Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2011
Too many consumer iProducts. Not enough computers for professionals. Not enough software for professionals. Make a 17" MacBook Pro. Update iWeb. Support Flash. C'mon Apple! Get a move on.

Ironclad

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Saudi Arabia
Bad Design = no praise for this team

Sorry - not a fan here of the "POS7". From the hideous appearance, to the lack of customization to help readability in just simple text, to the multitasking mess that requires me to continually kill apps, it sucks. Was it really necessary to "improve" the music player so It takes me twice the fiddling to scroll through a list of albums? I really seem to need to do more work to do less now in 7

No points Apple. And I am a fanboy

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
People using stupid statements like "most people prefer ios7 to ios6" is just plain ignorance. 99% of people that upgraded to ios7 had no previous experience with it. Beta was dev only, 6.1.4 blobs are closed now. There was no "try before you buy" so to speak.

Ios 7 = 30-40% worse battery life than 6.1.4, bugs galore, horrible design, regressive evolution of intuitive use.

THANK GOD I downgraded back to 6.1.4 before blob signing was closed. Going back to ios6 felt like THE upgrade not vice versa.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Ios 7 = 30-40% worse battery life than 6.1.4, bugs galore, horrible design, regressive evolution of intuitive use.

THANK GOD I downgraded back to 6.1.4 before blob signing was closed. Going back to ios6 felt like THE upgrade not vice versa.

I thought about staying with ios 6 but went ahead and upgraded to ios 7 (too bright, too picky with background color, distracted animation when unlock, etc) for two simple reasons: future compatibility and additional features.

you can stay with ios 6 but sooner or later you will run into compatibility issues with apps and new idevice. so sooner or later you will have to adapt to the change.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Sorry - not a fan here of the "POS7". From the hideous appearance, to the lack of customization to help readability in just simple text, to the multitasking mess that requires me to continually kill apps, it sucks. Was it really necessary to "improve" the music player so It takes me twice the fiddling to scroll through a list of albums? I really seem to need to do more work to do less now in 7

No points Apple. And I am a fanboy

Hideous appearance - subjective.
Lack of customization to help readability - No. You can adjust the font size and font weight.
Multitasking mess that requires me to continually kill apps - are you referring to Android? iOS automatically terminates apps that are not in use if another app requests more resources. And you can turn off all background refresh.

----------

People using stupid statements like "most people prefer ios7 to ios6" is just plain ignorance. 99% of people that upgraded to ios7 had no previous experience with it. Beta was dev only, 6.1.4 blobs are closed now. There was no "try before you buy" so to speak.

6.0 was buggier than 5.1.1 too. This happens in any .0 release.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I hate to say it, but iOS 7 is a HUGE disappointment for me. The colors, icons, flat design, and super-minimalism is just horrendous in my opinion. I never thought Apple's and my taste would be so far apart. I remember reading here that some were worried that hardware and software design are two very, very different things and that Ive might not be a good fit...Damn if those fears became a reality!

That being said, it operates better than iOS 6.

Functionally, the OS is sound: it's easy to use (as always) and the added features are excellent (control panel, quitting apps). The functionality of the OS is good enough to not make me want to go back to iOS 6, just for it's look.

And there's the rub; yes, the adoption rate is high (who wouldn't update after waiting all this time??), but I wonder if there are more people out there like me who like the functionality but abhor the aesthetics..

I mean, this thing is just plain ugly. Or perhaps, just plain. This is iOS "Plain Text" mode with a little color sprinkled in. Ugh.

EDIT: I see that I am not alone...

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
The problem with Apple's executive level is that Steve Jobs set up a brilliant team with complementary skills and characters. The group was well balanced and Jobs had the charisma and leadership to push them into excellent results. This balance is gone now. Cook - while I'm sure that he's a good and hard working manager - is a manager, not a visionary. Even worse, there are now people in the team that do things that are beyond their expertise. I mean, c'mon, Ive is a very good industrial designer, but he has no skills in software usability, software design etc. iOS 7 is a usability disaster. They broke with so many design metaphors for no reason. Buttons are not buttons any more. Users can't distinguish sliders from text etc. The icons are totally beyond me. This stuff looks as if it was designed by a 13 year old asian kid that got a copy of Photoshop Elements somewhere.
So from a user's perspective iOS has received a fresh look, but it's less usable. People find it harder to get their work done, and that's what devices should be about. Ive made to iOS what he did to the iMac. Form over function is usually considered bad design. Even the icons are thin now, but unfortunately you can't recognize them because they follow a meaningless symbolism.

Regarding iOS 7 I don't see the big step forward. Yes, the looks have changed dramatically, there are some incremental improvements, but there's nothing that I can do with it that I couldn't do with iOS 6. Heck, iOS hasn't changed from my point of view since iOS 4. It's just little (albeit welcome) improvements. The good thing is that there's not much room for improvements any more ;-)

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Buttons are not buttons any more. Users can't distinguish sliders from text etc.

The icons are totally beyond me. This stuff looks as if it was designed by a 13 year old asian kid that got a copy of Photoshop Elements somewhere.

So from a user's perspective iOS has received a fresh look, but it's less usable. People find it harder to get their work done, and that's what devices should be about. Ive made to iOS what he did to the iMac. Form over function is usually considered bad design. Even the icons are thin now, but unfortunately you can't recognize them because they follow a meaningless symbolism.

Regarding iOS 7 I don't see the big step forward. Yes, the looks have changed dramatically, there are some incremental improvements, but there's nothing that I can do with it that I couldn't do with iOS 6. Heck, iOS hasn't changed from my point of view since iOS 4. It's just little (albeit welcome) improvements. The good thing is that there's not much room for improvements any more ;-)

1. You know how to browse the internet. How does a link of the internet look like? Yes, they don't have button borders, sometimes they are not underlined, and sometimes even not in blue. But you know how to click on them. Because it's obvious.

2. The icons? First it's subjective - I don't think the old Photo app icon made sense too. Oh, and the racist comment...

3. It's your opinion and inference based on that.

4. For what have changed since iOS 4 in 2010, Read the whole list first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
1. You know how to browse the internet. How does a link of the internet look like? Yes, they don't have button borders, sometimes they are not underlined, and sometimes even not in blue. But you know how to click on them. Because it's obvious.

Well, there are some rules in human interface design that were derived from scientific work that was done in the previous 40 years. That's not about taste, it's about how the human mind works.

2. The icons? First it's subjective - I don't think the old Photo app icon made sense too. Oh, and the racist comment...

Part of it is subjective, and I have to admit that it doesn't fit my taste. Other parts are just obvious violations of visual design rules (i.e. consistency; gradients, depth, symbols; it's a mess) and again of human interface design (icons should use symbols that provide a hint on what they represent; so what does the fotos icon mean ? or the settings icon ?
My "asian kid" was not a racist comment, but the fact that those colors look like taken from a chinese or japanese web site. Definitely not my taste and doesn't fit to Apple's minimalism.

3. It's your opinion and inference based on that.

Part of it, yes. But the majority of it is a violation of various design rules. Of course they can do it, but it's not a step forward. People will find it harder to use the system.

4. For what have changed since iOS 4 in 2010, Read the whole list first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

Still, there's not much that my iPad can do now that I was unable to do with it 4 years ago. It's incremental improvements (which is a good thing), but no big deal.

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
iOS 7 is a brilliant beautiful and thoughtful OS.

The new phones are the best existence.

Sales are through the roof.

Downloads are off the charts.

Bitch all you want. Apple is going up and deservedly so in this case.

People aren't fools. They love apple for a reason.

People can be fool/fooled, and many people hate Apple.
Perception depends mostly on the observer´s filters, meaning, it is always subjective.

----------

Aren´t we talking about personal preference here?
You do not like it, shouldn´t mean others should also not like it.

Many Beta testers do like iOS 7, a great number of them professional designers, and it is easy to read their review online.

----------

The only thing worse than Apple fanboys is Steve Jobs Fanboys. :eek:

Compatibility is perhaps the best word.
fanBoys ( last salivating espouse ) do get divorced.

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
I'm not making this observation based on one magazine cover. If Forstall was that brilliant and had all these amazing ideas and got along with everyone he'd still be there. And if Federighi or Ive were a problem they would have been fired.

Forstall was fired because he couldn't get along with others? Possibly. So was Steve Jobs.

Gee, I don't know any of those people. I don't know Forstall, Cook, Ive, Jobs, none. But neither do you. This is all speculation.

What we can tell is that IOS7 is Apple's Windows Vista. Many backwards steps in IMO.

We can also tell it was a result of the new "collaborative" team approach of Cook that, we know, is a complete rewrite of the process they had in place during Jobs rule. "Collaboration" can easily become "concession" and was that was exactly what it seems to have happened with IOS7. Too many concessions from either side delivering a buggy and ugly system.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Ive sucks. Flat is dumb. Buttons should stand out from the background, not be indistinguishable. And for ****s sake, some consistency, man! Gradient up, gradient down, what does the photo icon represent anyway, why are there bubbles on the game center icon, and why are those bubbles 3D instead of flat, why are all the colors playskool bright, why is find my friends still skeumorphic, why are some apps black-on-white and some white-on-black, etc, etc, etc. Ive is supposed to be the man, but c'mon, a lot of this is basic design and it's amazing he got it wrong.

I agree with your points, but something tells me Ive didn't have much to do with the design of IOS7 - it's already been cited numerous times that it is the marketing team designing the icons, etc. I think he is being kept in a golden prison by Art Levinson and the board, who also rule over Tim Cook with an iron fist. Executives of public companies can be fined, sanctioned, or even imprisoned if they overtly do anything which negatively affects stock price.

Remember when they bought Jony Ive a $16M house in Pacific Heights? I think that was the beginning of a trap set to enslave him, as everyone knew that if Jony were to have left right after Jobs died, it could have tanked the stock, or even ruined the company.

Scott Forstall appears to have been the only maverick among the executives, and while he may not be Steve Jobs, he could have taken Apple in directions away from those designated as appropriate by what should be called the "bleeders" - those forces which disregard culture and society in their pursuit of profit, which they may in turn direct towards the furtherance of clandestine ideological objectives. The calling of the new operating system Mavericks betrays an awareness amongst Apple's controllers of the now obvious lack of true mavericks heading Apple.

To summarize I think Apple was taken over by nefarious entities interested only in spending its socio-economic potentials, during and after the run up to Steve Jobs death. Call it a conspiracy theory -- it'll still make sense.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Forstall was fired because he couldn't get along with others? Possibly. So was Steve Jobs.

Gee, I don't know any of those people. I don't know Forstall, Cook, Ive, Jobs, none. But neither do you. This is all speculation.

What we can tell is that IOS7 is Apple's Windows Vista. Many backwards steps in IMO.

We can also tell it was a result of the new "collaborative" team approach of Cook that, we know, is a complete rewrite of the process they had in place during Jobs rule. "Collaboration" can easily become "concession" and was that was exactly what it seems to have happened with IOS7. Too many concessions from either side delivering a buggy and ugly system.

Nonsense, no comparison between Vista and ios 7 - plus stop contradicting yourself "we can tell" followed by clearly personal opinion.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I think Steve Jobs skewed the concept of what a CEO is versus what he did. He was able to pull it off due to his charisma and penchant for presenting new products, but a true CEO is in fact Tim Cook, with creatives underneath him. Not vice versa like how it was with Jobs.

Of course there is an argument that Steve being so heavily involved in the creative process as CEO made Apple what it was. Tim Cook is probably a better CEO than Steve was in the sense of running a business but it was the odd way Steve ran the company that in my opinion made Apple different. It still remains to be seen if Jony and Tim can form a winning team and take Apple in new and interesting directions. Only time will tell.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I see the new Apple going out of Jobs steps, not following it.

Which is a good thing isn't it? That's what Steve told them to, to do what's right for them, not for Steve.

----------

Of course there is an argument that Steve being so heavily involved in the creative process as CEO made Apple what it was. Tim Cook is probably a better CEO than Steve was in the sense of running a business but it was the odd way Steve ran the company that in my opinion made Apple different. It still remains to be seen if Jony and Tim can form a winning team and take Apple in new and interesting directions. Only time will tell.

I don't think Steve ran the company ever. Even when he was CEO, Tim ran the company it seems.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

While it is arguable that some of iOS7 isn't great it is far from the nightmare that Vista was. iOS7 is a step in a new direction and although I initially didn't like the look of it when seeing early screen shots after using it for a while I find it is moving in a good direction, clean, simple and easy to use. I think it could have been a lot better if the management shake up had happened earlier and more time could have been given to perfecting the new look. I think iOS8 is going to see a more coherent design and far more polished UI but iOS7 is a good start.

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Tim Cook?

What a loser of a CEO for Apple.

He simply is not fit for being Apple's CEO.

He has neither the charisma nor the vision to be the CEO of a company like Apple, which is supposed to be the industry's innovative leader.

Under him, Apple cannot even innovate, and is stuck on trivial issues like iPhone's screen size.

He can't even innovate, and spends most of his time for the past whole year blindly defending the iPhone's screen size like it is some dogma.

Apple should just oust him and replace him with someone else.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Part of it, yes. But the majority of it is a violation of various design rules. Of course they can do it, but it's not a step forward. People will find it harder to use the system.

That doesn't matter. People aren't supposed to get an easier to use system after each update. When things change, there's always an adjustment period. After that period, if people are still having issues using the OS, then it was a step backwards. But even if you change everything altogether, put different settings under different menus, different apps do different stuff etc, it still may be easier than before ONCE you get used to it.

I'm not saying iOS 7 is a big step forward in that sense, the music player is totally wrecked since it really takes 5 times as long to find a song due to the artist view now displaying every song in every album instead of album names only. I'm sure that'll be fixed though.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Ive sucks. Flat is dumb. Buttons should stand out from the background, not be indistinguishable. And for ****s sake, some consistency, man! Gradient up, gradient down, what does the photo icon represent anyway, why are there bubbles on the game center icon, and why are those bubbles 3D instead of flat, why are all the colors playskool bright, why is find my friends still skeumorphic, why are some apps black-on-white and some white-on-black, etc, etc, etc. Ive is supposed to be the man, but c'mon, a lot of this is basic design and it's amazing he got it wrong.

One thing I've noticed most so far is that it's really hard to find a suitable wallpaper for my iOS 7 now, both for lock and home screen. Texts are too thin, when I set it to "Bold text" it feels a bit awkward. When I change a wallpaper with high variety of colors it looks bad because there's too little shadow under the icons and texts now.

Shadowing is useful to make icons and text to be more adaptable when using backgrounds. Now it's flat .. and thin .. also there is the colors .. Oh, colors

----------

Wow Apple got it so wrong yet over 200 million devices upgraded, fastest software upgrade in history. And iOS 7 was widely discussed all over the place since June so don't give me the excuse that people didn't know anything about what they were upgrading to. I have friends who purposely haven't upgraded because they're content with what the have and don't want to deal with the change.

Just because it's downloaded by 50% of iOS users in the first week doesn't mean it's right. iOS always has the fastest adaptation rate amongst other OS because as usual it's so easy to get, no confusion, Apple control the distribution tightly.

I dislike garish colors of the icon, thin texts to make it hard to read but looks bad on "Bold mode" either. Windows is not the best OS but guess what? 80% PC users on planet Earth use it.

electronics1201

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
umm....

COME ON Apple, I thought it's about adding functionality NOT taking it away. I'm a 15+ year user of Apple products and to tell the truth I'm VERY disappointed that I can't respond to a incoming call while on the phone with someone via a text. USED to do that in past IOS.. The new phone book has a bug when adding a custom label to a name it now DOESN'T recognize it being a cell number to text it. Who are the MORONS field testing the new IOS ?? I was hoping not to need to jailbreak my phone, needless to say it looks like I will need to.. COME ON Apple, STOP TAKING FUNCTION AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Before you go off raving about your issues, do some research.

I saw this post and specifically made a test with the texting and incoming call, and label. All worked fine for me......soo.....

your doing it wrong

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011

You hit it on the head! Art by committee is inherently mediocre.

Who knows whether Forstall would have had the maverick talent that Jobs had. But there are no mavericks left, and Jony has apparently capitulated. Cook was never a leader, and shouldn't have been forced into the position he accepted.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012

The problem is that Cook might be good in running a business, but Jobs was excellent in building a business. That's two different things.

electronics1201

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
I'm not making this observation based on one magazine cover. If Forstall was that brilliant and had all these amazing ideas and got along with everyone he'd still be there. And if Federighi or Ive were a problem they would have been fired.

You say Jobs only cared about making outstanding products...are you suggesting Cook and Co. don't? Was every product that Jobs released outstanding? Were MobileMe and Ping outstainding? Is iCloud outstanding? Or Siri? How about maps? Surely a lot of that work was going on while Jobs was still around. Or how about the fact that Apple is still playing catch-up in terms of features compared to other mobile OS's? Why didn't we get control center or better multi-tasking in iOS6? The reason iOS is playing catch-up to Android is mostly because of Jobs and Forstall.

They key word you said was "catch-up in terms of features"....since when apple was about features? Never, Its the benefits that they concentrate on.

Apple has the technology and the brains to develop any feature you could dream of, but its about whether or not the majority of the customers will even use it:

1. look away to stop playing video: my sister has the s4, she used it for a few weeks and never since. why? its a hassle to turn it off and on
2. waving the finger 5 cm above the screen, that close you might as well just touch the darn thing
3. NFC?? if it was actually popular and people using it apple would have put it on the iphone 5s, but even the popular starbucks dont have NFC, and EVERYONE uses there smart phone app to pay for stuff.

Look at the samung event when they announced the S4 (which by away is already not compatible with the new devices they released), all they talked about what this cool thing..this feature..that feature...this cool settings..that cool settings.

Apple is about, this feature will BENEFIT you in this way......

If you think able is playing catch up, your on the wrong thread. Apple is so far ahead of everyone else its redunkolous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.