Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I'm impressed with the other MacGyvers in this forum such as myself that are brainstorming this problem and actually getting somewhere :D

LDT

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I bet AAPL ends the day below $260 today.

AAPL is trading at $267 as I type this.

With the media coverage gaining momentum, it's only a matter of time before some liquidation of long AAPL positions starts ahead of the weekend, which will no doubt see mobs of angry iPhone 4 buyers.

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Sorry I can't help but feel like people are "just looking for free stuff" when I read this. They said a fix will come shortly and you kept asking for a free case. Just does not seem right, especially with your "They will ship you a bumper!" Note the "!" as in "WOOT I got a case for free!"

I would of have never considered buying a bumper or a case. I actually bought a Zagg Invisible Shield for my phone, because I personally hate cases.

The least they could do for the inconvenience of this is offer free bumpers to everyone who bought a phone. Heck, Nintendo sent everyone free Wiimote Covers when they admitted to a faulty wrist strap.

Once the issue is resolved, which will mean me probably going in and exchanging the phone when more stock is available, I will probably never use the bumper again. But until then, darn right I am happy to get something for free!

B2fl3

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
I have all bars when using both hands. The issue I have is that my 3G keeps timing out. I turned 3G off and I'm using edge now. Anybody else having this problem?(should I post this somewhere else or ne thread?)

Mark.Lee

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
My god people are ruthless, a mans life over a phones signal. Same on you.

Losing phone signal can cause a life (or even more). While trying to call 911 for example.

My friend and I have been unable to reproduce the issue on his iPhone 4 except for one time when he held the phone so tightly it probably should have crushed it. My mom tried using it (she's left handed) and it worked fine. Maybe he just has the one that's the only exception to the rule, but if not, I'm confused. If all the iPhones are like his, why would anyone except Bruce Banner be worried about this?

Same here. Tested two iPhones with two different carriers -- everything's fine (no problems with the displays either).

Who's making calls with a key again?
I wonder if anyone tried yet to see if iPhone will lose a signal by connecting it's antennas to a high-voltage power line.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I have the signal problem.

What the heck are we supposed to do when we need to type something for text messaging or for viewing websites? I know we can go into landscape mode, but I don't think it's very efficient to rotate back and forth.

Also, about the free bumpers. I already ordered one, but it's not supposed to come in for a while. I wonder if Apple will let me buy one today and return it when I get my new one. It's not like I don't have a legitimate reason.

NeonGreenHermit

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
UK
Hi all.

I work for a major UK network and we've been testing this all day. It is not a manufacturing fault, but poor design implementation as has been said many times.

We've tested with numerous Micro SIMs in both locked and unlocked iP4's of both capacities, and the reason why some users are not reporting drops is because of local signal strength - if you're nearby to a cell (say within 50m) you won't even drop a bar clasping the whole phone with two hands. If you try another operator's Micro SIM in the very same handset (and their closest site is some distance away - we've not defined a specific distance yet) -even if the iP4 registers full bars- it will drop. It's all about proximity to the local serving cell, not what the iP4 says - check your network decibel levels. Every single iP4 suffers from this, and will reproduce this drop with the right testing scenario.

In this way, I imagine iP4 testing minus case at Cupertino were never conducted without a femtocell at hand - outside of Apple's secret rooms, the prototypes were covered in covert cases as we all know.

It's not impossible that Apple dropped the ball with this one, all things considering. A fix will need to involve a complete redesign of the antenna, which I know Apple would never do. Customers can complain all they want to their networks, but Apple calls the shots and so long as it sells, they have carriers over a barrel.

Personally, I'm very happy with my iP4, and don't hold the phone in such a way for it to be a problem. The form/function trade-off is something Apple fans should really be used to by now - iPhones will never be great phones in comparison to brick-sized Nokia's or such of old. Deal with it, or use something else. Perspective, people, perspective. If money is such a big issue, perhaps you'd be better suited to a non-luxury mobile that places function over form. Just a thought.

NGH

PezRadar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007

With the media coverage gaining momentum, it's only a matter of time before some liquidation of long AAPL positions starts ahead of the weekend, which will no doubt see mobs of angry iPhone 4 buyers.

Uh doubtful..

wpc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Canada
Seems to affect 3G not 2G - for me anyway

Not sure if it's been posted or not... but I seem to only suffer this loss of signal issue when the iPhone is running on 3G, not when it's on 2G. Try turnning off 3G and see if the problem persists. Doesn't for me. If I switch 3G back on, problem returns. Strange.

bundu

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Hi all.

I work for a major UK network and we've been testing this all day. It is not a manufacturing fault, but poor design implementation as has been said many times.

We've tested with numerous Micro SIMs in both locked and unlocked iP4's of both capacities, and the reason why some users are not reporting drops is because of local signal strength - if you're nearby to a cell (say within 50m) you won't even drop a bar clasping the whole phone with two hands. If you try another operator's Micro SIM in the very same handset (and their closest site is some distance away - we've not defined a specific distance yet) -even if the iP4 registers full bars- it will drop. It's all about proximity to the local serving cell, not what the iP4 says - check your network decibel levels.

In this way, I imagine iP4 testing minus case at Cupertino were never conducted without a femtocell at hand - outside of Apple's secret rooms, the prototypes were covered in covert cases as we all know.

It's not impossible that Apple dropped the ball with this one, all things considering. A fix will need to involve a complete redesign of the antenna, which I know Apple would never do. Customers can complain all they want to their networks, but Apple calls the shots and so long as it sells, they have carriers over a barrel.

Personally, I'm very happy with my iP4, and don't hold the phone in such a way for it to be a problem. The form/function trade-off is something Apple fans should really be used to by now - iPhones will never be great phones in comparison to brick-sized Nokia's or such of old. Deal with it, or use something else. Perspective, people, perspective. If money is such a big issue, perhaps you'd be better suited to a non-luxury mobile that places function over form. Just a thought.

NGH

I don't understand your last statement. A phone like the Incredible or EVO cost the same amount, on better networks and do everything the iPhone 4 does, with much more freedom to do so much more.

Munc

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
steve-jobs-as-darth-vader-i-find-your-lack-of-faith-disturbing.jpg

hazeydavey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
For the record, piece of scotch tape and exacto knife did the trick. Called without it, dropped call. Put it on, no dropped call.

Can't even see it...I know it's ridic fix for a brand new item...it's silly...but saves me from bitchin/worryin all weekend.

They'll either replace the phone, send everyone 20 pre cut band aids to bridge the gap or send us bumpers. They ain't going to let this snowball. They have to come out with something before the weekend if they have a clue.

B2fl3

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Not sure if it's been posted or not... but I seem to only suffer this loss of signal issue when the iPhone is running on 3G, not when it's on 2G. Try turnning off 3G and see if the problem persists. Doesn't for me. If I switch 3G back on, problem returns. Strange.

I have same problem. I can barely do anything in 3G. I have a case on too.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
The form/function trade-off is something Apple fans should really be used to by now - iPhones will never be great phones in comparison to brick-sized Nokia's or such of old. Deal with it, or use something else.

Form over function is one thing, but when form ceases function altogether, that's another.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
take it

I'll take that bet,

even though I DID but 240-260 july put spread

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Sorry but Blackberry 9700 sitting right next to the i4.

Blackberry full bars and 3G

iPhone 4 has 1-2 bars and 3G unless you touch it at the lower left corner and then no 3G.

The i4 is a nice phone but RF capabilities is everything!

bundu

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Form over function is one thing, but when form ceases function altogether, that's another.

I don't understand the Apple idiots on here who are actually willing to accept "form over function".

Why the hell can't we have both?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.