Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I've gotten a call before. I used to keep all kinds of things saved in my shopping cart and they called once to see if I wanted to buy them (kinda weird, but cool too). Seemed legit, as they asked for my mom first (the account is under her name) and knew everything in it :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And I'm assuming this is just for Americans.

How many Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMacs with 8GB of RAM + 30" screens am I gonna have to put into my cart for Steve to call me personally in Australia!! ;)

Rangerhall6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
South Carolina
Macmaniac said:
It looks like Apple is out trolling for laptop customers, this is indeed a very good sign of an coming iBook update, all signs seem to be pointing towards one. Did you have items in your cart at apple.com/store? or was this just a sales call out of nowhere?
I did have an iBook in my cart at Apple.com for a while but i took it out about 2 weeks ago. I guess thats why they called but it still seems pretty cool to me and it makes me think that an update is coming soon.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Abstract said:
And I'm assuming this is just for Americans. How many Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMacs with 8GB of RAM + 30" screens am I gonna have to put into my cart for Steve to call me personally in Australia!! ;)
I've got 27 of them in there, and no call so far.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
cjc343 said:
$5 million+ in my cart... waiting for a call :D

Maybe they'll be willing to send me a few "samples" before I purchase 450 maxed-out G5s and 2 displays for each... (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)

thought that was funny enough to try my hand at it.

up to exactly $29,344,626.00

If I were a rich man...

lol.JPG

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Maybe if I add 2,000 iPods to my cart, Steve Jobs will personally call me. I know Apple wants to get rid of that overstock of iPods!

agent229

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
haha i just got one today because i put a hypothetical iBook in my cart and left it there. it creeped me out at first too and i totally assumed it was a scam! the guy asked for my email and i just said "i already put it in on your website" and basically hung up, but lo and behold he emailed me right away so i guess it was legit ;) . he was realllllllllly pushing me to make the purchase asap... and offering me some printer rebate... and the extra $100 student rebate and such. i really hope that means they're updating soon! i actually asked him haha. he asked why i wanted to wait and i said to wait for an upgrade, so he tried to convince me that they upgraded everything 6 weeks ago (i guess he meant putting Tiger on there?) and then i just flat out asked if there was an upgrade coming soon (i can pretend i don't know they're ultra-secretive, right?) and he said "we haven't heard anything about that." darn. but still... the pressure to buy, and buy soon, seemed pretty interesting... he also asked me what else i was looking at, and seemed really interested in whether i was favoring a powerbook instead. which i'm not. as soon as i told him i was just looking at other pc laptops first he didn't seem to care... so i don't know how that should be interpreted either.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
mrzeve said:
They called my cell twice in one day.

The first time they left a message and then they called back 10 min later.

Wanted to sell me apple care for my mac mini.

Told them there care sucked and to kindly stop calling me.

This is the first I've heard anything negative about apple care. Could you elaborate? I'm anticipating buying my first mac in the next month or so, and until now I took it as a given that I should buy the care with it.

ps.: I know this is off the subject of the main thread; could someone illuminate me as to how I should go about posting responses that are off the subject in the future?

Foniks Munkee

macrumors member
May 15, 2005
Apple care is actually pretty dodgy. The average end user wouldn't see it, but if the problems my friend who worked as a certified apple tech, for an apple store are any indication - its not awesome.

Not directly related to the care, but to give you some idea of how their service works (at least in Australia): In many cases they had to take logic boards and other components from DOA machines to replace parts because Apple wouldn't authorise a replacement.

A good example is they will not authorise more than one replacement part for a machine within a period of a week. Yet they knowingly sold logic boards with dry solder joints for some months (forget which machine this is, but I think it was the eMac from 2 years ago, possibly the powerbook). The average failure rate was pretty high, but not high enough to do a recall. It wasn't uncommon for this problem to show up in conjunction with other problems and thus the fights with apple service started.

Its just lucky for a lot of users that apple ships quite a few DOA machines or they wouldn't have been fixed in anything like reasonable time. The secret is in a term called "stitching", because every apple has a serial number, the DOA machines would have the part salvaged, they would claim that the part was from a legit machine get a replacement sent out and install it. Because the serial came from another machine it wouldn't alert apple service.

Apple hardware is great and all, but only if you don't get a dud.

[edit]
and until now I took it as a given that I should buy the care with it.
You should still buy apple care! Despite apples issues, you do have a contract with them that they have to honor with regards to the warranty on your machine. The other think my friend pointed out is that he was doing 85-90 service jobs a month, and a large portion of those occured within months of the warranty expiring. This did not include jobs that were not completed because the cost was prohibitive. He used to get at least a dozen a week were the cost of replacement for a logic board was about the same as a new eMac (probably the mac mini these days) - and thus the customer would forgoe the repair and buy a new machine.

Don't do without it - it will bite you. Just be aware of your rights, read your contract and make sure you don't ding your machine. That will be the first thing they jump on as the cause!

HELLFISH

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2004
I had PowerMac G5 placed in the online cart at the apple store a few weeks ago. Apple called last week to see if he could "finish out this order for you". I told him I was waiting for the Intel switch and he wanted to know why. :eek:

The sales folks are probably being pushed pretty damn hard these days... I would think the Intel announcement pretty much killed off sales for the remainder of the year.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MontyZ said:
My cart is full, but still no call from Apple yet.

It doesn't always happen the same day. Just be patient.

I've received two phone calls from Apple. One was for a PowerBook, which was a couple years ago. Recently it was on a refub iMac G5.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
I´ve had an eMac in the cart at Apple Italy for 10 days and I was hoping they would call me to give me some incentive to complete the order, but Apple hasn´t called yet and I guess they won´t.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
wordmunger said:
I don't understand why everyone wants a call. If you want to talk to them, give them a call. It's a toll-free number!
It's not the same as Apple calling you. Some of us have such low self-esteem that a call from Apple would lift our spirits for at least a week. After a week, we can go back and put more stuff in our cart and wait for Apple to call again so we can feel happy again.

It's retail therapy without actually buying anything!!

;)

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i put an ibook in my shopping basket yesterday
today got a call from apple-was eating at the time so i didn't get a chance to talk to them
this looks pretty good for a new ibook soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.