Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
If Samsung copied the nickel, it come in three different size (the size of a quarter, the size of a half-dollar, and the size of a silver dollar), cost 4¢ retail, be constantly on sale somewhere for 3¢, made of plastic, require a compainion coin in order to spend fully, and banks would refuse to exchange it for newer samsung nickels a week later.

OK, that caused a literal LOL and now the people in the cubes near mine think I'm strange(r).

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
There are limits. The problem they're going to face is that once Samsung has been convicted of one crime, Apple can just say this in court: "they have patterns of doing this in the past, they were convicted and this is just another sign of a willful infringement".

The first time, Samsung probably can get away with it with a small fine. Next time, they can face 3x the usual costs if they were found to be doing it willfully.

Not to mention, the more success Samsung have, the more profits they generate, the more of that will be taken away from Samsung.

Spot-on, especially regarding willful infringement for newer products. Too many are just looking at today's picture/verdict. If Apple were to win an injunction based on its recent circuit court appeal win, newer devices from Samsung would be targeted. March 2014 will be here before you know it and today's verdict will be fresh in everyone's mind. Indeed, I can't see how Koh can deny injunctions going forward.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Samsung probably budgeted for Apple lawsuits in their Cost-Benefit analysis. They found a working formula and will continue to exploit it for short-term gains. Shamelessly.

That's why they should made Samsung pay much more until it hurts and stop stealing from others.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Very true if you count poorly implemented tilting movements and crashing as 'features'.

Or Wacom digitizer, ability to run three (or even more - I did not try more than three) apps simultaneously sharing the screen, or a great SAMOLED full HD display, or support for memory cards, or USB3, or support for WiFi ac, or the ability to show weather, stock etc. on the home screen dynamically (as opposed to the gimmicky putting them into Control Center)

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Once again, the patent at the center of this trial was invalidated by USPTO yesterday which automatically means that Samsung did not copy anything (which can't be copied legally)

Well you can say all you want. The fact is the fact or unless you are saying USA Jury are corrupted?

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
Who takes jury's order seriously. jury in united states agreed with Apple's copyright of rounded corner design. Enuff said

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Once again, the patent at the center of this trial was invalidated by USPTO yesterday which automatically means that Samsung did not copy anything (which can't be copied legally)

That ruling is far from final. Appeals will continue for years. That's why Samsung was so desperate for Koh to stay the case immediately. Would not have made any sense once the jury started deliberating. Apple will surely appeal and even though there's just a remote chance the invalidation ruling will be overturned, Apple has at least two appeals in its back pocket.

Siller7

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Why doesn't Apple just buy Samsung? :rolleyes:

:apple::apple: Samsung is a giant corporation

Subsidiaries
Samsung Electronics
Samsung Life Insurance
Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance
Samsung Heavy Industries
Samsung C&T
Samsung SDS
Samsung Techwin etc.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
There are limits. The problem they're going to face is that once Samsung has been convicted of one crime, Apple can just say this in court: "they have patterns of doing this in the past, they were convicted and this is just another sign of a willful infringement".

The first time, Samsung probably can get away with it with a small fine. Next time, they can face 3x the usual costs if they were found to be doing it willfully.

Not to mention, the more success Samsung have, the more profits they generate, the more of that will be taken away from Samsung.

Apple wants injunctions to stop infringement, not defacto licensing, which is what we have seen so far.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
He was probably upset that the consumer dare think:

1. Hey..., somebody can make a decent touch phone that works with App's cheaper [cheaper and multiple options] than Apple say they can.
2. Hey..., it uses an OS which is not controlled and restricted at times like something out of 1984.
3. Hey ..., it also has other features that Apple does not believe in and so want me to also dismiss, even if I think they are good ideas.
4. Hey..., I get a choice of handset sizes which do the same things, Apple don't do that (yet...)
5. And so on....

Apple appear to fear too much choice and competition.

They have been in control since the iPod and iTunes launched and seem to have forgot what competition looked like.

They are starting to sound like IBM and Microsoft when the pressure was on.

Samsung Troll Disclaimer: I have owned iPhones since 2007 and never owned a Samsung phone. However, I am not so far up Apples backside to know Samsung make good phones for whom who's requirements it meets.

Or you know, Samsung marketed against Apple and people who used Apple. They then used Apples designs to get customers. So you have people question their buying habits (oh im a sheep) and find that Samsung looks like an Apple company.

By the way, why a disclaimer? Be a man and say what you want and don't care about what others say, right?

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
That ruling is far from final. Appeals will continue for years. That's why Samsung was so desperate for Koh to stay the case immediately. Would not have made any sense once the jury started deliberating. Apple will surely appeal and even though there's just a remote chance the invalidation ruling will be overturned, Apple has at least two appeals in its back pocket.

Even before an appeal process begins, Apple still has 5 months to file a response to the action.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Even with this judgment, Samsung was still better off copying the iPhone. I bet in the end they make a LOT more than $1B. You have to figure that if they didn't copy Apple and went ahed wit the phone they were going to make they would not be in the cell phone business today.

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
Aside from being confusing, Schiller's comment makes Apple look weak.
Schiller's been straying off-message for the last couple years. I suspect Ahrendts was hired for "retail" on paper only, and internally will have a broader mandate that will, we can hope, either refine Schiller's performance or at least give him fewer opportunities to speak in public. Ahrendts is fiercely focused, one the best additions to the team in the last several years.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
"For Apple, this case has always been about more than patents and money,"

Really? Could have fooled me. Then decline the money, Apple. :rolleyes:
This should soothe Apple's butt-hurt feelings and hopefully goes towards the dev of a kick-ass iPhone 6! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.