Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hot girl at the bus stop, and the dumpy kid is checking out his own penis.
Haha, yea and she do have a resemblance to Megan Fox.

Btw, congrats on your first DSLR, enjoy learning to use it :D

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
DFox, I couldn't resist. Hope you don't mind...

Attachments

• 2949814445_38d87f3a0e_b.jpg
    2949814445_38d87f3a0e_b.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 99

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Eh not impressed. I don't see the point in spending more than 300 for a camera. Unless your a professional. For a consumer it's just to bulky and expensive. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Any of the photos taken in this thread so far could have been taken with any point and shoot, and that includes the HDR, which requires nothing more than Photoshop, or simple HDR software.

Please learn photography. Learning about your camera isn't going to help your photography more than good composition, interesting angles, and good timing. Photoshop won't help you with those things either.

you must not have learned photoshop then.

Sorry, but he was right. A bad photo can't be turned into a good photo, unless you're heavily manipulating it and are essentially creating something from scratch anyway.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
Any of the photos taken in this thread so far could have been taken with any point and shoot, and that includes the HDR, which requires nothing more than Photoshop, or simple HDR software.

Please learn photography. Learning about your camera isn't going to help your photography more than good composition, interesting angles, and good timing. Photoshop won't help you with those things either.

What, so if you can't take professional-quality photos, you shouldn't own a nice camera, in your opinion? How do you think a person learns and exceeds at things and becomes a pro? He said he JUST got the damn thing, so settle down. You act as though you're insulted by a non-pro having a DSLR. Guess what... he can do as he pleases and is allowed to practice before being perfect! :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice camera you have there, DFox. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots in the future, as I'd like to get a DSLR when I can afford it. Even besides the artistic possibilities with photography, a DSLR can simply yield such a superior image quality than your average consumer digital camera. Makes a significant difference when photographing horses, I can tell you - particularly when you have to zoom pretty far, because you can still retain the high quality.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Bad advice. Photoshop can't make crappy photos good.

this is great advice.
I've been masking my bad photos in photoshop for a while, and now that I'm doing film photography, it's shown me just how bad a photographer I am.

Learn the basic settings, like shutter speed, f-stop, ISO, ect and then you'll be able to play around with depth of field, ect.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What, so if you can't take professional-quality photos, you shouldn't own a nice camera, in your opinion? How do you think a person learns and exceeds at things and becomes a pro? He said he JUST got the damn thing, so settle down. You act as though you're insulted by a non-pro having a DSLR. Guess what... he can do as he pleases and is allowed to practice before being perfect! :rolleyes:

I certainly didn't mean that.

In these types of threads, there are some posts by some users who say, "You should learn about photo. First learn about..... [Insert terms for very basic ideas related to photography with no mention of what they actually are]. See what a DSLR can do!!! [Insert example images]". The examples are always shown to illustrate the "awesome-ness" and power of a DSLR, and what types of images a DSLR are capable of shooting. Of course, this insinuates that a typical point and shoot camera couldn't have been used to create the same photo, which is wrong in most cases.

All I said was that good composition is going to make for a better, more interesting photo, which a good camera can't just give you. You can own a nice camera if you want. Anyone can if they have the money. There's always a benefit in terms of image quality itself as a technical thing. The pixels are "better". However, to get good photos out of it, he still needs to know what he's doing.

Does that really sound so wrong? :confused:

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
Eh not impressed. I don't see the point in spending more than 300 for a camera. Unless your a professional. For a consumer it's just to bulky and expensive. :D
the d40 is not that big and pro's spend way more then 300usd on bodies and lenses. The best thing about dslr is the ablity to switch lenses; a top range dslr and a d40 aren't really that far apart.

jv-iphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
the d40 is not that big and pro's spend way more then 300usd on bodies and lenses. The best thing about dslr is the ablity to switch lenses; a top range dslr and a d40 aren't really that far apart.
Well the thing you get in the higher end series, is more autofocus points, live view, sensor cleaning,High signal-to-noise ratio, betteer color meetering, less shooting lag for faster shutter speed..so you are pretty wrong and saying they arent that far apart, there are big differences, just every photographer doesnt need features in the high end cameras.

To me I believe the photographer can make the picture great, photoshop can make a great picture better, or worse depending on the artist. Here is a shot I took of my niece no photoshop involved just a great shot.

Macey.jpg

jv-iphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Wow! That's fantastrc! Really fantastic!

Thanks, My father was a proffessional photographer, We had a darkroom in the house :D I learned alot of techniques you do in photoshop today in there (masking, dodge and burning etc.., the things he stressed to me was composition, you control where your subjects eye goes in the photo so that is one of the most important parts, exposure,lighting is really important as well however photoshop can help enhance or dull those areas.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
Well the thing you get in the higher end series, is more autofocus points, live view, sensor cleaning,High signal-to-noise ratio, betteer color meetering, less shooting lag for faster shutter speed..so you are pretty wrong and saying they arent that far apart, there are big differences, just every photographer doesnt need features in the high end cameras.

To me I believe the photographer can make the picture great, photoshop can make a great picture better, or worse depending on the artist. Here is a shot I took of my niece no photoshop involved just a great shot.

**img clip**

Yeah. There's a BIG difference between the D40/Rebel series and the D3/1Ds series cameras.

My wife shoots with a Nikon D300, 17-55/2.8, 50/1.8, and 105/2.8 Macro. And she's far from done. There's guys with THOUSANDS more dollars invested in it.

As far as Photoshop, yeah, it's great. But, too many people rely on it. Work your best to get the picture good in the camera, and use PS to tweak it -- not to make the picture.

Shoot in RAW/NEF is even better. Learn that and new doors will open wide like you've never expected.

Benefits of doing from a D40 to a D300?

Better High ISO Capabilities (Better in low light)
Faster Burst Mode
Studier Body/Build
And more... a lot more.

If you're going to get into it professionally, you've got to move up. And trust me, lenses never stop. :)

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I've been masking my bad photos in photoshop for a while, and now that I'm doing film photography, it's shown me just how bad a photographer I am.
Not true, but you're right about how shooting film helps a lot. That's why I started with an old, semi-manual camera. I wanted to learn from the ground up, without fancy technology doing the thinking for me.
Maybe this is the kind of practice the OP needs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.