Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Next up is a redesign of the Mac OS. I can almost guarantee that OS X Mavericks is the last Mac OS to stick with the OS X look. The change is surely going to be as drastic, if not more so, than the switch from iOS 6 to iOS 7. This leads me to also believe that the next Max OS will not be called OS X, but will instead have a new name. I don't have any speculation on what that name could be. :apple:

It will still be OS X according to what they said at the keynote. But it indeed might be the last one with the current look. I wasn't aware that Ive is in charge of the entire UI stuff including Macs. This would mean that after he is done with (imo) ruining iOS, he will start to disimprove OS X.

Ive is the man behind selling 9 million iphones in a weekend.

Now, Who are you?

It's still Steve building the spirit, Tim running the business and thousands of people developing, engineering, marketing and managing the supply chain etc who are selling it. Ive is the man behind the it's-so-ugly and how-to-go-back-to-ios6 postings in the Apple discussions. People upgrade because it's new and it's from Apple (and they can't go back), but not because it's so pretty.

Regarding Tim and what he has accomplished, I think that he is doing a pretty good job. He might not have the obsessive passion and vision for design what Steve had, but Apple is still up and running as we know it, and that requires some serious management and leadership skills.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Ive sucks. Flat is dumb. Buttons should stand out from the background, not be indistinguishable. And for ****s sake, some consistency, man! Gradient up, gradient down, what does the photo icon represent anyway, why are there bubbles on the game center icon, and why are those bubbles 3D instead of flat, why are all the colors playskool bright, why is find my friends still skeumorphic, why are some apps black-on-white and some white-on-black, etc, etc, etc. Ive is supposed to be the man, but c'mon, a lot of this is basic design and it's amazing he got it wrong.

Ive sucks? Tell that to his ongoing legacy. I'd feel pretty stupid learning that the marketing team and other branches worked on the icon designs if I were you, luckily I'm not you. And it was to get a different approach to the applications.

People need to stop acting like they know a little something about design, especially when they question a choice like curvilinear forms over rectilinear and three dimensional over flat designs on an application regarding GAMES.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
It's unfortunate that Cook opted to fire Forstall rather than run the middle as Steve did. Talented people will have differences. I think Steve referred to them as "wonderful arguments"
Fantastic words. Thank you Susan.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Why do you put two spaces after every sentence?
Because way back in the stone age when typing still had something to do with a typewriter that was how it was taught. Does it bother you? Is it any consolation that I continue to do it on purpose?

----------

People need to stop acting like they know a little something about design, especially when they question a choice like curvilinear forms over rectilinear and three dimensional over flat designs on an application regarding GAMES.
At the risk of stating the obvious: If your design falls flat with the intended audience, the fault lies not with the audience.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
[/COLOR] At the risk of stating the obvious: If your design falls flat with the intended audience, the fault lies not with the audience.[/QUOTE]

+1

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
At the risk of stating the obvious: If your design falls flat with the intended audience, the fault lies not with the audience.

Which audience would this be? The over 65% who have adopted iOS 7 (according to Mixpanel)? With all the attention iOS 7 has received since June surely the adoption rates would be much worse if people hated it so. I have two friends who aren't upgrading until they absolutely have to because they're perfectly happy with iOS 6.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Which audience would this be? The over 65% who have adopted iOS 7 (according to Mixpanel)? With all the attention iOS 7 has received since June surely the adoption rates would be much worse if people hated it so. I have two friends who aren't upgrading until they absolutely have to because they're perfectly happy with iOS 6.

Why do you equate "adopted" with "approve"?

moxin

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Craig's Mac OS X Mavericks demo at WWDC 2013 has made me a fan of him.
:cool:

electronics1201

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Sure

Ok not sure if you're just taking the piss with this comment but if you're serious than I don't know what to say. Since I've upgraded to iOS 7 I use control center every day. I can't believe it took 7 generations of the software to get it. But if Jobs and Forstall were of the belief an end user shouldn't ever really need to be in settings, never really need to turn wifi or Bluetooth on/off then yeah I can see why we didn't have it. Doesn't mean they were right about it though.

And how about the ability to set default apps for mail, web browser, maps, etc. Is that just silly customization that no one but a small number of geeks cares about? I don't think so. Same with actionable notifications, better inter-app communication, iCloud sync, file management. I think these are all areas where people would argue Apple is behind the competition.

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone on exactly how Apple is so far ahead of the competition here.

I can tell you how

Go to any apple store, ask the first 20 customers as they walk in "Can you please go to your photo album". 80-90% would do this:

unlock iPhone..launch camera...go to the photos on the bottom left corner.

Than you ask them "why didn't you just go to the photos app"

..than they do a blank stare......

'O wow there is a photo app?? neat....."

The IQ of iPhone customers, pertaining to iPhone, is so low , this is just one of the examples.

I can't tell you how many people will open safari and type in "yahoomail.com", instead of using the mail client. Or the fact they can access camera from control center, guided access, restrictions, airdrop, even "o wow, i can go to iCloud.com and use iWork's, never knew that, probably never will use that either............."

So yes, apple is FARRR ahead because the IQ of the average/most customers (again, iPhone IQ) is so ridicicously low.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I can tell you how

Go to any apple store, ask the first 20 customers as they walk in "Can you please go to your photo album". 80-90% would do this:

unlock iPhone..launch camera...go to the photos on the bottom left corner.

Than you ask them "why didn't you just go to the photos app"

..than they do a blank stare......

'O wow there is a photo app?? neat....."

The IQ of iPhone customers, pertaining to iPhone, is so low , this is just one of the examples.

I can't tell you how many people will open safari and type in "yahoomail.com", instead of using the mail client. Or the fact they can access camera from control center, guided access, restrictions, airdrop, even "o wow, i can go to iCloud.com and use iWork's, never knew that, probably never will use that either............."

So yes, apple is FARRR ahead because the IQ of the average/most customers (again, iPhone IQ) is so ridicicously low.

Are you suggesting that you're advocating for the dumbing down of Amerika and all smartphone users by defending Apple's ios UI design?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.