Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
When first read this thread, I thought instantly of the OS X Server intro. Then I read that you said only 4/31 of them are dead...

Dude, you HAVE TO DO THIS!!

Go to 7:00

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Update Day 2

When first read this thread, I thought instantly of the OS X Server intro. Then I read that you said only 4/31 of them are dead...

Dude, you HAVE TO DO THIS!!

Go to 7:00

YouTube: video

This is very cool:). I would love to do this and instead of video playing i would Have music all in sync with each other so it would sound out of this world with 25+ iMac's:D There speakers are great! i am keeping a beat up one just to use as a jukebox. i don't know if i can do all 30 as i don't have a nuff Plugs:(.

(Update) So far all has been going good:) I found my Copy of OS 9 i got from ebay in 2009 that has been lost sence late 2010, and my Tiger Cd set i got from ebay Last summer still works even though the discs are very scratched:) I sadley found 4 iMacs that are going to fail soon so i won't make any thing off of those. I got 3 all done so far and i am testing the other ones out more. No Install issues yet:). More updates in a few Days:D

1.JPG This one i did a clean install of OS 9 because it only has 64Mb Ram.

2.JPG OS X 10.4 Installing on a 500Mhz Indigo.

3.JPG OS X Install Done and set to go.

4.JPG 350MHz Indigo Running Tiger a Little slow but useable.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
One thing you should look into is using a NetRestore image or just image a fully updated 10.4.11 image into each machine using FireWire.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
One thing you should look into is using a NetRestore image or just image a fully updated 10.4.11 image into each machine using FireWire.

I was also thinking of something like that but i don't have a firewire drive or have a wired network:( After i get a OS on all of them i will do updates:).
Come to think of it i may be able to use my PowerBook G4 with firewire as a External HD that can hold a updated image File?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
All you need is a FireWire cable. Set up iMac A as you want it, download CarbonCopyCloner to iMac A, startup iMac B in Target Disk Mode, connect the two iMacs, format iMac B's hard drive, use CarbonCopyCloner to image iMac A's hard drive onto iMac B's. Repeat process using iMac A and many other iMacs until all are done.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
All you need is a FireWire cable. Set up iMac A as you want it, download CarbonCopyCloner to iMac A, startup iMac B in Target Disk Mode, connect the two iMacs, format iMac B's hard drive, use CarbonCopyCloner to image iMac A's hard drive onto iMac B's. Repeat process using iMac A and many other iMacs until all are done.

Update iMac A first, so you don't have to update all of them.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Listen to Intell and Stroked, it will save you a ton of time and that's how the pro's do it.

I love what you're doing with this. It's a nice, inexpensive way to get experience and find out if you enjoy repairing computers and want to explore it further, while limiting your out of pocket expense.

I wouldn't get rid of the dead iMac's, those are the real ones you should get experience working on. Anyone with some basic technical ability can install ram and software, but working on parts, diagnosing what needs fixing, etc. is invaluable training.

Best of luck!

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny

Thanks for the tip:) I did this with my Powerbook G4 to My now sold iBook G4 your right it is easier i will update one iMac and use CarbonCopyCloner to do the rest that have FireWire Ports:D I know one sooner or later would have eat my Tiger cd's so this way i don't have to worry about that:)

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
I am surprised the EULA police haven't been here yet.

The iMacs did have one OS license per mac when new and they are now open so this some what takes that license spot. And for how much these OS X 10.4 discs cost me (Over $200) i should be able to put it on as many Macs as i want.:D

Hopefully you've copied those CDs to a hard drive so you can burn new images if you have to! It's not like they're easy to find any more.

I still have to make a backup, but i am now doing the installs the way Intell said so my discs are fine for now:)

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
The iMacs did have one OS license per mac when new and they are now open so this some what takes that license spot. And for how much these OS X 10.4 discs cost me (Over $200) i should be able to put it on as many Macs as i want.:D

I still have to make a backup, but i am now doing the installs the way Intell said so my discs are fine for now

But still make a backup before you use them again, just to be safe.

Just a few weeks ago I had an expensive graphic printing software disc come flying out of my brother's portable dvd drive, fly across the room, and shatter. Of course that was just after I thought, "Hey, I should make a back up of this disc in case anything ever happens to it," but I didn't. :)

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010

It was just a joke. I have lost count of how many times that I cloned Leopard from my Powermac to other G4s.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
It was just a joke. I have lost count of how many times that I cloned Leopard from my Powermac to other G4s.

You gave me a scare:D I thought you wear not jokeing:). So far the installs are going good except one iMac the flyback transformer went making a loud "POP" i was sitting right in front of it and i almost fell off my chair it scared me so bad:D but that works out ok being there is a faster iMac that needs ram and a HD.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I was thinking cluster computer, but that would be impractical with all the heat and power consumption of the CRTs. And a modern 8 core would blow it out of the water anyway.

Oh well.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I was thinking cluster computer, but that would be impractical with all the heat and power consumption of the CRTs. And a modern 8 core would blow it out of the water anyway.

Oh well.

Ahh, but could a modern 8 core signal planes flying overhead like an iMac array?

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Wow!!!

I may be getting me one for craigslist for free (ill have to walk about 3 miles pushing a bike with a iMac in its seat) TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Ill post an update if i get it.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I may be getting me one for craigslist for free (ill have to walk about 3 miles pushing a bike with a iMac in its seat) TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Ill post an update if i get it.

I would give you an eMac, just to see that.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Still no email, but I found 4 eMacs for 10 dollars each!!

Spend an extra $20 and get one of those kiddie carriers then you can hall all the computers you'd like :p

Seriously though, they're handy if you own no car..I used to haul my laundry to the laundry mat with one..

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Spend an extra $20 and get one of those kiddie carriers then you can hall all the computers you'd like :p

Seriously though, they're handy if you own no car..I used to haul my laundry to the laundry mat with one..

I KNOW!!! i totally need one, luckily, my dad is driving me there, plus, my bike recently got vandalized (slashed tires):mad: , and i dontnthink that a kiddie carrier can carry 200 lbs of cargo about 3 miles!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.