Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well then why not leave a bump for the headphone socket they seem intent on removing?
Apples new iphone7 looks like it will be exactly the same as the iphone 6s, which was exactly the same as the 6 (so much so it had to come up with 'its the same but completely different' marketing crapola), and the iphone 6 itself was playing catchup to the android midrange market of 2013 with its laughable 'retina' hd screen, its HUGE BEZELS, and advanced (for 2010) iOS software, which now has been well overtaken by android in my opinion (the OS, not the Apps).
Apple has superior apps due to being best on the market first, and still riding that wave.
While I love apples Macbook Pros (and waiting for them to eventually update the fecker as I cannot bring myself to buy 3 yr old processors for almost 3000 bucks), they seemed to have all but abandoned the computing sector to focus on the 'I upgrade my $500 phone every year' brigade.
I feel Apple has run out of ideas for their mobile range years ago.
The Iphone 4s was way ahead of the game back in 2010. Since then they ran out of ideas - No innovation since.
And as for the headphone socket removal - madness.
What next - we dont want the camera bump so we are taking away the camera??

Although the lack of the usual redesign for the iPhone 7 is upsetting to some people, it makes sense. Apple is saving it's radical redesign for the 10th anniversary iphone in 2017. That's just the way it is. The iPhone 7 May not be exciting, but it will still have some changes. I think less people are upgrading their iphones EVERY year now. I'm sure their iphone 6s and the upcoming iphone 7 will be fine until the radical redesign of the iPhone 8.

Reactions: Ghost31

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well if that is the actual lens there are good technical reasons for a large objective. The number one reason being that they gather more light. Often a lens that is large in diameter compared to its focal length is referred to as a fast lens. This can be a good thing in a camera as a wide aperture allows for more creativity when composing pictures. At least it does on a cemera, cell phones lack controls for creative photography.
I am not a techinical guy at all when it comes to cameras, but this makes sense to me. My only thought is, wouldn't the dual lens version (where each lens seems smaller) be worse in that regard?

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I agree that the better camera is worth the bump, but I think the point people are making is they could fill out the phone's thickness to match the camera and add a lot more battery. That's really the best option of all.

No thank you. Don't let battery life get worse, but keep on slimming. Smaller / lighter please! A little bump for the camera, no worries.

Reactions: Ghost31

Kobbr

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
I'm still bothered by the fact that they choose the worst material possible for a phone + the rounded edges. It's almost impossible to hold without a case.

Bring the square design back or change the material.

Reactions: R3k and mpavilion

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Everyone criticized the camera bump at the start. Now they seemed to have accepted it, not to mention that every other Android phone manufacturer is putting camera bumps of their own.
It is simple physics really. To increase low light performance you need a bigger lens that implies a longer focal length thus we get a bump to accommodate the focal length.
I think it's one of those things which won't be as bad in real world usage as people are making it out to be.

For most users that bump is a very good thing wether or not they realize it. The bump leads directly to the extremely good performance you see out of Apples cell phones today. Without the bump you wouldn't have the picture quality that we have now.

As for that dime sized lens opening, it is a bit of a mystery what is going on there if the picture is ligit. It just strikes me as too large for a conventional lens.

Reactions: brock2621

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
According to Apple, if you want the best camera with your iPhone, you have to get the biggest iPhone.

It's not entirely out of the realm of logic that the larger the sensor in combination with the larger the glass results in better photos. Larger sensor allows for either 1) More pixels or 2) Increased pixel size for better light penetration (increased low-light performance). The larger the glass opening, the more light is allowed in and usually increases sharpness and again, low light quality.

The phone is only so big and they have to Tetris that stuff in there; it's not insane to conclude the largest device has the most room: thus allowing for the better camera equipment to fit. Ya don't have to get the bigger one.

Reactions: Skika

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Dear me, Apple... Really? Viva la protruding camera and antenna bands? You better get rid of that all for iPhone 8 otherwise it's bye-bye, and bye-bye smart phone altogether. This. Is. Disgusting.

Reactions: Seifensieder

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I cannot be the only one thinking Apple is screwing around with us. Every leak is different from the other. :rolleyes:

Three phones. Two phones. Headphone jack, no headphone jack...

Apple?

OMG, can you understand the concept of "rumor"? This doesn't come from Apple.

You'll only know how the next iPhone will be in the September event, until now, have fun complaining about the fakes.
[doublepost=1466866875][/doublepost]
Dear me, Apple... Really? Viva la protruding camera and antenna bands? You better get rid of that all for iPhone 8 otherwise it's bye-bye, and bye-bye smart phone altogether. This. Is. Disgusting.

Have fun finding an Andeoid without that.

Disgusting!

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
That dual camera mess looks so un-Apple like.
That's only because no Apple phone has had a dual camera before. Everything Apple was un-Apple like until Apple did it. The Macintosh looked nothing like Apple ][ or even Lisa.
[doublepost=1466867157][/doublepost]
True. I agree. I wouldn't mind a slightly thicker iphone for a bigger battery. But with Apple's obssession with thinness...I just think it's pointless to get upset about.
Is Apple obsessed with thinness, or are you obsessed with thick heavy batteries?

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah,

Go to Android . There are about 2 models without a bulging camera. Good luck...
[doublepost=1466867468][/doublepost]
That's only because no Apple phone has had a dual camera before. Everything Apple was un-Apple like until Apple did it. The Macintosh looked nothing like Apple ][ or even Lisa.
[doublepost=1466867157][/doublepost]
Is Apple obsessed with thinness, or are you obsessed with thick heavy batteries?
I agree, I wanted a 6s plus for work, but actually preferred the regular 6plus, because it is a little bit thinner and quite less heavy.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
@fullauto Appears Apple's past association with the Black Eyed Peas is set to deliver this year in the most unique of ways...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple?

OMG, can you understand the concept of "rumor"? This doesn't come from Apple.

You'll only know how the next iPhone will be in the September event, until now, have fun complaining about the fakes.
I think the poster is implying that Apple is providing these leaks on purpose to throw people off. I might subscribe to this mindset if it wasn't suggested every year, and then, the thing leaked 3+ months before launch actually turns out to be the exact product Apple makes.

Reactions: Chidi

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Yes, this is a rumour. But I'm beginning to wonder how closely the design and engineering teams work together

Some of these designs look like components are shoehorned into the form factor.

It's almost as if Jonny would say, "you want me to put that into my thin masterpiece?"

Reactions: smacrumon

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Apple, reverse path. Increase the thickness to meet the depth of the camera assembly or use that Apple magic to reduce the camera assembly to match the phone thickness. No ugly protrusions. I'm so sad about this!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
It looks weird, so I hope the improved photo quality makes up for the increased ugliness.

It's going to have to be a really incredible camera, and I'm not sure how Apple will market it to set it apart from the 6 & 6s which has been heavily marketed for its amazing photo quality for the last two years. They can of course keep going with the "shot on iPhone 7", but how are they going to demonstrate the superiority on a billboard? Seems to me it will all just flow together, leaving the cops tomes thinking, 'my 6s has a great camera' what else does this weird-looking phone do?'. And I'm afraid the answer is shaping up as not much else ... And it may have lost the headphone jack as well ...

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's going to have to be a really incredible camera, and I'm not sure how Apple will market it to set it apart from the 6 & 6s which has been heavily marketed for its amazing photo quality for the last two years. They can of course keep going with the "shot on iPhone 7", but how are they going to demonstrate the superiority on a billboard? Seems to me it will all just flow together, leaving the cops tomes thinking, 'my 6s has a great camera' what else does this weird-looking phone do?'. And I'm afraid the answer is shaping up as not much else ... And it may have lost the headphone jack as well ...

Expect RAW capture along with new editing tools using the new Core Image RAW processing APIs.

As a photographer, that's huge and enough for me to upgrade.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.