Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
On the surface it is gimmicky but I'm reserving judgement until I try it for myself. That might be hypocritical considering I've trashed plenty of Samsung gimmicks without trying them but Apple has earned my trust enough with a great track record.

Yes it's creepy and weird and all those things but there might be something there. Remember in the Predator movies when he changes his views from thermo to all these other ones. It's like the Predator had multi-senses through technology. Sensations that we would never experience without technology. Think of it like a new sense. I'm not sure how it works (proximity?) and I would never want it to work with strangers and random people I know but what about a new way to sense and send intimacy. I'm excited that Apple is moving beyond touch and into pressure touch, haptic feedback and more. The future is not just about 8k screens, multitouch and holograms. It will also be about things we did not see coming. Is Apple Watch one of those things? I'm reserving judgement but keeping my mind open.

Excellent insight and writing.

And extra credit for "Predator" analogy. :)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If they did all that study into the history of watches, clocks and watch making etc, Jony would realise what he is created , is not bringing back the watch that the cell phone has killed to some extend (his words).

They are introducing an accessory for the iphone, that is worn on the wrist.

Im interested in how many functions will not work if your iphone is not with signal distance.

Though the biggest question not answered, how is the battery life?

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
I do think the Apple Watch is going to flop. I just don't think there is going to be a wide adoption of folks who want to start wearing watches. I think it is going to be a bit too nerdy and awkward.

and. . .I'm going to be a bit creeped out if people start sending me their heartbeat. . . What am I supposed to think when that happens. :confused: New creeper threat vector IMO.

The global watch market is $46 billion dollars. I suspect Apple will do just fine with WATCH.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
It will be interesting to observe how well the Apple Watch does with the non-tech-obsessed female side. The Watch looks, no matter the size, finish, or band type and color, very masculine.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Everything that comes out of this guy's mouth is fancified gobbledegook. He totally trashed the iOS UI, and now he thinks he's done something special with watches. He's the equivalent of a pop star or teen actress who became a superstar and is completely out of touch with reality. He's a zillionaire with a crowd of fans following him around, fostering his delusion that nothing he does is imperfect in any way.

midiac

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Near Los Angeles
Heartbeat "Gimmick"

I hope they didn't spend too much time on that heartbeat sharing feature that no one will use...

O.K. People, let me offer you a different perspective . . . Have any of you seen the news lately about wars all over the world, or even worse, internet postings of all the beheadings recently?

What is a heartbeat? A sign that you are still alive, and something simply NOT to be taken for granted as most of us do. Honestly, how incredible is it to send that direct communication with loved ones, showing your appreciation for . . . LIFE. Wake up people, let go of your hatred, and open your eyes, heart, and mind to something new. :apple:Watch will be much more successful than ANY of you can imagine. Mark my words. Remember how "ugly" they claimed the iPhone 6 is? Hmmm.... too bad that hasn't taken off at all. . . Just sayin' :cool:

----------

Their thing seems to be fashion over function.

The Fashion aspect is simply a feature, and a rather important one considering all the other attempts are nothing in comparison - only MY opinion, not a fact. You see any other company take this approach? Hmmm... Who seems to be eating it up? Don't see much rejection . . . except from techie geek heads that think they know everything.:eek:

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
and. . .I'm going to be a bit creeped out if people start sending me their heartbeat. . . What am I supposed to think when that happens. :confused: New creeper threat vector IMO.

I would assume people would send their heartbeat to their girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband.

I would also assume that you can't send your heartbeat to just anyone without verification from the receiver.

midiac

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Near Los Angeles
And even when it wasn't that exciting Steve made it seem exciting.

It goes without saying that most of us all miss Steve, your are all stating the obvious, but when you get down to it, is it the products we get excited about, the presenter, or the presentation. And I think we can ALL agree that NOBODY puts on a presentation quite like Apple does, including the press / fashion experts / CREATING A WHOLE NEW BUILDING to perfectly display it's latest masterpiece. For all the new things I've seen Tim do, like present honesty and complete transparency, apologizing when needed (maps), explaining circumstances when people are in doubt (iCloud Nude-Gate), it's just people tend to not want to listen and think they know better. Egos tend to get in the way.

kerosene

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
I would assume people would send their heartbeat to their girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband.

I would also assume that you can't send your heartbeat to just anyone without verification from the receiver.

Let's hope so...and there'll be an option to switch off that feature alltogether!

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
I was actually very disappointed with the Apple watch. I had expected that they would "Think Different" and give us a wrist worn computing device that did things that we hadn't even though of.

Instead they spent all this effort studying the history of watches and all that crap. I'm sorry, but moving from losing 1 second a month to being within milliseconds is meaningless to me.

I don't wear a watch and I won't wear an Apple watch until it does something compelling. Plus, if I want to track a run, I still have to carry my phone with me to get GPS.

I have had almost every gen 1 product, but not the watch. This is the first time I really feel like they lost their way without Steve Jobs to provide a vision.

Agreed, I don't think it will be much of a hit. I am for sure not getting one.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
The major fault with the apple-watch is that it is a part device, it needs to be tethered to the iphone, so for many this is a problem, you might not have an iphone, so the apple watch is pretty much a paperweight!!

This to me is a massive blunder, to render a device inert or non functional without the related phone is a mistake, yet there seems to be no word or discussion in this regard.

It should work without having any need for the iphone, yes I know it can, only a very few apps on the apple watch will work, defeating the point to a 6 hour watch, which after 90 days of heavy use, this is what the battery will be like... I have owned many devices that start out with long life batteries, and within a very short time they wear out as I use the device a lot, with the apple watch, this will be the same.

What Apple should do is with the Apple Watch, in the same box, a free iphone and a boatload of battery boosters, that gives at least 60 hours battery life!!

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Everything that comes out of this guy's mouth is fancified gobbledegook. He totally trashed the iOS UI, and now he thinks he's done something special with watches. He's the equivalent of a pop star or teen actress who became a superstar and is completely out of touch with reality. He's a zillionaire with a crowd of fans following him around, fostering his delusion that nothing he does is imperfect in any way.

Well put. The King's Clothes adage was never more apparent here ....

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I called it a collective corporate insanity.. Jony Ive has to have had a stroke or some sort of brain malfunction. Tim cannot deal with what this means for Apple, so the insanity carries on, the minions at HQ are too scared to speak out, and I really do not blame them, the web is rife with tales of the way Apple treats staff both in HQ and retail, let alone in China!!

I agree with the Emperor's new clothes comment!!

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

That's not mind control.

----------

The major fault with the apple-watch is that it is a part device, it needs to be tethered to the iphone, so for many this is a problem, you might not have an iphone, so the apple watch is pretty much a paperweight!!

This to me is a massive blunder, to render a device inert or non functional without the related phone is a mistake, yet there seems to be no word or discussion in this regard.

It should work without having any need for the iphone, yes I know it can, only a very few apps on the apple watch will work, defeating the point to a 6 hour watch, which after 90 days of heavy use, this is what the battery will be like... I have owned many devices that start out with long life batteries, and within a very short time they wear out as I use the device a lot, with the apple watch, this will be the same.

What Apple should do is with the Apple Watch, in the same box, a free iphone and a boatload of battery boosters, that gives at least 60 hours battery life!!
And they can do that in 5-7 years as tech advances.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
These "Apple Watch will flop, it's pointless, etc" threads will be fun to look back on in five years.

Exactly.

Always the case with the big ticket Apple products - the naysayers come out in force. It's strange, a company with Apple's track record of success and time and time again people doubt them (more interesting would be how many of the doubters purchase the item that's going to fail).

And your username is perfect for your response. :)

RayDonovan

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
I am a huge apple fan and always the first to stick up for them and their products.

But this time, i just don't see it. I was one of the first to own a pebble which i wore for about a week and then never wore again because getting notifications on your wrist is just not something i really NEED or care about very much and it took for me to actually buy one to realise that.

What i DO care about is my health. I expected the Applewatch to wow us with an amazing array of sensors to track all sorts of bodily functions and give a true indication of our overall health. Instead, it has a heart rate sensor (Oh WOW) and an activity monitor. REALLY? That's it? With all the billions of dollars in R&D that is the best they could come up with? All the other features just seem gimmicky to me. They seem to have taken a page out of samsung's book. I can't speak for other people but I will NEVER be typing emails or responding to texts from my wrist. That is just ridiculous and you WILL look ridiculous doing it. I really do think this product is going to flop. I hope they prove me wrong but it does absolutely nothing special. Design and craftsmanship will only get you so far.

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
Slamming someone for "mainstream" is the fastest way in the book to say hey guys I have no idea what I'm talking about so don't listen to me!

Thanks for that notice, I can disgregard your future posts now.

Well, have some Swiss chocolate now. They say its gorgeous.

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
Wow, a personal attack. And who has confidence problems?

Actually, it was a remark on your collection of Swiss sun clocks, but you can always refuse to learn a thing about their oversizing. Danes for instance, make watches for timekeeping, though that may not be something you aim for when buying one.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
ugly, bulky, expensive, and does nothing. To all that say people buy expensive watches, yup, they do, and 30 years later they are still working.

1 year later this watch will have half the battery life. 2 years later it's model will be outdated. 3 years later its ios won't be supported. I'm eager to say it'll flop but there are a bunch of idiots out there that'll buy. I think it'll do decent but far less then what Apple hoped.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Is he a rock star now?

That is soon sig-able - made me laugh. :D

Otherwise; I'll read up on this later. iOS8 has been an atrocious release, not only in form but technically.

Bendgate is proof that the good ole' Jobs perfectionism has left the building - I hope Apple learn from these mistakes, cut the crap with creating *new* things and focus on what makes Apple, Apple & so great; stability, quality and performance.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
No back to you. Yes, there are multiple meanings to the word, but they are not necessarily interchangeable as you want to make it in this case. The poster clearly used "novelty," as in a novelty item, not a new idea, or experience. He was using the word in is most derogatory meaning. A novelty item is a fad item that has not real use other than itself; i.e. a toy or bauble.

Nice try though.

You dictate what another poster meant, do you? Interesting technique, you must win a lot of arguments that way.

----------

I think you mean pray.

If owners were preying for an update, it would mean that they were stalking Apple developers in parking garages.

That's what I was doing, weren't you?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.