Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I don't think the question is "is he a rockstar". It is " have his designs cured cancer or poverty?" because if they haven't yet it sure seems like they will soon.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I do think the Apple Watch is going to flop. I just don't think there is going to be a wide adoption of folks who want to start wearing watches. I think it is going to be a bit too nerdy and awkward.

and. . .I'm going to be a bit creeped out if people start sending me their heartbeat. . . What am I supposed to think when that happens. :confused: New creeper threat vector IMO.

Unfortunately, I agree. Most people won't pay $350 for a watch, those that have the money probably have even more expensive watches, and that just leaves the tech crowed. Plus, technology is outdated so fast. I don't want my $350 watch to be obsolete and have 50% battery capacity in 18 months.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
It's been said a million times, but I do miss Steve's influence on the company. Ive and him made a great team. Things weren't always perfect, but it was exciting.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I still think the heartbeat thing is weird and kinda creepy...

It's the heart emoji/emoticon. The Apple Watch has interactive emoji (faces too). A minor communications gimmick. People who like emoji will use them. The rest of us won't. No biggie.

"It's fascinating how people struggled with wearing this incredibly powerful technology personally"

Seriously?

Obviously, yes. Read the article: timepieces took a long time to become portable, and then more time to move from the pocket to the wrist. A parallel to modern challenges. It took centuries to go from fixed devices (analogy: mainframes, then desktops) to the wristwatch (analogy: eventual replacement for pocket phones, for some people some of the time? Apple's not showing their hand yet!)

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Should my wife and I have the watch, it would be a very elegant way to say "I'm thinking of you" or "I love you" throughout the day or when apart.

It's not how it looks like, darling. I'm still thinking of you when I do her.
The problem is just that - from what we know now - you couldn't tell your wife anything with that iWatch.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
He's not rocking the Apple Watch because it'll run out of battery before the interview is done :D

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
pfff...he's fooling no one but himself. Big fan of Apple, but I have huge doubts about the :apple:Watch.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
The heartbeat thing may be the biggest gimmick I've ever seen talked about by someone that high up in the company. It's *absolutely* useless, and no one will care. Why mention it?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The problem is just that - from what we know now - you couldn't tell your wife anything with that iWatch.

It has tons of communication methods and features, tailored to quick use on a small screen.

- AI-generated multiple-choice quick text responses
- Dictated text
- "Walkie-talkie" voice clips
- Watch-phone
- Interactive emoticons (heart, smiley)
- Quick doodles/gestures/symbols
- Location sharing
- Silent, invisible tap gestures (less intrusive than any long-distance communication yet devised?)
- Whatever 3rd parties come up with

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Meh, too much of a novelty, big Apple fan but I don't have much interest.

Cheap word and incorrect usage. A novelty has zero utility other that its amusement factor. The Apple Watch and similar have extensive functionality to enhance efficiency of recurring daily events in addition to health features which can be harnessed in both the medical profession and individually.

Whether its design and practicality interests you personally or consumers broadly is a separate issue. But its wrong to suggest its a mere toy.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Should my wife and I have the watch, it would be a very elegant way to say "I'm thinking of you" or "I love you" throughout the day or when apart.

That said, texting one of those is doing me well for now. Oh ya, and I'm not in a position to shell out an additional $700 to make texting more convenient.

Starts at $350, so maybe $700 won't be necessary. I agree that it might be kind of new and romantic to send a heartbeat. I could send a lot fewer heart emojis and a lot more actual heartbeats to my SO. I wouldn't use the heartbeat in the way that it was used during the unveiling, though. I wouldn't send my heartbeat in response to food... it would kind of diminish the value of my heartbeat and suggest that I'm intimate with food or something.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
These "Apple Watch will flop, it's pointless, etc" threads will be fun to look back on in five years.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The heartbeat thing may be the biggest gimmick I've ever seen talked about by someone that high up in the company. It's *absolutely* useless, and no one will care. Why mention it?

Yes, I couldn't believe they spent so much time on it during the keynote and are still talking it up. you are introducing a new product line and trying to explain why people should want it and THIS is what you are pushing?! seriously?!

DocStone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Republic of Texas
Unfortunately, I agree. Most people won't pay $350 for a watch, those that have the money probably have even more expensive watches, and that just leaves the tech crowed. Plus, technology is outdated so fast. I don't want my $350 watch to be obsolete and have 50% battery capacity in 18 months.

Exactly my thoughts. I love watches. I have a broad selection of watches from cheap to expensive. Invicta,Tag, Breitling, Omega & a crappy Rolex that does not keep time very well. The apple watch seems interesting but I echo your thoughts about it being obsolete in a short time. One of my favorite watches was my fathers that is over 50 years old.

Personally I just think it is a bit silly to market it as a serious timepiece. It's not for me.

For those who enjoy the tech, I hope you enjoy it. :)

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I do think the Apple Watch is going to flop. I just don't think there is going to be a wide adoption of folks who want to start wearing watches. I think it is going to be a bit too nerdy and awkward.

I think it's gonna be a popular fad for a year and then once the hype wears off, the value proposition of paying $1000 for a watch with a one year shelf life is gonna show itself

I want Apple to prove me wrong though

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Despite their efforts, I don't see the fashion world becoming enamored with the Apple Watch. Watch enthusiasts are very particular and loyal, and I don't see them giving up their expensive watches for a new, untested gadget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.