Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
I didn't... when I turn my iPhone to landscape, it switches to landscape. I then turn it again in the same direction, and it remains in landscape mode.

I remember experiencing some undesired "orientation locks" in Safari with Beta 1, as if the accelerometer looses responsiveness or something (especially after bringing up the keyboard). A minor issue. But didn't try Beta 2 or 3.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Is it just me or is iphone 4.0 not that interesting?

Maybe is because ive had the features apple is "innovating" with for like 2 years already.

Since I only have an iPhone, folders is a big deal. Sure, everyone else and their sister has had that kind of stuff, but I've been using iPhones since they came out and it's nice to finally get to join the club.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
Exactly! And that's why you only *need* a portrait lock since landscape can already be locked by virtue of the phone not switching to portrait mode again when turned completely upside down! That was my point.

And that's exactly what I wanted to say. Call it "AdHoc Landscape Lock (ALL™)" if you want :cool:

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
really? have you never found yourself lying on your side, wishing you could read your mail or a webpage in landscape mode?

No. I'd rather read them in portrait mode (with the phone in a landscape orientation, hence the portrait mode lock). That is obviously personal preference, but I believe most people prefer portrait mode in most situations.

sbohan

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
I had to use Xcode beta 2 to restore mine, but you can probably use "restore" from iTunes as well. It will erase your phone.

Oh, the phone is OK. It didn't even begin to install the update, iTunes crashed as it was verifying the update.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
how many commands are we talking about here? 4? 5? 6?
surely everybody can easily remember up to 10 or 15 click-hold combinations?

Are you serious? Who wants to go through the pain of entering street fighter combo moves just to play music or go to the next track.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
What would happen if you locked in landscape and then returned to the homescreen? Or any of the many apps (built-in and 3rd party) that don't support landscape? Apple has never stressed landscape support for the iPhone like they have with the iPad, so it would be awkward to allow the user to lock the device in an under-supported mode.

That's a fair point, and I think you're addressing the precise reason it's not there. Nonetheless, there's so much benefit in landscape lock that it would IMHO be far more than worth it for the apps that do support it.

What I'd really like to see:
Make Landscape Lock a mode that forces landscape whenever it's supported and ignore it when not supported. (Simple to do. The OS just always returns status of landscape orientation whenever queried). This would force us to hold it in portrait for apps (or app modes) that don't support landscape, and would give us exactly what we want when it is supported. What more could we want. We'd have a perfect solution for using apps like safari, when lying in bed.

When you think about it, that behavior is quite similar to what we have right now with no lock mode. When you turn the iphone horizontal today, some apps (even apple apps) continue to display in portrait. That's a disappointing surprise just like the surprise you'd get when turning on landscape lock and using an app that doesn't support landscape. Seems to me that it's just barely more awkward than what we now (in one way) have but DOES totally satisfy the need where applicable. (And we'd eliminate the crazy flipping in those situations where you need landscape, which is MUCH, MUCH more awkward IMHO)

I do agree though that there's enough quirkiness that apple is likely to refuse to do it, given their philosophy of "Do it right or not at all"

Pete

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
If you are un-geek, please beware that there is no official way to restore your iPhone from a beta (Last time I checked dev forums). If the beta happens to expire before the new one comes out, your iPhone gets essentially *bricked*... you can hack your way back but it's a bit tricky and involves downloading dubious scripts and using the command line... but it's possible ;)

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
The original poster said that it would be easy for us to remember long tap-combinations on one button... Said that it was easier than just adding a stinking extra button. I was being facetious.

i was the original poster. i never said anything about long tap combinations, you do know how many permutations are possible with just three taps? and without having to resort to your silly & "facetious" example?

i never used the word "easier", that word makes no sense in this context.
i said "preferable"

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
No. I'd rather read them in portrait mode (with the phone in a landscape orientation, hence the portrait mode lock). The most natural way to hold the iPhone when lying on your side is in landscape mode so I'm not sure why you would need to lock it (in landscape mode) in that situation.

thanks to the posts above which explain that iphone turned upside-down actually locks the display into landscape mode,
i personally like to read with the screen as wide as possible, thus when lying in my side i wish to read in landscape mode. not sure which "natural way" you are referring to... and not sure why you prefer reading in portrait mode. but each to hie own. have a nice evening

-B-

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
i believe one button with multiple functions is preferable to adding buttons.

surely nobody has any difficulty remembering a couple of click-hold combination for one button?

The key here is that one button takes you to home. The other functions of the home button are there for power users. But you have absolutely no reason to actually use those functions.

Want the iPod controls? Home Button->iPod App
Want to goto another app? Home Button->Other app

Want your iPod controls faster? Home Button (twice)->Swipe->buttons available

Want to switch to the previous app? Home Button (twice)->Tap the app

There's no reason you NEED to use the multi-tasking interface at all. You can accomplish the same thing by only tapping once and clicking the application. The new interface is there for power users who really know what they're doing. Most users simply don't. So it's somewhat hidden.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
No. I'd rather read them in portrait mode (with the phone in a landscape orientation, hence the portrait mode lock). The most natural way to hold the iPhone when lying on your side is in landscape mode so I'm not sure why you would need to lock it (in landscape mode) in that situation.

The problem you're missing is a combination of two factors

1) Safari is currently designed to show much larger fonts in landscape mode. When you change orientation and zoom into a column of text, Safari NEVER recalculates word wrap. The same number of characters is displayed in a much wider column (when in landscape), thus providing those much larger fonts.

2)Many folks like myself need those larger fonts to be able to read a large portion of web content. I know from my conversations that there are an AWFUL lot of people in my boat.

Android, btw, allows many font zoom levels but CHANGES WORD WRAP to keep your text within the visible margins. (Thus avoiding the need for the horizontal scrolling introduced on an iphone when you pinch to zoom in) If apple did this, landscape lock would be less important.

Pete

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Is it just me or is iphone 4.0 not that interesting?

Maybe is because ive had the features apple is "innovating" with for like 2 years already.

It's just you. The 1500 new APIs are slowly being explored and Macrumors chooses to report, by NDA breakers, certain Apple changes that are immediate.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Are you serious? Who wants to go through the pain of entering street fighter combo moves just to play music or go to the next track.

you find it really painful to "click twice -> next track" or "click thrice -> go to start of present track"???
this is too complicated for you?
so you also do not use the controls on your earbuds?
no problem, each to his own :)

cjsmith28

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
Beta 3 Pulled!

Hello Mac enthusiast,

Just letting you know that they pulled the Beta 3 from the developer site.... Just passing that along and sorry if you already knew that.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
There's no reason you NEED to use the multi-tasking interface at all. You can accomplish the same thing by only tapping once and clicking the application. The new interface is there for power users who really know what they're doing. Most users simply don't. So it's somewhat hidden.

which is actually fine, right?

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
you find it really painful to "click twice -> next track" or "click thrice -> go to start of present track"???
this is too complicated for you?
so you also do not use the controls on your earbuds?
no problem, each to his own :)

The problem is that "click twice" and "click thrice" are already in use by the OS... So you'd have to use different commands.

"click quadrice" just isn't working for me.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I see all these people griping and moaning about the lack of landscape locking, but I can't think of a single occasion in which I've wanted landscape mode locked, while laying on my side. Usually, I'm reading something in portrait mode and I scroll vertically, using my thumb. Personally, I wouldn't miss that option one bit.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
When you think about it, that behavior is quite similar to what we have right now with no lock mode. When you turn the iphone horizontal today, some apps (even apple apps) continue to display in portrait. That's a disappointing surprise just like the surprise you'd get when turning on landscape lock and using an app that doesn't support landscape. Seems to me that it's just barely more awkward than what we now (in one way) have but DOES totally satisfy the need where applicable. (And we'd eliminate the crazy flipping in those situations where you need landscape, which is MUCH, MUCH more awkward IMHO)

I do agree though that there's enough quirkiness that apple is likely to refuse to do it, given their philosophy of "Do it right or not at all"

That's of course a fair point, too. But I would argue that it's more than "just barely more awkward" in a user interface sense. Explicitly alerting the user that "landscape orientation is locked" and then having the device potentially immediately (or really ever) break that lock would be very very bad behaviour. There are no such explicit promises with the "current" behaviour as you described.

Locking portrait, meanwhile, isn't even disturbed when you get a phone call.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
The problem is that "click twice" and "click thrice" are already in use by the OS... So you'd have to use different commands.

well yes, reason i mentioned them was in reply to to dugbug who fears the "pain" of "entering street fighter combo moves" to "go to the next track"

since "go to next track" is a double click, i wonder how dugbug manages to cope with the pain of opening files, apps or folders on his desktop or laptop every day.

"click quadrice" just isn't working for me.

i did mention the permutations of 3 clicks in my previous reply to you, there was no mention of "click quadrice", stop obfuscating.

take care, have a nice evening
-B-

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Basic multitasking question: am I right that a single home click quits the app (as before) while a double click brings up the multitask window keeping the app running?

Isn't that very confusing: if I accidentally single click the app is completely closed and I have to load it again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.