Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
If this is true it was a good idea to make it a standard, considering what happened with FireWire and Thunderbolt.

FireWire and ThunderBolt are both standards so your statement makes no sense at all. You do know what a standard is don't you?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You mean just ONE thing. Yeah, you're safe as long as you don't want to connect anything to it that uses regular USB (or anything besides USB-C),
And in a few years you'll need adaptors to connect your USB-C memory sticks to your older computers. You cannot make computers smaller and lighter without also moving to smaller connectors.

and if you want to connect something that uses USB-C, you can't be charging your laptop at the same time.
And the computer will hardly run out of power if you disconnect the charger for a short moment to connect USB sticks, card readers, cameras, printers, iOS devices for synching etc.. Even charging an iPhone should not be a problem, even the largest iPhone battery (the 6+'s battery), has only about a quarter of the MB's battery.

I don't have the numbers, but I think the majority of users would need a dongle.
As do the majority of people connecting external monitors or projectors. Would you therefore advocate that all laptops come with VGA, DVI, HDMI and mDP connectors?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Lightning was already perfect for what USB-C does and more. It's frustrating that they're making yet another port now. The problem is that nothing else could have a Lightning port because Apple didn't allow it.

Lightning has 8 pins, USB-C has 12 pins.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Magsafe is a good idea for laptops that are plugged in much of the time that they are being used. That was the case for laptops several years ago but is less true these days. I suspect that many people use their laptops like I use my iPad. I use it most of the day on battery power and charge it overnight. The next day, I unplug it and the cycle continues. I tyat usage scenario, MagSafe is not terribly useful.
You make a really good point. A MagSafe connection would be more important on the $349 HP laptop deal of the week at Office Depot. Since after a while the batteries on those things probably last about an hour. It's going to need to be plugged in most of the time.

The new MacBook has insane (claimed) battery life. The only time it's going to be plugged in is overnight to charge and be out and about throughout the day. That's the way I just my four year old MacBook Air. I rarely need to plug it in while in use.

seanjs

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Oceanside, CA
The iPhone doesn't have MagSafe (maybe it should?). Perhaps the thinking is that since it has all day battery life, it will only need to be plugged in overnight when not in use.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
I guess they wanted to conform to the USB-C standard and that that meant not having a magnet.

The MBA was already too light for MagSafe 2 in that they had to make the magnet for it so weak for it to be safe that the cable fell out all the time by accident. I'd still prefer a slightly overpowered magnet over no magnet at all, though.

Think outside the box. You don't need to have the USB-C itself break away. Just have a USB-C stub with a MagSafe just at he end of the stub. If the cord is pulled the MagSafe breaks away leaving the stub in the MacBook.

Since the USB-C is standard, and the other end of the cable is regular USB, I imagine that several companies are building a replacement cable incorporating this idea. It won't be Apple's MagSafe because of patent reasons but it can be a similar, magnetically-attached device.

----------

The iPhone doesn't have MagSafe (maybe it should?). Perhaps the thinking is that since it has all day battery life, it will only need to be plugged in overnight when not in use.

The iPhone is so light that MagSafe would have a hard time working. In addition, MagSafe terminals are exposed but you probably don't want the data connections to be. That could be solved but would need isolation work.

----------

Yeah, good point. I honestly forgot Google included a Type C. I stand corrected.

And the Google connection thingies should work with MacBook !

First time Apple and Google have worked together for ages :)

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
They haven't said they ordered the Lightning port to Intel either.

I don't know who to believe, but these new ports have got to come to an end. Can't just one port do everything? Wasn't it the promise Lightning ports were supposed to deliver?

It's quickly moving in that direction, and USB-C w/ USB 3.1 is the closest we've seen yet by far.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Lightning has 8 pins, USB-C has 12 pins.

Of the 12 pins, two are grounds (you really only need one), one is for orientation detection and two are for usb 2.0 support. Lighting has 8 pins plus a ground ( for reference USB 3.0 has 8 pins plus two grounds) and is an active cable, so it doesn't need separate pins for legacy support. It's not as straightforward an argument has USB 3.0, but lightning could handle USB 3.1 functions, possible with the exception of the increased power (which is irrelevant to a phone).

We'll see what happens, but I suspect they'll continue to use lightning on phones. It's "thinner", could be upgraded to USB 3.0 if not USB 3.1, and gives them control of the ecosystem.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Lightning was already perfect for what USB-C does and more. It's frustrating that they're making yet another port now. The problem is that nothing else could have a Lightning port because Apple didn't allow it.

Hardly, read up on the specs of each. Lightning is great for phones and tablets, USB-C/3.1 is ideal for computers. Note: DisplayPort output natively!

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
If this is true it was a good idea to make it a standard, considering what happened with FireWire and Thunderbolt. Now we're bound to see a lot more USB-C peripherals from the beginning.

What happened with them? You mean they were massively successful? FireWire being used in every DV camera and thunderbolt in every professional video studio?

A home machine like the air doesn't really need 20gbs connections - 5gb usb is plenty.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
It'd be awesome if they finally picked a cord and stuck with it. Apple is the oasis of dongles for their ever shifting connecting interfaces.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Yes, it can. Apple sells an adaptor from Lightning to HDMI that handles 1080p here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

It's compressed data via an H.264 stream. USB-C has way more bandwidth, especially once Gen2 comes out.

----------

I'll be pretty happy if Apple starts adopting this more as well as other hardware manufacturers. It's been a long time coming for apple to adopt a standard even if they created it.

Really? Other than Lightning, what non-standard interfaces have they adopted recently? If anything they're waaaaay better now and over the past 5 years than they've been at any other point.

----------

Unless things have changed it can not support 1080P

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/01/the-l...t-possibly-because-it-is-an-airplay-receiver/

That would be like saying the ATV 2 Supports 1080P because it has HDMI

You're confusing compressed vs. uncompressed with frame size and frame rate. ATV and Lightning take compressed H.264 1080p and pass it out as uncompressed video, according to such analysis. It's still 1080p, just not uncompressed video like DisplayPort. Which is why USB-C is rocking for computers.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I imagine you wouldn't want MagSafe in a port that transfers data. If it gets pulled when transferring files or before you disconnect a drive you could potentially corrupt the file or damage the drive. Maybe there will be an adapter that splits to a MagSafe power port?

Better a corrupted file than a broken MacBook, when somebody tears it down running into the cable. Happened to my PowerBook G4 back in the days before MagSafe…:(

Also, Apple's main purpose for the sole port on the MB already is charging, as everything else according to their vision should happen wirelessly. If you use it for a second display, also no problem if it suddenly gets disconnected by accident. What I wanna say: the seldom case where file corruption would be possible is the same case that Apple didn't build this notebook for.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
It's compressed data via an H.264 stream. USB-C has way more bandwidth, especially once Gen2 comes out.

----------

Really? Other than Lightning, what non-standard interfaces have they adopted recently? If anything they're waaaaay better now and over the past 5 years than they've been at any other point.

----------

You're confusing compressed vs. uncompressed with frame size and frame rate. ATV and Lightning take compressed H.264 1080p and pass it out as uncompressed video, according to such analysis. It's still 1080p, just not uncompressed video like DisplayPort. Which is why USB-C is rocking for computers.

Got it, still an inferior end result from the reviews I have read especially since you need a mini computer in the cable to get that inferior result.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
It's another lie. Apple also claimed they innovated a smaller logic board in the new Macbook. This is the Intel Core M prototype from six months ago.

1. Apple has not claimed anything. Gruber did
2. The proto board had nothing on it - ssd nope. gpu. It's a bear minimum board.
3. The stated they built a smaller logic board than the air.

----------

Because they obviously didn't invent it

Because it's a standards board. Highly probable that they did - like their nano sim beat out other options. I suspect other companies tendered their ideas and they went with one... Which may or may not have been Apples.

Don't really get what's so hard to understand. Happens all the time... But I guess some people on here like to just bash apple at every given opportunity. We don't come to your Samsung sites and do the same thing... Oh that's cos you don't actually have any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.