Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Femme

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Has anyone successfully tried exchanging their case due to the leather wear yet?

I've had my Product RED case for my 6 plus since September and the dye has really worn of on the edges. I mean it's pretty bad, it's almost starting to look black all around the front edge and sides. For the $52 I paid for the case, I can't say I'm too happy. I wish the silicone one was less stick, otherwise I'd definitely get that instead.

Please give an update if you ever try to return it or exchange! I've been on and off with the idea of getting a leather case and red is my first choice. I really want the red one but the discolouration is what's stopping me.

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Please give an update if you ever try to return it or exchange! I've been on and off with the idea of getting a leather case and red is my first choice. I really want the red one but the discolouration is what's stopping me.

I think I'll try this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes. But be warned, the discoloration on mine started like a month after I got it, and I'm pretty sure it's just from me sliding it in and out of my jeans' pocket. I don't think they'd be too happy if I tried to exchange it every month lol.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I exchanged my red one twice without issues. I gave up and ended up with a black one which I haven't even opened.

With times it was over a month old.

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Here's how mine looks now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425667514.492112.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425667530.658035.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425667541.527746.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425667553.541659.jpg

echofree

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
Just went for the In store pick up for a red leather one, going to pick it up the same time as my space grey 6+ :)

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Does anyone puts lotion or conditioner on their leather cases?

I thought that was meant for shoes, bags and purses, but seems odd using it on iphone cases.

Does Apple have something to say about that? Weren't the cases originally designed to wear?

I got a brand-new leather case after I left my old on an invisible water spot from a soda can (left a stain that's noticeable), so now I wonder if I should use leather products on my case or just being more careful in the future would do it.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Does anyone puts lotion or conditioner on their leather cases?

I thought that was meant for shoes, bags and purses, but seems odd using it on iphone cases.

Does Apple have something to say about that? Weren't the cases originally designed to wear?

I got a brand-new leather case after I left my old on an invisible water spot from a soda can (left a stain that's noticeable), so now I wonder if I should use leather products on my case or just being more careful in the future would do it.

I used a Leather Cleaner on my case once but don't think I'll use it again as it just made it slightly slippery for awhile. However, I just wanted to try something other than water to get some of the gunk off the back.

I feel the wear is going to happen whether one uses a conditioner or not.

Also I guess one could try using a black shoe polish applied with a rag to try and fix something like a water mark?

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I used a Leather Cleaner on my case once but don't think I'll use it again as it just made it slightly slippery for awhile. However, I just wanted to try something other than water to get some of the gunk off the back.

I feel the wear is going to happen whether one uses a conditioner or not.

Also I guess one could try using a black shoe polish applied with a rag to try and fix something like a water mark?

Thanks. I think I'll leave it as is then.
Though since my case is brown I'd have to find an exact color match polish, which would be hard...:(

Anyway, you clean your leather case with water? How exactly you do it? As water completely ruined my case I'd be wary when using it for cleaning.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
I'm loving the black case, only had it for 2wks tho. Getting the brown one next. I wanted the midnight blue but it wears close to the black color so I just went with the black.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Though since my case is brown I'd have to find an exact color match polish, which would be hard...:(

Anyway, you clean your leather case with water? How exactly you do it? As water completely ruined my case I'd be wary when using it for cleaning.

Yea, the shoe polish trick would work best with black. For cleaning i have been just using a damp cloth or paper towel to remove whatever happens to be sticking to it and that's been working fine. Mind you it is basically spot cleaning and/or a quick wipe over and then I immediate dry it with a fresh paper towel.

Once I had something sticky and it decided to use rubbing alcohol but it also soaked up quite a bit of the leather coloring so I won't be doing that again. ;)

Ringside

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I use a leather lotion that cleans, protects and moisturizes the leather. It's wax free and doesn't make the case slick whatsoever. Also it doesn't darken the leather either, it actually makes it very soft and awesome feeling! I always moisturize my leather goods such as wallets, boxing gloves, coats, shoes etc. Have had the midnight blue since Nov 1st and it still looks like the day I got it. However, I don't use it all the time but I have gone through periods when I've used it a lot.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
I use a leather lotion that cleans, protects and moisturizes the leather. It's wax free and doesn't make the case slick whatsoever. Also it doesn't darken the leather either, it actually makes it very soft and awesome feeling! I always moisturize my leather goods such as wallets, boxing gloves, coats, shoes etc. Have had the midnight blue since Nov 1st and it still looks like the day I got it. However, I don't use it all the time but I have gone through periods when I've used it a lot.

Product name?

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Just got back from my local apple store, asked one of the apple sales people about their warranty, he said "yea, we do have some type of warranty on that, let me go check"......I assume he went to go speak to his manager which was standing near the accessories, so the sales rep came back and said "we can only do something if it's within the 14 day return period, but try to contact someone through apple.com as they might be able to help you out." I just said "ok, thanks" and left......so seems like they didn't wanna do diddly for me.

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Weird. These things have the usual 1 year warranty. The 14 days is for returns and exchanges.

Honestly it seemed like the employee was OK with it, but after he came back from talking to the manager, he had to change his mind. Freakin Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.