Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
UK. 240V everything!

That's interesting. I assume you are familiar, but in the U.S. there are normally 2 phases of electric that comes into a house. If one is tapped, it's 120v. If two are used, it's 240v. I don't understand how a 240v motor works. I know that for 240v heating elements, a different phase of electricity is hooked to each end of an element and they butt heads in the middle... where I've seen this in practice is in baseboard heating.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If two are used, it's 240v. I don't understand how a 240v motor works. I know that for 240v heating elements, a different phase of electricity is hooked to each end of an element and they butt heads in the middle... where I've seen this in practice is in baseboard heating.

Not to be obtuse, but a 240 V motor works just like any other AC motor at another voltage. Three-phase motors are slightly different, but in principle a different voltage doesn't really change things except perhaps windings, etc. It sounds like you understand it just fine. :cool:

I've spec'd motors as high as 4160 V for large equipment (chillers).

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
That's interesting. I assume you are familiar, but in the U.S. there are normally 2 phases of electric that comes into a house. If one is tapped, it's 120v. If two are used, it's 240v. I don't understand how a 240v motor works. I know that for 240v heating elements, a different phase of electricity is hooked to each end of an element and they butt heads in the middle... where I've seen this in practice is in baseboard heating.

There's no choice in the UK (in homes, anyway). It's 240V only. Take it or leave it. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not to be obtuse, but a 240 V motor works just like any other AC motor at another voltage. Three-phase motors are slightly different, but in principle a different voltage doesn't really change things except perhaps windings, etc. It sounds like you understand it just fine. :cool:

I've spec'd motors as high as 4160 V for large equipment (chillers).

I'm not so sure I do, because there are two different phases. Is it as simple as separate wiring for each phase insulated from one another, both working with the magnets?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'm not so sure I do, because there are two different phases. Is it as simple as separate wiring for each phase insulated from one another, both working with the magnets?

More or less. 120 V isn't truly "single phase" because it's measured line-to-neutral, whereas 240 V is measured line-to-line, thereby creating a "phase." But yes, you would wire a 120 V motor with two wires, one line voltage and one neutral, and you would wire a 240 V motor with two line voltage wires and no neutral.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
More or less. 120 V isn't truly "single phase" because it's measured line-to-neutral, whereas 240 V is measured line-to-line, thereby creating a "phase." But yes, you would wire a 120 V motor with two wires, one line voltage and one neutral, and you would wire a 240 V motor with two line voltage wires and no neutral.

Ah, so the two phases are working against (or with?) each other. Is there also magnets involved?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Ah, so the two phases are working against (or with?) each other. Is there also magnets involved?

Yes, the magnets and windings are much the same as with the 120V motor.

As long as the two line voltages are exactly out of phase with each other (one positive while the other is negative), each 120 V leg creates a difference of 240 V.

Here's a nifty little graph that shows this, it's easier for me to visualize it this way.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, the magnets and windings are much the same as with the 120V motor.

As long as the two line voltages are exactly out of phase with each other (one positive while the other is negative), each 120 V leg creates a difference of 240 V.

Here's a nifty little graph that shows this, it's easier for me to visualize it this way.

Thanks! I kind of understand. ;) I assume that for most household uses, 220 voltage is used for heating, thinking of dryer element, oven element, maybe even furnace element if electric heat. I would have to assume that 120v is not used for this purpose because it would not be as effective?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Thanks! I kind of understand. ;) I assume that for most household uses, 220 voltage is used for heating, thinking of dryer element, oven element, maybe even furnace element if electric heat. I would have to assume that 120v is not used for this purpose because it would not be as effective?

Power is volts times current, and wire size is based on current. So if you double the voltage, you cut the current in half. So you use smaller wires, breakers, etc. In a house, the 220 V loads are typically those you mentioned, water heaters (unless they're gas), air conditioning, etc.

You could certainly design smaller appliances and loads to use 220 V (like most of Europe), but there isn't much to be gained. The smallest branch circuits here are generally 15 A, which at 120 V can operate sustained loads up to around 1,500 W before you begin to push its boundaries. Doubling the voltage would mean you could theoretically get up to 3 kW or so on a circuit, but there's very little in a house that would draw that much power.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My cabinets finally arrived and I am installing them. I had a guy stop by to measure for granite counters and he told me I needed a 10' straight edge to assure cabinet level and alignment. I compromised and got an 8' straight edge. It's well worth the price considering my outside kitchen wall is not straight. :eek: I found one locally and less than what Amazon charges for it.

21bbyVvHOJL.jpg
link

Maybe I'll get around to posting some pics... :D looking for the before pics.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

Here in the US, residential is all 120v. If you want to switch to 240v, you need a transformer to make the switch. However, you can run a larger load (current?) across a bigger wire (which requires a larger breaker) and that's how you can run an electric range, HVAC unit, water heater and clothes dryer from a 120v mains.

In commercial settings, it's often more cost effective to step the voltage up or down with a transformer so that you can run heat, equipment and sometimes even lights.

(At least, that's everything I've picked up from working with the EE's).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
My cabinets finally arrived and I am installing them. I had a guy stop by to measure for granite counters and he told me I needed a 10' straight edge to assure cabinet level and alignment. I compromised and got an 8' straight edge. It's well worth the price considering my outside kitchen wall is not straight. :eek: I found one locally and less than what Amazon charges for it.

Image link

Maybe I'll get around to posting some pics... :D looking for the before pics.

The guys doing my kitchen used a frikin laser! Attach to a wall, it self levels and you get a perfect line on the wall. Assuming you have metal corner strips in the plaster work it leaves no marks. Think it was one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DEW088K-DW088K-Line-Laser/dp/B005LD4XRC

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The guys doing my kitchen used a frikin laser! Attach to a wall, it self levels and you get a perfect line on the wall. Assuming you have metal corner strips in the plaster work it leaves no marks. Think it was one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DEW088K-DW088K-Line-Laser/dp/B005LD4XRC

That sounds handy. I discovered the outside wall of my kitchen is bowed at least the inside wall surface. These are the original cabinets I removed and they ran tile up to them so I have the line I'm using for reference and now the straight edge. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Granite counters are going in today. For some reason, I thought they would come sealed or be sealed by the installers, silly me. The installer, told me, no it was not sealed, so I started researching the options online.

Among the many things I stumbled across, this Sealing Granite Countertop article seemed to be very informative. I took a scrap piece of granite and performed the "lemon juice and cooking oil" test for 60 minutes. Absolutely no stain appeared on the granite. According to the article, it says if your granite is like this, it won't even take a sealer so don't bother. Critiques or comments pro or con about this assertion?

Now I'm looking for a good granite polisher for cleaning the granite and I think I've zeroed in on MB Stone Polish. Anyone with experience or with this or any other stone polish product? Thanks!

:)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
According to the article, it says if your granite is like this, it won't even take a sealer so don't bother. Critiques or comments pro or con about this assertion?

All I know is that the stone masons who installed ours made no mention of sealing it so I assume it's not necessary.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
All I know is that the stone masons who installed ours made no mention of sealing it so I assume it's not necessary.

Interesting enough, my installer was a proponent of sealing and it just so happened he would be glad to perform this service for only $500. :eek: Some of the sealing products out there offer a warranty as long as you use a certified installer to apply it. After my research I am going to resist, but I will use a revitalizer/polish on it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One more cabinet over the fridge needs to go up and the granite is down. Granite backsplash still needs to be installed. For now, here are some before and during pics. As soon as I can generate some decent new cabinet pics, I'll add them.

Before:
KitchenBefore-IMG_0096.jpg

Oak cabinets with honey stain. This has never been my favorite color. Clutter on counters is emptying cabinets for removal. (Wife made me say that! :p)

Before:
TallCabinetsm.jpg

Wall end cabinet (wall paper has been removed from walls- because they did not size them right and painted over the wall paper with paint, the drywall paper came off too. Hung plastic sheets over doorways to try to contain dust. It helps, but does not keep dust totally in work area.
Note ugly backsplash and beautiful iphone5 in green case. :):)

During- East Wall:
KichenEastWallPerspective.jpg

Not a fan of this backsplash tile, it's all coming off and taking substantial portions of drywall off to. This section of drywall was replaced.

During- East Wall Cabinets Removed, Wall access:
KitchenDuring.jpg

To make way for the gas cooktop in this new location (relocated from island), 3 electrical switches and receptacle would be eventually moved down. The receptacle would be used to power the gas cooktop, (it needs 120v), the switch box would be turned into a junction box. Paid to have gas line run down outside wall from attic. New water pipe to be added for pot filler next to cooktop. This is why the strip of drywall is missing below the cabinet level. Switches for over-sink light and garbage disposal to be moved closer to the sink.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's a good thing you apologized for the clutter! ;)

Hehe, yeah... :p

Progress: New Cabinets Install

New East Wall: See how straight the cabinets are? Several attempts required. 10' straight edge reccommended. :) Granite counters, no way I could have installed them. Too heavy, too hard, I'm no fool. ;)
NewEastWall.jpg

New Sink Closeup:
NewKitchenSinkandGranite.jpg

New Gas Cooktop:
NewGasCooktop.jpg

Wall Cabinet with 2 counter cabinets underneath:
CounterplusGlassCabinets.jpg

New Tall Cabinet:
NewTallCabinet3.jpg

New Island: See it, right there!
NewIsland2.jpg

Last edited:

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
Hehe, yeah... :p

Progress: New Cabinets Install

New East Wall: See how straight the cabinets are? Several attempts required. 10' straight edge reccommended. :) Granite counters, no way I could have installed them. Too heavy, too hard, I'm no fool. ;)

New Sink Closeup:

New Gas Cooktop:

Wall Cabinet with 2 counter cabinets underneath:

New Tall Cabinet:

New Island: See it, right there!

OMG! I love the countertops! I am so envious.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
OMG! I love the countertops! I am so envious.

Delicatus Granite.

This is 2 CM thick granite. One thing I learned is that the edges are doubled up and glued together before the bevil is applied. The way the seam is hidden is that they cut a strip of granite from the edge and flip it so that the pattern looks the same. It can also be purchase as 3 CM granite, it's heavier, but no need to double up the edge.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Kitchen looking good. Your wife's housekeeping skills, not so much. ;)

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
Delicatus Granite.

This is 2 CM thick granite. One thing I learned is that the edges are doubled up and glued together before the bevil is applied. The way the seam is hidden is that they cut a strip of granite from the edge and flip it so that the pattern looks the same. It can also be purchase as 3 CM granite, it's heavier, but no need to double up the edge.

Love!! I did a kitchen facelift a couple years ago, and wanted granite badly, but ended up just not being in the budget. One of these days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.