Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What devices - or computers - are able to play host to it?

Is it confined to iPhones or iPads?
These particular apps are iOS apps, so basically applicable to iOS devices. There are likely similar Android apps (perhaps even Windows Phone apps). They are most useful when being out and being able to point your device in different directions to get an augmented view of it all, so these types of apps are essentially mostly for portable devices.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
These particular apps are iOS apps, so basically applicable to iOS devices. There are likely similar Android apps (perhaps even Windows Phone apps). They are most useful when being out and being able to point your device in different directions to get an augmented view of it all, so these types of apps are essentially mostly for portable devices.

http://vitotechnology.com/star-walk-2-guide-sky-night-day.html

They have both an iOS and Android version according to their site. But they are for mobile devices only.

Ah, thanks a lot for your swift and very kind responses.

Er, I have not expressed myself clearly. You think that my concern is Android or iPhone.

My problem is that I don't have any sort of mobile device, neither an Android nor an iPhone. In fact, my phone is an antique Nokia (a 3510 to be exact).

And - as for my iPads - one brother inherited one I had bought for myself, while the second iPad I bought went straight away into my other brother's Christmas stocking.

In essence, these apps require mobile devices - such as iPhones (or Android) or an iPad?

Can I assume that this app will not work on a MBA?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ah, thanks a lot for your swift and very kind responses.

Er, I have not expressed myself clearly. You think that my concern is Android or iPhone.

My problem is that I don't have any sort of mobile device, neither an Android nor an iPhone. In fact, my phone is an antique Nokia (a 3510 to be exact).

And - as for my iPads - one brother inherited one I had bought for myself, while the second iPad I bought went straight away into my other brother's Christmas stocking.

In essence, these apps require mobile devices - such as iPhones (or Android) or an iPad?

Can I assume that this app will not work on a MBA?
Correct, these particular apps would require a mobile device. There are likely desktop versions of some of these apps or at least other similar ones, but probably wouldn't quite work in the same fashion as you can't typically take a desktop outside and point it up at different parts of the sky and have things mapped out (which works quite well with a mobile device).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My company send out a "warning" to those responsible for the systems that they may have a problem but like the last time a second was added to the atomic clock, it was much ado about nothing. The time came and went without any problems :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have recommended it elsewhere, but for anyone interested in the history of marking time accurately, the extraordinary story of John Harrison and his chronometers, (which includes significant parts of the history of the development of clocks and watches), along with the discovery of how to measure longitude, I cannot recommend Dava Sobel's wonderful book 'Longitude' highly enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.