Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
They tend to fade to an ugly yellow if left in the sun or from a smoker's house.

I didn't consider that, but maybe there's someone out there that didn't end up using it and has it nicely wrapped up and waiting for me. That would be awesome.

Then my apple setup wold almost match. white iMac G5, iBook G4 and accompanying G3s, White iPhone 3GS...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The later white keyboards with the tooth-like keys don't fade. That the model that first introduced Bluetooth to the keyboard/mouse lineup. I think you can reverse the fading with a formula similar to retr0bright.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
WOW
just a few days ago i saw a thread of someone getting like 20 or so assorted Powermacs for $40, and now this!!!
(ಥ﹏ಥ)

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
The plastic underneath the keys is different than that the keys are made out of. The keys rarely, if ever, yellow.

BTW, the Apple keyboard after the white Pro keyboard (the 2003 model) can actually yellow under very rare circumstances. I have seen it on about three occasions; while extremely rare, the yellowing is VERY nasty... The white Apple Pro keyboards previous to these do yellow, as you said. In fact, they easily do so. I have two of them, and one has yellowed keys and bezel underneath, while the other just has a yellowed bezel underneath.

----------

the ibookguy made a video on removing yellowing from old apple computers. Check it out if you need it.

I used his method on my white Apple Pro keyboard, and the yellowing came back full-force within a short amount of time. There have been other reports of the yellowing returning. One of the first public reports was an article about Retr0bright and yellowing returning; I don't know whether or not this guy's solution was home-made... if it was with the actual Retr0bright product, it really raises eyebrows. In fact, all of this does. When things become too good to be true...

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
BTW, the Apple keyboard after the white Pro keyboard (the 2003 model) can actually yellow under very rare circumstances. I have seen it on about three occasions; while extremely rare, the yellowing is VERY nasty... The white Apple Pro keyboards previous to these do yellow, as you said. In fact, they easily do so. I have two of them, and one has yellowed keys and bezel underneath, while the other just has a yellowed bezel underneath.

----------

I used his method on my white Apple Pro keyboard, and the yellowing came back full-force within a short amount of time. There have been other reports of the yellowing returning. One of the first public reports was an article about Retr0bright and yellowing returning; I don't know whether or not this guy's solution was home-made... if it was with the actual Retr0bright product, it really raises eyebrows. In fact, all of this does. When things become too good to be true...
I seem to recall that he used some sort of gel from a local hair dresser of his, he said in the video that the official brightener was too expensive for him. Just yesterday he posted a video of removing UV rays from his "museum" of old computers, perhaps UV rays are responsible for the reappearing yellowing. Which method did you use?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I seem to recall that he used some sort of gel from a local hair dresser of his, he said in the video that the official brightener was too expensive for him. Just yesterday he posted a video of removing UV rays from his "museum" of old computers, perhaps UV rays are responsible for the reappearing yellowing. Which method did you use?

Hmm, I will have to check out that video. I used his exact method, BTW.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

I don't think he needed to cover his fluorescent tubes in UV filtering cases, because the fluorescent tubes already filter out UV light (unless they are very cheap ones).

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
times have certainly changed :eek::eek::eek::eek:

i noticed that your signature mentioned the MacRumors IRC. Does anyone still use it, and if so, how do I connect to it? I tried to use Colloquy to connect, but idk if I'm doing it right. I would love to be in a chat-room to discuss apple stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.