Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
so did gruber do apple a favor by saying this??

Also apple now cant complain others are copying them.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
They haven't said they ordered the Lightning port to Intel either.

I don't know who to believe, but these new ports have got to come to an end. Can't just one port do everything? Wasn't it the promise Lightning ports were supposed to deliver?

The problem boils down to this one picture:

dB2HYQK.png

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Why ditch MagSafe, though?!

I guess they wanted to conform to the USB-C standard and that that meant not having a magnet.

The MBA was already too light for MagSafe 2 in that they had to make the magnet for it so weak for it to be safe that the cable fell out all the time by accident. I'd still prefer a slightly overpowered magnet over no magnet at all, though.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
In practice, those groups are a way to spread the work out between group member companies, and sometimes that work ends up largely in one company. It's entirely plausible it was Apple

As it turns out, Apple has been heavily backing USB Type-C. Documents detailing contributors to the USB Type-C specification reveal that Apple assigned 18 engineers to help build it alongside companies like Lenovo, Dell, and HP. That engineer count is second only to Intel (with 24 people) and just above Microsoft’s 16 assigned engineers. Apple significantly surpasses the amount of engineers assigned from Google (10), Dell (5), and HP (6).

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/6/7505187/apple-macbook-2015-usb-type-c-reversible

Yep, they "invented" it, just like all the other things Apple has invented (like rectangular phones).

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
They haven't said they ordered the Lightning port to Intel either.

I don't know who to believe, but these new ports have got to come to an end. Can't just one port do everything? Wasn't it the promise Lightning ports were supposed to deliver?

Lightning was already perfect for what USB-C does and more. It's frustrating that they're making yet another port now. The problem is that nothing else could have a Lightning port because Apple didn't allow it.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Because MagSafe can't transfer data.

Lol... the "MagSafe" technology is not a port, it's a feature added on a port that's called magnetism. It probably couldn't have been added to USB-C because it lacks a surface to put the magnets on, but it'd be sad to see such a great technology fade away.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Only if you're in the minority of users that are going to be connecting a lot of things.

You mean just ONE thing. Yeah, you're safe as long as you don't want to connect anything to it that uses regular USB (or anything besides USB-C), and if you want to connect something that uses USB-C, you can't be charging your laptop at the same time. I don't have the numbers, but I think the majority of users would need a dongle.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Really? An Apple shill makes a claim he doesn't support at all and this is front page?
Exactly. Apple have not said this. And it's not confirmed until Apple say it.
Let MacRumors and all the others confuse what is rumour and what is fact. We all know this IS a rumour till Apple confirm or deny it.

And Gruber is not Apple.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
The problem boils down to this one picture

Lol unfortunately yeah... this is such a good summary... #

Lightning was already perfect for what USB-C does and more. It's frustrating that they're making yet another port now. The problem is that nothing else could have a Lightning port because Apple didn't allow it.

And maybe the price? Lightning cables were overly expensive and the lightning technology itself was also overly expensive.

I'm really dreaming of the day we only see one type of port do absolutely everything. As of USB2 I thought we were getting closer and closer.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

Lightning can not even support 1080P res, how is that better than USB C?

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I said this in another USB C thread, there is no reason why they couldn't have made an omnidirectional magnetic power AND data cable. Think of it as MagSafe on steroids.

You don't want your data cable to be as easily detachable as a MagSafe cable. If the cable came undone during transfer it could seriously corrupt files.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Because MagSafe can't transfer data.
Now, could they have added data to MagSafe (ie, created a new connector that disconnects as easily as MagSafe and by extension also connects as easily as MagSafe)? There are a few good reason why that might not have been possible:
  • MagSafe is disconnected by tilting the connector, ie, using leverage to overcome the magnets force. Directly pulling it out requires quite a lot of force. Pulling at the cable is thus not something recommended and pulling at the plug requires quite a lot of finger strength. This tilting is possible because the actual electric connection inside the MagSafe connector is head-on, ie, like fingertips touching each other. All data connections I know make the connection by 'fingers' touching each other by parallel overlapping. This allows to use a spring type force pressing them together. It also allows many more 'pins' that what a head-on connection of the MagSafe type allows.

Therefore tilting is out for data connections, which would make a MagSafe data connector much harder to unplug. On top of that, as strong as the magnets are, they are still not strong enough to provide the force that one currently needs to push in existing data plugs. And the overlapping fingers type of of plugs are sitting so tight (needed to ensure the fingers properly touch each other) that they are harder to pull out that the current MagSafe connector.
  • Having a data connection inside the MagSafe connector might be difficult because the magnets might interact with the data signal.
  • We still don't want data storage volumes to be disconnected before unmounting them (hot-disconnection is fine for monitors and network connections). A MagSafe type connector that is designed to be connected without warning cannot guarantee this.

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Germany
Apple has designed a new connector for USB. It's called Lightning. For some reason, Lightning did not become USB Type-C, though.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
And maybe the price? Lightning cables were overly expensive and the lightning technology itself was also overly expensive.

I'm really dreaming of the day we only see one type of port do absolutely everything. As of USB2 I thought we were getting closer and closer.

Isn't it only expensive because of Apple's fees? If you buy unlicensed Lightning to USB adaptors in batches of 10 off eBay, as I have been doing, they're less than $1 per cable. They're like $15 minimum per cable elsewhere. By the way, USB to mini USB cables and such are about that price in retail stores; they're only cheap online.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Actually I do, because I'm not likely to bump a hard drive while in use.

But their WILL be people who will, and they will no doubt blame Apple then for having corrupt data.

MagSafe was and is perfectly happy dealing with your power and charging, just use other ports for anything else..

Of course if Johny Ive wasn't so utterly obsessed with driving things to be as thin as a man hair, we wouldn't have these issues.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Not having the connector pull away when yanked on is a severe negative for a portable.

Really? It doesn't seem like a negative with iPhones and iPads...

I expect this to be the same. The days of charging your laptop while you use it are over.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
But their WILL be people who will, and they will no doubt blame Apple then for having corrupt data.

MagSafe was and is perfectly happy dealing with your power and charging, just use other ports for anything else..

Of course if Johny Ive wasn't so utterly obsessed with driving things to be as thin as a man hair, we wouldn't have these issues.

Fair enough, I realize Apple has to dumb down alot of stuff for the majority of non tech people. :)

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'll be pretty happy if Apple starts adopting this more as well as other hardware manufacturers. It's been a long time coming for apple to adopt a standard even if they created it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.