Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza1976

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Grand Haven MI
Actually, they never had a lock on timepieces, they just knew how to market them, then again, you are probably to mainstream to notice that.

Besides, those watches are ugly as hell. Have you ever thought about the fact that watches are one of the indicators of your personality? Yours are yelling lack of confidence and attention.

Wow, a personal attack. And who has confidence problems?

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
What I don't get is why they continue to harp on the pulse transmission thing as this really intimate way of communicating. It's such a gimmick! You'll probably use it once and then never again.

On the surface it is gimmicky but I'm reserving judgement until I try it for myself. That might be hypocritical considering I've trashed plenty of Samsung gimmicks without trying them but Apple has earned my trust enough with a great track record.

Yes it's creepy and weird and all those things but there might be something there. Remember in the Predator movies when he changes his views from thermo to all these other ones. It's like the Predator had multi-senses through technology. Sensations that we would never experience without technology. Think of it like a new sense. I'm not sure how it works (proximity?) and I would never want it to work with strangers and random people I know but what about a new way to sense and send intimacy. I'm excited that Apple is moving beyond touch and into pressure touch, haptic feedback and more. The future is not just about 8k screens, multitouch and holograms. It will also be about things we did not see coming. Is Apple Watch one of those things? I'm reserving judgement but keeping my mind open.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
I thought that too until you realize that it just opens him up to too many questions and people asking to touch it and try it on. Knowing how shy he seems, I don't blame him.

Yes that's why he's wearing an one-off Jaeger LeCoultre Deepsea and not an Apple Watch :rolleyes::rolleyes:

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I am genuinely puzzled at so much apple hate even on an apple forum

I never thought that you could get more than a niche market but although I won't purchase it I'll give apple the benefit of the doubt. How can there be so many complaints based on speculation.

Its as if people think they are contracted to wear one and they aren't happy.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Chupa, let's keep it simple shall we.
Can I swim with it?

If not, I won't buy it. That's all I am saying.

Waterproof, water resistant, whatever.
Can I jump in the pool or ocean and swim for as long as I like- not dive.

OK let's keep it simple. I like simple too.

If YOU won't buy it, fair enough. It doesn't have the features you want/need/desire and that's a thoughtful reason not to buy something.

But your original post had a broader inference of poor sales if it wasn't waterproof.

You wrote:

If it's not waterproof (which indications claim it is not), it's a very big misstep.

Now if I misinterpreted and you only meant it was a "misstep" in that you personally won't buy it then my apologies for putting words in your mouth.

But if you meant it would be an incomplete product w/o waterproofing and that few would buy because of that then, as I've written, I disagree, and have yet to see you make a plausible explanation why that would be nearing disaster for the Apple Watch.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
The heartbeat thing may be the biggest gimmick I've ever seen talked about by someone that high up in the company. It's *absolutely* useless, and no one will care. Why mention it?

Apple is a company with a history of little "cool" things/features, that can be demoed quickly/easily, that get to be part of their products (this was often how features were sold to Job's and allowed to move forward as part of their products/software way back when)...(now switching users on OS X and watching the screen rotate...).

I think it sounds cool, very Apple'ish, but would be used much more by single young folks in their dating lives (who won't be buying $400 watches). Of course this gets back to how Apple makes/designs things (this feature would never make it through a focus group), they make/design things they think would be great and put it out there for us to take or leave.

I don't have plans to buy one (have lots of Apple's other products) & hopefully Apple is ready for a soft launch...

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
What I don't get is why they continue to harp on the pulse transmission thing as this really intimate way of communicating. It's such a gimmick! You'll probably use it once and then never again.

I'd use it if I had a girlfriend at the moment.

----------

Apple is a company with a history of little "cool" things/features, that can be demoed quickly/easily, that get to be part of their products (this was often how features were sold to Job's and allowed to move forward as part of their products/software way back when)...(now switching users on OS X and watching the screen rotate...).

I think it sounds cool, very Apple'ish, but would be used much more by single young folks in their dating lives (who won't be buying $400 watches). Of course this gets back to how Apple makes/designs things (this feature would never make it through a focus group), they make/design things they think would be great and put it out there for us to take or leave.

I don't have plans to buy one (have lots of Apple's other products) & hopefully Apple is ready for a soft launch...

This. Remember how many such little gimmicks Apple demoed over the years, which probably nobody cared about. But someone at Apple did, most of the time that person was Jobs.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I do think the Apple Watch is going to flop. I just don't think there is going to be a wide adoption of folks who want to start wearing watches. I think it is going to be a bit too nerdy and awkward.

and. . .I'm going to be a bit creeped out if people start sending me their heartbeat. . . What am I supposed to think when that happens. :confused: New creeper threat vector IMO.

Using a smartphone was nerdy and awkward...before 2007.

Musubi

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
U.S. / 東京 日本
Part of this thread reminds me of that infamous "500" one back in 2001. :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/

Myself, I'm not interested in the initial Apple Watch iteration (want to see it go through the inevitable shrink). But I can see it going through that same design/feature refinement the iPod and iPhone went through (when you compare those first versions to maybe 2 or 3 generations after where they really started hitting their stride).

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I like Jon, but I wish he wouldn't do that "salute" that he gives people at conferences....

jonyive.jpg

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
OK let's keep it simple. I like simple too.

If YOU won't buy it, fair enough. It doesn't have the features you want/need/desire and that's a thoughtful reason not to buy something.

But your original post had a broader inference of poor sales if it wasn't waterproof.

You wrote:

Now if I misinterpreted and you only meant it was a "misstep" in that you personally won't buy it then my apologies for putting words in your mouth.

But if you meant it would be an incomplete product w/o waterproofing and that few would buy because of that then, as I've written, I disagree, and have yet to see you make a plausible explanation why that would be nearing disaster for the Apple Watch.

Yes, for me- not for the universe :)
Sometimes words just don't come out as clear as I like.

you got me now

wimdows

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Sorry but...

...feeling your friend or partner's heartbeat is absolutely nothing more than a gimmick. Cool, no doubt. But a gimmick nonetheless.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
The heartbeat thing may be the biggest gimmick I've ever seen talked about by someone that high up in the company. It's *absolutely* useless, and no one will care. Why mention it?

Good to know nobody knows anyome with health issues that others might be interested in keeping track of....

The idea that such a feature serves no utility is born out of pure ignorance.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Jony Ive should be used as a "spice" in the company and not as the "main course".

When people like Jony are given too much power, the balance tilts too much in favor of form over function. Worse, the company could lose some of its engineering "common sense" in favor of "art".

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I like Jon, but I wish he wouldn't do that "salute" that he gives people at conferences....

Yeah, that is so true, not only that but I hate the way he holds the mic at the end, like what's that about. And that little frown, I pray every night that this extremely irritating facial gesture is sorted. I could go on and on, and I'm sure that everyone would be most amused and interested in my witty observations.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I am genuinely puzzled at so much apple hate even on an apple forum

I never thought that you could get more than a niche market but although I won't purchase it I'll give apple the benefit of the doubt. How can there be so many complaints based on speculation.

Its as if people think they are contracted to wear one and they aren't happy.

It's no different than when the iPod and iPad launched.. and to some extent, even the iPhone. People tend to be skeptical and not very imaginative. Their first reaction is to criticize because they don't quite understand it. But once they see the early adopters using them and the idea gaining traction, they'll eventually jump on board too... the classic herd mentality.

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
It's been said a million times, but I do miss Steve's influence on the company. Ive and him made a great team. Things weren't always perfect, but it was exciting.
And even when it wasn't that exciting Steve made it seem exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.