Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
While this is cool, I just don't see where it deserves as much coverage as it's gotten. Some rich guy is going to over bid for a one of a kind Mac and write it off on his taxes.....meh.

And people that need it will benefit from the money. Its just awful! :rolleyes:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Since Jony is of course reading closely this thread,
here's few idea's for new one-of-a-kind artifacts:
1. Laptop with 17" matte retina screen and fusion drive
2. Headless mac with dGPU & usb3 with costs less than MP or imac.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Its not worth 40k, thats the suggested price because this is a charity piece. No different than a dinner with 30k a plate pricing, your not paying for the actual product.

You'd think that was a simple concept to grasp really, but apparently not for some on here. :(

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
you beat me to it. a $40,000 coke can.

both of the same sort of company multi-national corporation ethics, go in, destroy the land and the people, make huge profit gains and spit on the world, fly off in a spaceship to the 'next' planet

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
The only bad thing about this is that it - presumably - prevents Apple from releasing a red Mac Pro for general use. Otherwise whoever buys this would be mightily pissed off.

Doubt it, Apple has never knowingly given a damn about pissing customers off, mightily or otherwise.

I'd love a white Mac Pro, or gold. Or even orange. Or even ANY Mac Pro.

White or brushed aluminium for me! :D

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
Besides being busy with special projects, I'd be interesting to know how much time J.Ive spends on his regular responsibilities. Somehow it's hard to imagine the overly simple "flat" design of iOS 7 would consume much time. Especially when we consider the cadre of engineers at his disposal.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
And people that need it will benefit from the money. Its just awful! :rolleyes:

Maybe....unfortunately in this day in age most fund raising of this type is done by professional fund raisers who take most of the money and a small percentage actually ends up making to the intended charity.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Maybe....unfortunately in this day in age most fund raising of this type is done by professional fund raisers who take most of the money and a small percentage actually ends up making to the intended charity.

They can have a small percentage of something or all of nothing. I know which id choose

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
"Jony Ive Designs One-of-a-Kind Red Mac Pro for Product (RED) Charity Auction"

SHOULD READ :

"Jony Ive clicks Fill button in paint for Product (RED) Charity Auction Mac Pro"

no "design" took place , at all..:rolleyes:

I don't think it's a big deal as it's completely in the line of the red ipod and red accessory editions which were similar to the originals, just in a different colour.

This also may explain why the Sotheby's site describes it as "selected and customised by Jony Ive and Marc Newson". Of course unhappy people will now ask why it takes two people to pick one colour, but at least the "and no design ever happened!!!1!"-crowd should be satisifed.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Wait, so they spray painted this red instead of black, and are charging 40,000USD? what?

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks this is ugly as ****?

Nah, I am not really into it either. Though it does remind me of an old iMac I had that I used to open up from time to time to spray paint the internal plastic. Red, blue, green, etc. Fun times. The Mac Pro, too, looks pretty easy to safely paint any way you want. One color I would NOT paint it though, is Midlife Crisis Red.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

3. Stop pontificating about how terribly important we take Design at Apple for every keynote presentation, via pre-recorded white backdrops.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Wait, so they spray painted this red instead of black, and are charging 40,000USD? what?

I'm guessing it's higher quality finish than spray paint. And the price is because the proceeds are going to charity. In auctions like that people are bidding based on how much they want to donate, not the actual value of the product.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Not if they make it use an accelerometer to detect your lateral acceleration!

That and I'm sure the way they interface into the CAN bus will make the clique of Michigan / Illinois centric automotive engineers cringe.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I'm guessing it's higher quality finish than spray paint. And the price is because the proceeds are going to charity. In auctions like that people are bidding based on how much they want to donate, not the actual value of the product.

There are plenty of ways to donate to charity without giving Apple a slice of the pie.

Not to mention this is about acquiring a 'one of a kind' item from Apple, so it would be Apple who is donating and not the millionaire who pays 40,000usd for the spray painted mac pro which he will put in his trophy room and try to sell it for $profit$ years later.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
1. Nobody wants 17" laptops anymore. They're big and clunky. You can't have a fusion drive in retina anyway, retina is too thin. There is no reason that if they make a 17" retina to make it thick enough to house a 9.5mm drive.

2. like, a mac mini with Sonnet PCI-e thunderbolt enclosure and a dGPU of your choice? Still cheaper than iMac/Mac Pro.

generationrex

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
So what? Your point is that a One Off Red Anodized MP for the best run non Philanthropic Charity on the Planet is somehow a Futile Exercise in Design?

The phrase "best run charity" and Product (Red) don't really belong in the same sentence. Great marketing organization, but in terms of actually raising funds that benefit programs, their track record is suspect.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Why not? It's not as if people desiring a completely nondescript matte black rackmount are going to buy from Apple.

The idea that Mac Pros will only be bought by speed freaks that want the absolute fastest possible machine to render movies on is ridiculous.

For people who "need" a tool that will allow them to be efficient at a job, the color is not that important. Just like I am sure the demand for non-red Snap On tool boxes doesn't come from mechanics. It comes from DIYers who change their own oil on weekends.

For posers, sure, color is a huge deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.