Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
i don't know why people buy high capacity ipads.... What do they fill it up with? And these things are meant to be upgraded every 2 years or so since apple gimp their old hardware every few os release.

16gb for me!

ashmorel

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Hong Kong
i don't know why people buy high capacity ipads.... What do they fill it up with? And these things are meant to be upgraded every 2 years or so since apple gimp their old hardware every few os release.

16gb for me!

It's not difficult to fill up 64GB. I had a lot of photos of my family, some books, movies and reasonable amount of apps and there's not much left to spare which is why i went for 128gb this tine.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

16gb for me!

16gb is just a tad too small for me. Most good games are hitting around 1gb in install size and that's not even counting the os. If you add a a couple of movies you find yourself without space really fast. I have done well with 32 since the first ipad. Every upgrade for me has been 32gb.

And don't forget with the 64 bit os, all the future apps will be larger.

Last edited:

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I guess Woz was right.

Or just maybe Apple only made a fraction of 128GB models in comparison to the 16/32's?

That could be, but IF THEY WERE LISTENING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS (I just had to throw that in there ;) -- I've had a bad week with Mavericks) they should have been able to have gotten a clue as to what direction things were heading based on 64 and 128GB model sales prior to this. I have no direct knowledge, but I doubt those models have been sitting around on the shelves collecting dust the last many months, and software only gets fatter with time. I was going to go for the 128GB in a couple of weeks, but maybe I'll wait and see if they sneak in a 256 out of the blue like they did the 128. My 64GB iPad2 still works OK.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
These new iPads truly are revolutionary. How can it be possible to pack so much cutting-edge technology into such a slim, light, gorgeous device? Only Apple can do this. And that's why iPad Air is already selling out around the world in just a few hours.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
These new iPads truly are revolutionary. How can it be possible to pack so much cutting-edge technology into such a slim, light, gorgeous device? Only Apple can do this. And that's why iPad Air is already selling out around the world in just a few hours.

Do you work for Apple? This sounds like a PR sound bite.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012

16gb for me!

I made the same decision. Went with a 16gb wifi-only. It's not what I really wanted, but a 32gb with cellular is a 50% price premium. Which means that I can't justify buying another next year. I can literally buy an iPad Air and then trade it in and buy an iPad Air 2 next year for the same total cost as buying a 32gb with cellular this year.

I really wish Apple would lessen the price of 4G and storage upgrades. It seems ridiculous in my opinion.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
very very little cellular versions for 64GB models in the Philadelphia area. and nothing for 128GB models. my guess is they didn't even bother getting 128GB models in for celluar.
i also presume that apple tried to prioritize the cellar versions to the carriers due to the complaints last time around with the iPad 3

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

16gb for me!

I watch Alot of TV Shows and TV Shows. I would buy an 256 GB version if they had one. Most HD TV shows are 1GB or more per episode. iCloud sucks because the places that I would us it have Crappy Wifi or I would eat up my Data Plan. I hate having to hook up my External HDD to my MacBook and turning on iTunes sharing. The External HDD has my iTunes Library since the internal one is to small. That is the some of the reasons some of us buy the Large capacity models.

Now only if Apple would make external storage easy.

kdog0126

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Help needed

I bought the 128GB AT&T...however I am having buyers remorse. It's the best value (only $100 more and you get an additional 64GB). However, I am replacing a 64GB iPad 3 which still has 20GB (although, I haven't downloaded all of my music on it). Should I take it back and get the 64GB or just keep it. I have 100GB dropbox, 55GB iCloud, iPhone 5S with 64GB and iPad Mini with 32GB.

its only $100 difference but that money could be used for Retina Mini...

Thoughts?!?

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I bought the 128GB AT&T...however I am having buyers remorse. It's the best value (only $100 more and you get an additional 64GB). However, I am replacing a 64GB iPad 3 which still has 20GB (although, I haven't downloaded all of my music on it). Should I take it back and get the 64GB or just keep it. I have 100GB dropbox, 55GB iCloud, iPhone 5S with 64GB and iPad Mini with 32GB.

its only $100 difference but that money could be used for Retina Mini...

Thoughts?!?

Tough call. I would say keep it. With the new OS youre probably going to fill it up quickly with any and all the app updates coming over the next year then you'll wish you got the 128gb. Resale will be better too.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
In downtown Toronto - Apple Store - small line up, lots of stock in Futureshop and Best Buy - no line ups.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

16gb for me!

Mostly books, PDFs, and magazines for me. The interactive magazines like Backpacker Magazine are massive in file size, but many of the books I have to read for my research are in PDF form--huge files of scanned books. I also have a fair amount of music and some large apps weighing in at over 1GB each (e.g. offline maps).

kdog0126

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Tough call. I would say keep it. With the new OS youre probably going to fill it up quickly with any and all the app updates coming over the next year then you'll wish you got the 128gb. Resale will be better too.

THat's what i was thinking too...maybe give me a opportunity to create and edit some movies (kids sports activities, etc). Like you said new apps will probably be larger...I don't know. I am sooo torn. Hate feeling like i am wasting money. In the grand scheme of things it's only $100, but it is a $100 if you know what I mean. Can use that to buy apple care.

avionicsman

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Canuck Land!!
My boss walked into Apple store

and picked up the 128gb cell space gray no problem. like picking up a pair of headphones. Clerk said there was lots of stock still as of 10am at the Apple stores in the Vancouver BC region. :) :apple:

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Expect stores to get almost no Mini retinas until the overstock of airs are flushed from the system. Like the 5c, another flopping fish of a fail.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
THat's what i was thinking too...maybe give me a opportunity to create and edit some movies (kids sports activities, etc). Like you said new apps will probably be larger...I don't know. I am sooo torn. Hate feeling like i am wasting money. In the grand scheme of things it's only $100, but it is a $100 if you know what I mean. Can use that to buy apple care.

I'm right there with you. There is always the "Do you really need this" devil in the back of my head. I'm usually at 32gb but now I'm considering the 64gb, but I'm waiting on upgrading my ipad mini.

HOWEVER,

Sometimes, having a little hard drive disclipline goes a long way. I'm sure there are a whole bunch of things already on your other ipad that you haven't accessed in months...maybe even years. Just carry overs from your restore upgrades. I'm a DJ/producer so I have a Macbook pro with 750gb HD, but if I really look at my drive, I'm probably only using 300gb. The other 200 gb being used is just crap I'm too lazy to look through. I have a Macbook Air I use all the time and it's 120gb. I was worried when I bought it but I have been really disciplined. I still have 50gb left and I feel I have almost everything I need, aside from music.

I probably just made it worse. lol

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
The iPad Air is an amazing product. Amazing.

Can an amazing product withstand a bunch of really good Android tablets that cost way less?

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
The iPad Air is an amazing product. Amazing.

Can an amazing product withstand a bunch of really good Android tablets that cost way less?

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your answer. I will not buy another iPad until you answer this extremely difficult question.

I'm just not sure what to buy now. Please...hurry up with the answer...

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
It's not difficult to fill up 64GB. I had a lot of photos of my family, some books, movies and reasonable amount of apps and there's not much left to spare which is why i went for 128gb this tine.

Do you keep the movies on your iPad? I'm just curious. I bought a 32gb version last time because of PDFs, photos, and iTunesU, but I'm still a long way from filling that up. I can see that movies take up a lot of space, but I just wouldn't keep them on the iPad.

Maybe I don't travel enough to warrant using my mobile device for video....

kdog0126

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
I'm right there with you. There is always the "Do you really need this" devil in the back of my head. I'm usually at 32gb but now I'm considering the 64gb, but I'm waiting on upgrading my ipad mini.

HOWEVER,

Sometimes, having a little hard drive disclipline goes a long way. I'm sure there are a whole bunch of things already on your other ipad that you haven't accessed in months...maybe even years. Just carry overs from your restore upgrades. I'm a DJ/producer so I have a Macbook pro with 750gb HD, but if I really look at my drive, I'm probably only using 300gb. The other 200 gb being used is just crap I'm too lazy to look through. I have a Macbook Air I use all the time and it's 120gb. I was worried when I bought it but I have been really disciplined. I still have 50gb left and I feel I have almost everything I need, aside from music.

I probably just made it worse. lol

Actually you didn't...helped me rationalize. I do have so rather larger apps that I don't use. Same goes for music. Going back down to 64...

I have enough devices to spread the load if needed.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

16gb for me!

Apps, apps, and more apps. I easily have around 100GB worth of games alone. Yea I'm a huge iOS gamer and because many of these games don't support iCloud saving, I like to keep them on my device.

Also music. I use my iPad as my DJ machine and although I have iTunes Match, I have to store several GB of music tracks locally because they need to be pre-analyzed by my DJ app so they can be ready to be played and mixed.

And as another poster mentions: magazines. I'm a huge Newsstand user and have several subscriptions. Just one issue can take up to a whole GB of space.

But for movies and TV shows, I actually don't store a single one and it's not so much that I don't travel much but because I'm very content with the new iOS 7 Video app streaming of my iTunes purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.