Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
T Mobile units are the first to sell out.. I'm guessing this is due to huge demand for their awesome free 200MB plan. I am definitely getting a T Mobile model! Just don't know whether it will be the air or if I can wait and demo the mini.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Geez, at the price of the 128gb iPad, you might as well buy a Macbook Air :eek:

thats nonsensical. a notebook and a tablet serve very different use cases. there is some cross-over, but they definitely do different things...differently. for instance -- no laptop would be enjoyable to read on my side on the couch. or to sit with on the toilet. or to pass around to friends at a gathering. a laptop also weighs much more, and requires more hassle at airports.

i own a laptop, and a tablet. i use them for different things.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
heh heh, why not ask for 4G of memory, display resolution that double today standard? May be Apple should put technology that is not even invented yet into Ipad air to ensure that we don't have to buy another tablet in our life time :cool:)

What you are asking is a tablet that is build beyond what we need today. But are you ready to pay for the extra hardware? Of course not, Apple is already making too much money. Bank also has too much money, may be we should ask them to share with the rest of us too :cool:..

If you feel strongly that it is a easy proposition, you should start a crowd funding project. I will be the first one to buy one from you. But my criteria is going to be the same as your, it will be the only tablet that I will buy for the next 10 years and I only want to pay 499 and no more. Let see what you can come up with :cool:)
The effective memory is LESS than the iPad4. Why are you so willing to accept LESS useable RAM? What else are you will to accept LESS of with Apple's offerings?

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
1) Touch 4 was EOL'd not gimped. It's still supported. Off topic.

2) No you shouldn't have expanded the discussion because OP's point was that Apple gimps iOS devices, and my argument was on that point alone. Apple has a clear history of gimping current Mac hardware to sell the next model up. But that was not the topic.

3) Whether the original iPad was designed with insufficient RAM is also moot. OP's point, again, was that Apple, as a sales strategy, gimps old hardware to force people to update. There is zero evidence of this. None.

I understand.

The non-iOS side of things has left me jadded with respect to intentional Gimping. The lack of 2Gigs of RAM smacks of exactly the same thing. Only with the iOS devices it's forcing an early upgrade, instead of forcing you to spend more for a different product.

I guess we'll have to wait for the iPad Pro for that :)

Last edited:

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
This is not a measure of demand. I think Apple doesn't supply retailers with as many of the 128 GB model. Not as popular, generally speaking.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
thats nonsensical. a notebook and a tablet serve very different use cases. there is some cross-over, but they definitely do different things...differently. for instance -- no laptop would be enjoyable to read on my side on the couch. or to sit with on the toilet. or to pass around to friends at a gathering. a laptop also weighs much more, and requires more hassle at airports.

i own a laptop, and a tablet. i use them for different things.

I'm going to qualify myself: I own all of them, 15 Macbook Pro, 13 Macbook Air "original" 11 Macbook Air, Ipad 3, Ipad 1, Ipad Mini.

Yes they do different things and if I'm only consuming, the iPad makes the most sense, but if I'm doing anything else, my 11 inch Macbook Air is pretty damn close to being an Ipad. It's super light, can be passed around, doesnt get hot, and weighs about the same as the ipad. I can use either one interchangeably.

My iPad mini is totally different, which is why I use that as my go to tablet.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
No, it actually makes my point quite clearly. The only other tablet with a top satisfaction are the Galaxies, and they cost almost as much as the iPads. So there is only one other "really good" tablet, and it is far from costing "way less".

But your chart gives the Samsung tablets a score of 4/5 stars for cost, as opposed to 2/5 for Apple. I'm just going by your chart. It's not giving good support to what you're saying, even if you are actually right.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
T Mobile units are the first to sell out.. I'm guessing this is due to huge demand for their awesome free 200MB plan. I am definitely getting a T Mobile model! Just don't know whether it will be the air or if I can wait and demo the mini.

I bought a Verizon model then used a T-Mobile SIM which worked no problems and I have my 200/month free activated. No cash, no credit info or anything.

Will probably snag another SIM for my ipad 2 too.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
But your chart gives the Samsung tablets a score of 4/5 stars for cost, as opposed to 2/5 for Apple. I'm just going by your chart. It's not giving good support to what you're saying, even if you are actually right.

Fair enough, I see your point and you are correct. However, the cost rating has been a major sticking point in this survey, and I should have mentioned that, so I'm also correct. :p

"Reporters who got their hands on the attached chart were left scratching their heads," wrote Philip Elmer DeWitt in Fortune. "The only category that Samsung beat Apple in was (duh) cost. And cost, according to Power's press release, counts for at most 16% of the total score."

"Did J.D. Power overreach in giving its top customer satisfaction nod to Samsung instead of Apple?" wondered Don Reisinger of CNET. "So who's the real winner?"

From: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/01/tech/mobile/samsung-apple-tablets-satisfaction/index.html

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The effective memory is LESS than the iPad4. Why are you so willing to accept LESS useable RAM? What else are you will to accept LESS of with Apple's offerings?

heh heh, I am just being realistic. Airing it out in a forum like this won't do squash to Apple future business plan. They will keep putting just enough hardware together to sell their device. The problem with asking for more hardware is that there is a big risk that we will never use the extra hardware and end up paying for the hardware for nothing. I am on a 3 years old PC now and my hard drive is only 1/4 full, my performance monitor told me that out of 8G DRAM memory, I have 6+G free, and my CPU is less than 10% busy. But I pay for every piece of the hardware a few years back.

How do you know that 2G DRAM is what we need in the future (and not 1G and not 3G??)?? And is Apple going to give it to us for free or are we going to pay for them? Samsung and the rest of the Android maker has to give more hardware to compensate for the app weakness in the Android ecosystem. Apple will continue to milk the ecosystem until Android developers finally catch up. If we don't like Apple solution, we can always buy something else. But given the way the market is set up, it is mighty hard for Android to catch up in the functionality of their systems. Android user like the ecosystem because it is inexpensive. So if they don't want to spend money on hardware, why would they want to spend money on software? And if no one want to pay for their Android software, who is going to develop them? It is a self selection problem that will continue to reinforce over time.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
----------

[/COLOR]

How so? All the iPhones stayed the same too when they went from flagship to budget model. What iOS device did Apple "gimp" when it left flagship status?

How about storage? Apple gimped the capacity while giving a $100 discount for mid and low tier devices.

That's highway robbery because basically lower storage and lower price means it's not getting any cheaper than day 1. They just provide suckier option (less storage)

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
I wanted to buy the 128gb so i could put all my photos on it. But instead i'm going to buy the 32gb and use Loom and Adobe revel. It syncs with all my devices and the Mac. And you can even make albums . Second reason was for video editing. Doing it with iMovie is nice on the ipad but there's also no syncing with iMovie on the Mac. Vivid (pinnacle) can, but only with a pc

ashmorel

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Do you keep the movies on your iPad? I'm just curious. I bought a 32gb version last time because of PDFs, photos, and iTunesU, but I'm still a long way from filling that up. I can see that movies take up a lot of space, but I just wouldn't keep them on the iPad.

Maybe I don't travel enough to warrant using my mobile device for video....

Yeah....I tend to download a lot of movies / tv series and then keep them on my iPad. I then delete each item after I've watched it but as each movie is around 800mb then the storage soon goes. I also have a lot of photos and HD videos of my young children and they eat up a lot of space.

----------

i don't know why people buy high capacity ipads.... What do they fill it up with? And these things are meant to be upgraded every 2 years or so since apple gimp their old hardware every few os release.

16gb for me!

I would turn this around and say that I don't know why people buy the 16GB iPad as it seems way too little to me. 16GB is barely enough for a mobile phone, never mind a tablet that is for consuming more content. In my opinion, the minimum base model for the iPad should be 32GB and the 16GB model shouldn't even exist.

Last edited:

jovada

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
As soon as the iPad Air became available in Belgium, I placed my order. The status page of my order still says: shipping within 24h.
Those are a long 24 hours!
Expected delivery date is Tuesday :(

I should've gone to some other random store to just pick one up...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
In some ways Apple has sort of hurt it's own "hype machine" by making so many available on launch day...

They get screwed by PR no matter what. They sell out launch day the rumors of why they didn't have enough start. They manage to have plenty for the whole weekend and folks start rumors of why the demand is so low.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
They would have sold more 256gb than 32gb

If there had been a 256gb model they would have been sold out. If apple would have made money bumping from 128 to 256 with same raise in price as the other ipads they should have made a 256.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yeah....I tend to download a lot of movies / tv series and then keep them on my iPad. I then delete each item after I've watched it but as each movie is around 800mb then the storage soon goes. I also have a lot of photos and HD videos of my young children and they eat up a lot of space.

----------

I would turn this around and say that I don't know why people buy the 16GB iPad as it seems way too little to me. 16GB is barely enough for a mobile phone, never mind a tablet that is for consuming more content. In my opinion, the minimum base model for the iPad should be 32GB and the 16GB model shouldn't even exist.

Just bought a 16gig
Planning on investing in a wireless drive to stream movies without using data plan away from home.

At home apps like goodreader and nplayer can access smb shares on my main PC. They also work with nas servers and the like.

I'd rather spend money on HDD space that all of our tablets can use rather than just one of them.

If it is space for apps you need, then there is no other choice than buying more onboard storage from apple. I am mostly worried about videos/docs/photos/files, all of which can be moved to other offboard HDD space.

looking at these
http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Mobile-Wireless-Storage-WIFISD/dp/B00BMQ3KUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383490674&sr=8-1&keywords=macally+wifisd

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEB5QU2/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Last edited:

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
When: Launch day
Time: 12:30 PM.

I half expected long lines. There were none. The signage out front stating "For iPad Air, form line here" was empty of members. Inside the store was it's usual flood of patrons. I approached the greeter and asked about grabbing an iPad Air. She directed me to 1 of 2 associates specifically tasked with helping with Air requests. I was first in "line". Five mins later I walked out with a 128GB Silver along with a smart case. It was an uneventful event.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
everyone wants the biggest iPad..

Weakening stock ?? That didn't take long..

Either it means (1. its gong the same way as "short supply" as the Retina mini, or (2, something else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.