Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Yeah the apple bras probably uses the same logic.

Well I donated either in taxes or person a lot more then 0.065% of my net income.

My point is that this is absolute BS, BS to make some people feel as if they actually do something to help. But when it really matters those same people will save any penny in taxes for apple or for themselves.

Hypocrits .

Sigh. I'm glad I don't run into many people as cynical and negative as you during my days. And when I do I just do the same thing as I'll do with you from this point forward: <palm>

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
1. Nobody wants 17" laptops anymore. They're big and clunky. You can't have a fusion drive in retina anyway, retina is too thin. There is no reason that if they make a 17" retina to make it thick enough to house a 9.5mm drive.

2. like, a mac mini with Sonnet PCI-e thunderbolt enclosure and a dGPU of your choice? Still cheaper than iMac/Mac Pro.
1. I want 17" laptop, which is as light and thin as 15" rMBP now. And there are thin hdd's.
5 millimeters: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/laptop-ultrathin-hdd/
7 millimeters: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-thin/
Big screen in laptop gives absolutely same benefits than big screen in desktop. Nobody's claiming that 27" imac is too big?

2. iMac with dGPU is $1499. Mini with same ram, storage, mouse & wireless keyboard is $1037. The difference in cpu is that imac has 2.9GHz quad-i5 and mini 2.3GHz quad-i7. Are you saying that Sonnet's box and decent GPU is less than $462? What GPU's are even available?

Pretty obvious that Apple is selling all-in-one to price-conscious buyer, even if you'd like to have some other screen, since you get the screen with no additional price.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
There are plenty of ways to donate to charity without giving Apple a slice of the pie.

Not to mention this is about acquiring a 'one of a kind' item from Apple, so it would be Apple who is donating and not the millionaire who pays 40,000usd for the spray painted mac pro which he will put in his trophy room and try to sell it for $profit$ years later.

Where does it say that Apple is actually profiting from this? I'm pretty sure for most auctions like this the items are donated...

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
1. I want 17" laptop, which is as light and thin as 15" rMBP now. And there are thin hdd's.
5 millimeters: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/laptop-ultrathin-hdd/
7 millimeters: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-thin/
Big screen in laptop gives absolutely same benefits than big screen in desktop. Nobody's claiming that 27" imac is too big?

2. iMac with dGPU is $1499. Mini with same ram, storage, mouse & wireless keyboard is $1037. The difference in cpu is that imac has 2.9GHz quad-i5 and mini 2.3GHz quad-i7. Are you saying that Sonnet's box and decent GPU is less than $462? What GPU's are even available?

Pretty obvious that Apple is selling all-in-one to price-conscious buyer, even if you'd like to have some other screen, since you get the screen with no additional price.

1. I want a 13" QuadCore. Tough luck.
Because 27" sits on a table and doesn't get moved often. Or at all. Actually I was pretty sure 13" unibody will get a 5mm drive due to a pretty hefty empty space below the trackpad. However since the newest 13" is thinner I'm pretty sure they dropped that idea. Makes sense, HDD perform awful compared to PCIe SSD.

I'm not really a fan of fusion. Dual-drive, okay.

2. You can run any GPU as of 10.8 I believe. It could be cheaper than 462$ but not many options are available for that amount. I see your points.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
We are not miserable, we just don't swallow all the carp Apple shoves down our throats.

$1000's of raised when the drugs costs $100,000's. Hell i'm on £200,000 worth of drugs a year. Thats without the latest advance. Can rack that up to £500,000 if they get full approval.

This isn't even a drop in the ocean.

If you're taking that much drugs, you're either miserable, or really really happy.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
For people who "need" a tool that will allow them to be efficient at a job, the color is not that important. Just like I am sure the demand for non-red Snap On tool boxes doesn't come from mechanics. It comes from DIYers who change their own oil on weekends.

For posers, sure, color is a huge deal.

Ah yes, the poser that buys a Mac Pro to have at their desk browsing Facebook. Yep. Guilty. I want the red one so I can browse Facebook, take pictures, and show the world my sexy red Mac Pro.

Got me man. Yep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.