Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Too bad. Now Samsung will have to get this money back by charging Apple more for components which is reasonable as this fine is considered an integral part of "the cost of business".

More like Samsung is going to cut a deal with Apple to give them a huge discount instead of a lump sum payout. Calm down dude, whatever jump components may see, my stock is going to see bigger revenue.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Yes for a fair trial, they should of chosen a neutral venue. Somewhere in Europe. But of course Apple just wanted to win. I can't believe you can patent generic shapes and colours. Rounded corners and green phone icons...
Repeating Samsung name calling.

Look at Samsung's 130 page presentation detailing all the nuances of the iPhone UI and how superior it is to Samsung's UI and instructing how to copy it.

It is not rounded corners. Don't fall for the name calling.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Too bad. Now Samsung will have to get this money back by charging Apple more for components which is reasonable as this fine is considered an integral part of "the cost of business".

Let me think about this. Does Samsung have a monopoly on these components? If not, then they can't just increase prices, because they don't have a monopoly and Apple buys elsewhere if Samsung wants to charge too much. If yes, then they can't just increase prices, because they would be abusing their monopoly and would certainly get a much higher fine.

Any other great ideas?

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
My reaction:

1345850091689.gif

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
samsung is basically bankrupt now

Yes they are. And that's why there won't be any iPhone 5 for Samsung won't be able to produce all those components (including the processor) that Apple needs to produce the phone.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Another overexcited and underinformed Apple fan. Samsung has order of magnitude more patents than Apple. Not a single court outside US has awarded anything to Apple in its patent war against Android (and Nokia to that matter) so far.

However, the German court did make Samsung put that stupid border around the Galaxy Tab. That said, they have also ruled for Motorola against Apple on some occasions.

The name of the game right now seems to be to win some cases to gain leverage, since you are bound to lose cases along the way, too.

iSengKin

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
If Steve Jobs were here, he would be inviting all his Apple fans for his open house party to celebrate his company's victory over Samsung! :D

Steve, know that we are grateful and still supportive towards your company. :)

Samsung gained no victory. At the same time, lost more than 1 billion dollars to Apple! >:)

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
This is about hurting Android as a whole, not just Samsung. This decision will affect Android going forward across the map, to varying degrees.

This is about stopping blatant copying. Where Android has copied, it should be reined in. It naturally has over time. But Samsung took it way over the top copying even aspects that weren't good.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
i think you took the total then added the devices that made up that total. :eek:

Nah - looks like CNET reported the figures wrong.

Not sure the payout is that important though. The Samsung claims being thrown out and the Apple technical patents being upheld would appear far more damaging to both Samsung and the Android platform.

Samsung have now got nothing to threaten Apple with, whilst Apple have got some powerful patents to attack Samsung and the Android platform with.

Gandir

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Look at where they are: in South Korea. The asian companies, oddly enough, need to start being truly and fully creative, but copying is in their history. That's what they've done since the end of the Second World War. By the way, our industry would explode if our patents weren't enforceable. This is the whole way our industry has positioned itself -- not so wisely, either: they have all the factories and industrial production, and we're the control booth. All US industry has, as we're currently organized, are the patents and trademarks. I'd gladly change the patents if we brought some manufacturing capabilities back to the U.S.

Do you know that US software patents are only legal in the US? They are not protecting the USA. In the end its a big threat to the USA nothing else, what do you think ruling like this will do?

If this get further than this, what foreign company do you think will operate in the USA? What do you think it will do with all the factories that makes the cheap Iphone you like to buy or the cheap computers you want to buy?

What do you think if Samsung, Sony, LG and other world leading tech companies leave the USA because they se no way to do fair trade in the US? What do you think will happen, where would you get your cheap tech from, who will build it for you?

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
OK, we've just gotten clarification from the courthouse. Total damages assessed against Samsung: $1.05 billion

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Please sir or miss tell me of one invention that apple have done they self and not stolen.

If this will be the end ruling after higher instances have been over the case, then apple is in for a big ball of hurt.

They did not invent the trackpad, the mouse, the windows style operation system. They did not invent the laptop they did not invent well I can see anything that is apple specific and apple invented they have just done what all other makers have done copied form people that figured stuff out for a long long time ago.

When it comes to functions like pinch to zoom or double tap its software routines that have been around long before the iphone, long before long before.

But what do I care, does not matter that much tho since a ruling like this will give you apple in the USA and nothing else what so ever. While we people in Europe or should I say the Old World that George W Bush was quite found of saying. Will have free companies that can compete and flourish without stupid software patents that should not have been awarded in the first time.

It must hurt to be a Samsung/android fan but you must be blind not to see how Samsung devices look so much like apple. And coincidentally their new store in Sydney even the colleagues resembled a Apple store. They deserve it. I like competition but not a knock off.

belsokar

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2005
Well like this is a surprise being an American court :rolleyes: but well done on proclaiming that you CAN patent a square with rounded corners, you have just given a green light for Apple to ban everyone else form the market place and charge even more for it's products.
Thanks court! Your the best!!! :mad::apple::mad:

Funny how the rest of the world's courts see things differently....

It just means everyone will have to pay to use something invented by (or first patented by) Apple...again, it's all about competition, and apple spends alot of money on R&D so that they can stay ahead of their competition...so now all that money invested is protected, and when someone else uses something they implemented and patented, they get rightfully compensated, thus helping them keep a competitive edge in price...

Samsung has used price (cheap phones) plus copying Apple to get users onboard...they could do that because they never invested in the intellectual property design and implementation...this allowed them to undercut apple's prices, while putting out a product that they could claim was "just as good as" the iPhone...and this is what it all comes down to at the end of the day...a customer walks into a store, and wants to save $99, and the salesman says "Look at this, work and looks just like an iPhone, so why pay more for the iPhone???"...and that's essentially what this has been about...that's not fair competition...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.