Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I was actually very disappointed with the Apple watch. I had expected that they would "Think Different" and give us a wrist worn computing device that did things that we hadn't even though of.

Instead they spent all this effort studying the history of watches and all that crap. I'm sorry, but moving from losing 1 second a month to being within milliseconds is meaningless to me.

I don't wear a watch and I won't wear an Apple watch until it does something compelling. Plus, if I want to track a run, I still have to carry my phone with me to get GPS.

I have had almost every gen 1 product, but not the watch. This is the first time I really feel like they lost their way without Steve Jobs to provide a vision.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
These "Apple Watch will flop, it's pointless, etc" threads will be fun to look back on in five years.

Yeah as much as these "the ipad is the minimum screen size", "3.5 inches is the bestsize for a phone" and "nobody will ever buy those big phones" thread/interview.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I still don't understand the appeal of the Apple Watch...

I mean, what feature does it offer that gets you excited? Transmitting heartbeats? Everything that it can do can be done better and faster using a cell phone. It doesn't change or improve the way you view/interact with your immediate environment, and I think that's the most damning condemnation. Even as a fashion accessory, it's conceptually flawed. You cannot market something as unique and personal when your business plan is predicated on selling millions of units.

I just fail to see what advantage the Apple Watch offers over a traditional cell phone and standard wrist watch. I don't particularly enjoy watching Apple fail, but I really can't imagine this ending any other way.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
The fact that they are pushing this as a fashion piece is a turn-off. It also lets you know what their take on the demographics of Apple gear users are. No longer is the focus on "Think Different". People are trying to fit in.

Because they know very well that it's not a great tech product, they're not idiots.

But smart watches are a new trend and Cook needed a new product.

So they decided the ONLY way to sell this crap is by heavily advertising it to the superficial fashion scene - Vogue readers - Paris Fashion Week visitors.

People who desperately try to look like someone they're not.

It's not about tech anymore. That's the new Apple.

And I think it's gross.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Because they know very well that it's not a great tech product, they're not idiots.

But smart watches are a new trend and Cook needed a new product.

So they decided the ONLY way to sell this crap is by heavily advertising it to the superficial fashion scene - Vogue readers - Paris Fashion Week visitors.

People who desperately try to look like someone their not.

It's not about tech anymore. That's the new Apple.

And I think it's gross.

Sorry but what a ridiculous comment.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They're really trying to force this on the fashion crowd.

Who else is going to buy the "exclusive" Apple Edition version, which not coincidentally, will be in a "Vogue" high fashion price range. At 18k gold it's not going to be priced less than $2K.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
The heartbeat thing may be the biggest gimmick I've ever seen talked about by someone that high up in the company. It's *absolutely* useless, and no one will care. Why mention it?

Yeah, they make such a big deal about this...
I really don't care to feel someone's heart beat
(doesn't everyone's heart beat)

Transfering the hearbeat is very strange idea

I disagree whole-"heartedly". Our university has an app that does some amazing things, from tracking all the buses and routes on campus and around town to letting students register for courses. And what's the feature that's most talked about and lauded? A last minute gimmick we threw in that allows people to shake their phones at sporting events and emulates keys shaking (noise and visual).

It's often the weird/quirky/nuanced/marquee features that are the "heart" and soul of a product.

(Sorry for the terrible puns, they were initially unintentional.)

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's the heart emoji/emoticon. The Apple Watch has interactive emoji (faces too). A minor communications gimmick. People who like emoji will use them. The rest of us won't. No biggie.

Obviously, yes. Read the article: timepieces took a long time to become portable, and then more time to move from the pocket to the wrist. A parallel to modern challenges. It took centuries to go from fixed devices (analogy: mainframes, then desktops) to the wristwatch (analogy: eventual replacement for pocket phones, for some people some of the time? Apple's not showing their hand yet!)

Obviously, no. Was it really a "struggle?" How do you even qualify that.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
When the new iMac comes out I want a button on the desktop which when clicked vaporises this total banker.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I do think the Apple Watch is going to flop. I just don't think there is going to be a wide adoption of folks who want to start wearing watches. I think it is going to be a bit too nerdy and awkward.
I also don't want to wear a watch. But I want a device on my wrist which gives me information from my smartphone and lets me control it while it is in my pocket or backpack.

and. . .I'm going to be a bit creeped out if people start sending me their heartbeat. . .
You will not have an Apple Watch, so nobody will send it to you.
What am I supposed to think when that happens. :confused: New creeper threat vector IMO.
You're supposed to think: "Who put an Apple Watch on my wrist without me noticing?!?"

I think in general, people will only send their heartbeat to people where it is appropriate. Someone can also call you and moan into the phone, or make cat noises, or burp, or fart. I suspect very few of these things are happening.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
If it's not waterproof (which indications claim it is not), it's a very big misstep.

I won't buy on that alone.
You can't please everyone on a watch, that is why there are millions of variety's to choose from. (2) sizes cannot and will not fit all.

LoggerMN

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Everything is thin enough

World to Ive,

With the exception of the clunky Apple Watch, everything is thin enough already. And the iMac is too thin, it's desktop computer for god's sakes.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
These "Apple Watch will flop, it's pointless, etc" threads will be fun to look back on in five years.

I think one of the things that will hinder adoption is that an iPhone is good enough. The iPhone will fit most users needs just fine.

You can spend $350 to enhance your tech capabilities, but in the end, I see the watch taking the path of another Apple hobby device. In a few years we will have the sales numbers and can make the call as to whether this is a revolutionary market changing device or just a niche item.

I see most people just saying meh, I have an iPhone, I'd rather take the $350 and get a new Xbox or something.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Unfortunately, I agree. Most people won't pay $350 for a watch, those that have the money probably have even more expensive watches, and that just leaves the tech crowed.
I have the money and don't own an expensive watch (or any watch at all for that matter). I think Apple made a mistake marketing this as a watch. Now everyone goes "Who needs a watch? I don't have a watch. I don't want a watch. Why a watch?" The watch functionality makes up 1% of the actual useful functionality of that device.

I am also not a part of the tech crowd anymore. I don't have time for pointless gadgets. But I have money for gadgets that save me time or make my life easier.
Plus, technology is outdated so fast. I don't want my $350 watch to be obsolete and have 50% battery capacity in 18 months.
But you're fine with your $1000 smartphone being obsolete and having 50% battery capacity in 18 months? ;)

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
The heartbeat thing may be the biggest gimmick I've ever seen talked about by someone that high up in the company. It's *absolutely* useless, and no one will care. Why mention it?
Confusing "I don't care" with "Nobody will care" is a potential symptom either of megalomania or of Asperger syndrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.