becoming a never ending nightmare.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
... The display would be almost certainly overpriced (for the record I don't think of many of Apple's products as being overpriced...some however are very overpriced) with "features" mostly being iTunes related which I frankly can't stand. I doubt it would support Netflix streaming or Pandora natively (which are superior to iTunes IMO) as many televisions do now...

It'll probably be black and white too. :rolleyes:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Well for starters I don't see this as a great use of resources for Apple. I would like more resources directed towards OSX. Also, The display would be almost certainly overpriced (for the record I don't think of many of Apple's products as being overpriced...some however are very overpriced) with "features" mostly being iTunes related which I frankly can't stand. I doubt it would support Netflix streaming or Pandora natively (which are superior to iTunes IMO) as many televisions do now. I guess it doesn't matter as I could always vote with my wallet but I would rather Apple leave televisions to other companies. All that being said, it would most likely be a beautiful piece of hardware, though how many TVs aren't beautiful these days?

nobody cares about OS X or Windows anymore. the market is mature, no new features or major usability improvements in new releases on both platforms, etc.

we're in a mobile revolution now. imagine computers in the 1990's when every year was a huge improvement or new feature.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
stupid speculation by macrumors, not even p. 2 material, stick to copying the stories of apple insider.

redvettez06

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
nobody cares about OS X or Windows anymore. the market is mature, no new features or major usability improvements in new releases on both platforms, etc.

we're in a mobile revolution now. imagine computers in the 1990's when every year was a huge improvement or new feature.

Really? I do. I don't want to do web development, media manipulation, or record music on an iDevice. They aren't powerful enough yet...not even close.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
and for most of us home users it doesn't matter if it's a Mac, Dell or whatever. and if it has a super graphics card or intel graphics.

a computer is a laptop that sits in the corner just to hold data and only comes out to be sync'd with an iphone or ipad or android phone

redvettez06

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
and for most of us home users it doesn't matter if it's a Mac, Dell or whatever. and if it has a super graphics card or intel graphics.

a computer is a laptop that sits in the corner just to hold data and only comes out to be sync'd with an iphone or ipad or android phone

Yikes....I guess I'm the last person who wants to create with technology products instead of merely consume with them. :rolleyes:

Cheerwino

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
S.C.
The job description was definitely not written by a "non native English speaker." Sounds just like someone in HR. Those people are always in another land.

tk427.aj

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Already Done

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda saw this coming about 5 years ago. iTunes intergration into a TV with onboard storage content and it's own wi-fi connection for streaming Internet content makes a lot of sense.

You've just described the ATV, grab one and stick it to the back of your TV, voila the Apple TV.

The only thing Apple would be able to bring to the table would be an integrated interface with a TV. You're still going to need your cable box, since the cable companies aren't going to give that up. Yes, I'm pretty sure we could all guarantee a gorgeous TV designed by Apple, but not one that would see sales like they see with the iPad, iPhone and iPod product lines.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011

excellent comment, very astute observation that I am sure will fly over most people's heads (including some ceo's themselves...)

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois
Maybe a tv with integrated support for iOS games? Use your iPad or iPhone as a controller. But I guess you could just do that with a software update to the apple tv2. Plus an apple branded tv with a 55in screen would undoubtedly be incredibly expensive.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Logically you would think Apple would try and license AppleTV to TV makers. But considering how Jobs felt after the Moto phone w/ iTunes you realize Apple is either going to do it themselves or not at all. They are not going to license out b/c they lose too much control over the end product. And a Monitor w/ AppleTV built-in seems reasonable I suppose. Just not sure of the demand given how cheap top end HDTVs are and how Apple likes to command high end prices.

01grander

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I really do not think it is a good idea for Apple to create a TV. I really think they would have much more success at building something more robust than Apple TV.....something more along the lines of the Google TV products(like Logitech's Revue).

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
don't see why an Apple branded TV is so exciting.

If true it will just be a TV with AppleTV integrated.

Yeah it's nice to have one less object on the side of the TV, one less power cable running around, and I'll probably buy one if timing and price is right, but nothing really that exciting. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.