Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
The game released today for PC, but is coming soon for Mac. It's out on Steam as well.

Does anyone have experience with Civ on Steam? More importantly; if you purchase a windows version of Civ on Steam if and when the game releases Mac side on Steam do they allow access to it as well, or do you have to purchase again for the Steam Mac client of the game?

I was thinking about buying this as I'm a huge Civ fan, but really don't want to be switching to Windows every time I play it as Civ games tend to last me for years.

rtrueman

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Hi, my name is Rob and I'm a Civ 5 addict (HI ROB!!!). I can't stop playing this stupid game... I originally purchased through the app store, but re-purchased with all the extra content on Steam about two months ago. From Steam, I can load it on my Mac and PC. I just can't play them both at the same time.

I was waiting for the release of Civ BE and was disappointed to see that is was delayed for the Mac. I don't have a decent PC so I'll wait. Plus, is this just going to be Civ 5 in space? I hope there's "more", although I don't know what more is.

I'm still blown away by the complexity of Civ 5 with all the added content. There's so much going on! Love it.

Rob

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Does anyone have experience with Civ on Steam? More importantly; if you purchase a windows version of Civ on Steam if and when the game releases Mac side on Steam do they allow access to it as well, or do you have to purchase again for the Steam Mac client of the game?

Beyond Earth will be Steamplay when we release our version this holiday. One copy will give you access to all three platforms (Mac/PC/Linux).

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Blair. Can I ask a question about pricing. Who decides the prices and in particular the huge disparity between uk and European pricing. The game is a fair 29.99 in the uk but instead of being about 38 euro it is 49.99 which is a shocking disparity.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Beyond Earth will be Steamplay when we release our version this holiday. One copy will give you access to all three platforms (Mac/PC/Linux).

Sounds good. I may pick it up for PC then to hold me over until the Mac release since I won't have to buy it twice. Appreciate the info.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Sounds good. I may pick it up for PC then to hold me over until the Mac release since I won't have to buy it twice. Appreciate the info.

I should selfishly note that if you purchase the Windows version now, none of your hard earned money will go to the Mac developer...ahem...us ;)

But if you cant wait...dont feel bad! :apple:

----------

Blair. Can I ask a question about pricing. Who decides the prices and in particular the huge disparity between uk and European pricing. The game is a fair 29.99 in the uk but instead of being about 38 euro it is 49.99 which is a shocking disparity.

Pricing is set by 2K, and while we reserve the right to alter the Mac pricing, we have a policy of always being at parity with the PC.

We actually dont know why yet either. My colleague in the EU thinks its because the box is set at that price (which could have been a mistake) and its very hard to turn around the big ship of boxed distribution.

My job got a LOT more flexible when we finally did away with boxes last year.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I should selfishly note that if you purchase the Windows version now, none of your hard earned money will go to the Mac developer...ahem...us ;)

----------

Good enough of a reason to wait for me :) Besides I still play Civ 5 quite a bit, WoW has an expansion next month, Star Wars the Old Republic has an expansion in December, Destiny is still going strong, Smash Bros. on the WiiU and Halo Masterchief Collection are out soon. So plenty of games to hold me over. I'll wait so that you Mac developers get my $$$

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
Looking forward to this release but glad to pre-order on Game Agent (thanks for the 25% discount btw ��) so Aspyr get the cash. Loved and still loving Civ 5.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Good enough of a reason to wait for me :) Besides I still play Civ 5 quite a bit, WoW has an expansion next month, Star Wars the Old Republic has an expansion in December, Destiny is still going strong, Smash Bros. on the WiiU and Halo Masterchief Collection are out soon. So plenty of games to hold me over. I'll wait so that you Mac developers get my $$$

Looking forward to this release but glad to pre-order on Game Agent (thanks for the 25% discount btw ��) so Aspyr get the cash. Loved and still loving Civ 5.

Aw shucks! You guys are awesome! Thanks for the support!

Jovian, dont forget to purchase the game on GameAgent.com so that you can get the discount and the bonus DLC. Both perks will go away at launch.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

----------

Pricing is set by 2K, and while we reserve the right to alter the Mac pricing, we have a policy of always being at parity with the PC.

We actually dont know why yet either. My colleague in the EU thinks its because the box is set at that price (which could have been a mistake) and its very hard to turn around the big ship of boxed distribution.

cheers blair for the answer. its not just related to civ, football manager is one other game that always has a huge disparity in pricing between EU and uk on steam. the daft thing is for football manager its always cheaper for me to order from amazon, they make their cut, they stick it in the post to me, costs them a few quid to box it up and post to portugal, and i get it, open it, don't even touch the disc or the box except to type the reference into steam, and then download it from steam but ill have saved about 20 quid against just pressing buy on steam.

ill definitely buy it but ill wait til the mac version comes out and hopefully even a wee sale to bring the price down to what uk owners are paying now.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013

----------

simple, some importer is planning to install a swimming pool with the surplus. We are ALWAYS being charged MORE than a currency conversion. Reason? THEFT

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
simple, some importer is planning to install a swimming pool with the surplus. We are ALWAYS being charged MORE than a currency conversion. Reason? THEFT

:D

not always actually. i googled and theres a few sites that do constant comparisons, for example steam prices.com

for example the eidos anthology released today is 40 uk pounds, and in euros is 52 euro which is 41 pounds, so its not like its steam's set exchange rates. some games are cheaper in uk, some cheaper in europe and some cheaper in USA. Football manager 2015, like 2014 and 2013 when they first come out, is far more expensive in europe than anywhere else, this will stay the same past the first few times its discounted before christmas, and once its an old game, the price will be fair across regions.

i wonder if it would stand up to legal scrutiny if someone took steam to court for refusing to take a payment in the currency which is showing the cheapest price.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
:D

not always actually. i googled and theres a few sites that do constant comparisons, for example steam prices.com

for example the eidos anthology released today is 40 uk pounds, and in euros is 52 euro which is 41 pounds, so its not like its steam's set exchange rates. some games are cheaper in uk, some cheaper in europe and some cheaper in USA. Football manager 2015, like 2014 and 2013 when they first come out, is far more expensive in europe than anywhere else, this will stay the same past the first few times its discounted before christmas, and once its an old game, the price will be fair across regions.

i wonder if it would stand up to legal scrutiny if someone took steam to court for refusing to take a payment in the currency which is showing the cheapest price.

guess they'd nag about customs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.