Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyflyguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
I have Verizon, unlimited, hotspot, used 70GB last month. I dont use netflix. Just browsing youtube, etc. Fast connection, unlimited data uses a lot of GB.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I use this much per month or more. Mostly streaming with my Slingbox.

Wow, do you have any sort of social life or life off your phone in general? Yikes! You should find a hobby outside of your phone. :eek:

----------

I have Verizon, unlimited, hotspot, used 70GB last month. I dont use netflix. Just browsing youtube, etc. Fast connection, unlimited data uses a lot of GB.

Again, what kind of social life do you have? Do you ever put your phone down?

----------

This thread makes me sad. The most I ever used in a month was 13GB. I felt like that was way too much.

No wonder people are so fat and out of shape in this country (the USA). People can't seem to put their phones down and go do something active.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Mine lies somewhere between 500mb -> 3.5 GB per month, depending on how much streaming i do. I use my phone a lot, but also have wifi access at most places where I use my phone (home & work).

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Mine lies somewhere between 500mb -> 3.5 GB per month, depending on how much streaming i do. I use my phone a lot, but also have wifi access at most places where I use my phone (home & work).

Wow these usages are amazing to me 50GB? No matter how much I try I can't use more than 12-15GB/month.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I consistently use over 50gb a month. Pure lte. Podcasts. YouTube. I heart radio. Watchespn. Blue jeans video calls. Adds up fast. But no worries. T-Mobile has a sweetheart deal. No need for wifi scramble. Thanks T-Mobile!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Well technically it is all unlimited but they throttle you to 64kbs after a certain amount depending on your plan. I would say the average gets 500mb a month. Now that they make less and less money with text messages it is getting worse and worse. I guess 64kbs was still fast enough for whatsapp and what not so now they start to throttle down to 32kbs on some plans for the rest of the month. U used to be able to pay like 5€ to "reset" your data to whatever your plan includes like let's say your plan included 2gb before u get throttled and u py 5€ within the month u would get another 2gb but now they have changed it and u just get another 200mb for 5€ no matter what plan ur at

I have found that data add ons are still better priced in the EU/UK than here in there US if you are a moderate user. How much is 2GB of data?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I have found that data add ons are still better priced in the EU/UK than here in there US if you are a moderate user. How much is 2GB of data?

in Spain it's fairly cheap like 9€ for a GB and u just recharge your card as needed. In Germany however it's more expensive cuz they always force you to get sms etc which no one uses as well. 500 mb plans r still fairly common. 1GB is about 13€ but not as easy to do as in Spain.

I consistently use over 50gb a month. Pure lte. Podcasts. YouTube. I heart radio. Watchespn. Blue jeans video calls. Adds up fast. But no worries. T-Mobile has a sweetheart deal. No need for wifi scramble. Thanks T-Mobile!

omg when I tell people I can use 3GB of data before I get throttled to 64kbs a month they look at me like I am from the very distante future. can't image having 10GB let alone 50GB at my disposal. and this is on TMobile in Germany

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Around 7-8 gigs.

Anyone pushing 20+ gigs on the network is abusing the network, simple as that. Unlimited data is not a replacement for WiFi. There is no reason why someone should be streaming hours of Netflix or Slingbox over the air. This is exactly why unlimited plans are going away.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Wow, do you have any sort of social life or life off your phone in general? Yikes! You should find a hobby outside of your phone. :eek:

----------

Again, what kind of social life do you have? Do you ever put your phone down?

----------

This thread makes me sad. The most I ever used in a month was 13GB. I felt like that was way too much.

No wonder people are so fat and out of shape in this country (the USA). People can't seem to put their phones down and go do something active.

Meh.

If used as a hotspot (like mentioned) in place of broadband, especially if the person is a cord cutter that is actually a relatively small amount of data.

I use MUCH more then that on broadband and if I was any more active I'd have to quit my job.

EDIT: I just checked, I've used 266 gb this month and I was backpacking on the Appalachian Trail for 5 days of that. If I could get unlimited data I'd cancel my broadband and that usage would be cellular.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-30%20at%2010.47.06%20PM.png

Point is, data usage is a poor way of telling how physically active and in shape someone is or isn't.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Usually people that hate on us with unlimited data are jealous. I've got unlimited data on T-Mobile and I've got an att unlimited ipad plan. Usually do about 20-50 gigs a month. Never throttled.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
110 - 150 GB mobile data per month.

Data is so fast and cheap that it's replaced my home broadband

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Where did you get 50GB from? You actually use more data than me lol :D.

Another poster posted he uses 50GB a month. And I said I was amazed and that no matter how much I try I can't use more than 10-15GB a month.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Daily Netflix marathons will do it. :rolleyes:

I'll watch HBO Go sometimes to get caught up on episodes. But it's only to get caught up. I don't use my mobile device to watch movies primarily. I much prefer to watch on our 52 inch TV.

Are people using mobile data as their primary home internet maybe? Or do people really have the time to stream Netflix and use that much data?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Another poster posted he uses 50GB a month. And I said I was amazed and that no matter how much I try I can't use more than 10-15GB a month.

Im honestly baffled by some of these numbers. Who manages to get through 10's of GB's of data on their phone? Netflix? Seriously? Who watches netflix on a phone? Unless you live in a remote area, or are constantly out of reach of wifi and use your phone as your primary computing device, then this is probably achievable, however I can't imagine you get through so much data without draining your battery quickly suggesting you need to regularly charge your phone, so why not just use wifi if available.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Im honestly baffled by some of these numbers. Who manages to get through 10's of GB's of data on their phone? Netflix? Seriously? Who watches netflix on a phone? Unless you live in a remote area, or are constantly out of reach of wifi and use your phone as your primary computing device, then this is probably achievable, however I can't imagine you get through so much data without draining your battery quickly suggesting you need to regularly charge your phone, so why not just use wifi if available.

In my case, I have a job where I can stream TV but there's no wifi. My phone is plugged into my computer. Even if there was wifi, my LTE connection would be faster.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012

Well, my phone acts as a hotspot for my TV, tablet, Chromebook, other phones etc. Far faster than home broadband, it's easy to get through 100, 150GBs a month.

The most I used was around 400GB one month.

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
I just hit 12 gigs. I stream music everyday.

----------

Around 7-8 gigs.

Anyone pushing 20+ gigs on the network is abusing the network, simple as that. Unlimited data is not a replacement for WiFi. There is no reason why someone should be streaming hours of Netflix or Slingbox over the air. This is exactly why unlimited plans are going away.

Someone gave up their unlimited data plan and is upset!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I have unlimited data and some days when I actually have to sit at a desk I stream one of the news networks while my phone is plugged in. A day of streaming could contribute to high data usage if done frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.