Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Where is your dock now on the screen?

• Left

Votes: 52 22.4%
  • Right

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Bottom

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Hidden...

Votes: 32 13.8%

• Total voters

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Just curious, how many of us out there actually put the dock not on the bottom of the screen (As APPLE always wants us to).

With all screens being 16:9 / 16:10, isn't wiser to utilize the extra "wide" pixels and put the dock on either left or right side of the screen? :rolleyes:

Just my opinion..

Last edited by a moderator:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Left, but set to autohide. I don't use my dock. I use QuickSilver and I use using Mission Control (or whatever it's called) to find the apps that are already open.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Left, at the top just beneath the Apple menu, set to permanently stay hidden unless I hit the key-combo: mouseover does *not* bring up my Dock, and I like it that way.

techn9ne

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Bottom. I know I can move it but I'm used to it where it is so I leave it there. I suppose if I have some need to move it around, I will - but I don't quite yet. Didn't even realize these other options listed above were there for me. Guess I need to pay attention to the functionality a bit more...

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Most of the time its hidden at the bottom. I use Alfred and Spotlight to launch/search most of the time. Mission control to pop between desktops.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Bottom. Grew up with Windows, so I habitually need something down there :p All my commonly used apps are there so they're easy to access and switch between. I don't use Mission Control or any of those, and I removed Launchpad from the dock. I don't like how it organizes things :p

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bottom. I know I can move it but I'm used to it where it is so I leave it there. I suppose if I have some need to move it around, I will - but I don't quite yet. Didn't even realize these other options listed above were there for me. Guess I need to pay attention to the functionality a bit more...

You can right click on the dock and it will bring up all those options.. :)

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Left, at the top just beneath the Apple menu, set to permanently stay hidden unless I hit the key-combo: mouseover does *not* bring up my Dock, and I like it that way.

What key-combo did you use?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its on the left as I need more screen real estate from top to bottom thanks to gotomypc.

vish26

Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
is there a way to permanently hide the Mac Dock and Bring it back when required. I use some of the other APPS which also give Dock options !

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Another vote for Alfred.

Dock is off on the left, set to Auto-hide, and never used. Alfred launches everything - gestures on the trackpad combined with Cmd+Tab gets me to everything else, including jumping between all my desktop "spaces"...

The one downside about Alfred and everything above? I look like a complete idiot the moment I try something on someone else's Mac >> the most basic thing has me pause to work out what I should do, since my muscle-memory moves did nothing... :p

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
When I actually need space, I just set the retina display to 1680x1050 mode. Most of the reason I see people using left/right/hidden is when they don't have enough space. I like custom icons, so I like have my pretty dock there.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I wanted to ask people who keep their Mac Dock on the left of the screen, don't any of you guys use the APP "Dragthing" and if you do, how do you guys manage to keep your MAC OS Dock on the left of the screen ?? If you also even keep your Mac Doc on the left ?

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I too prefer to use the left vice the bottom. It just makes sense with these wide format monitors.

In fact, since I'm forced to use Win7 at work, I also place the taskbar on the left to keep a common operational feel between OS X at home and Windows at work.

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
I also think it's a waste of space to put the dock on the bottom. Mine's always on the right. I use Launchbar to launch all my apps or websites though. Keyboard is always faster than moving the mouse.

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
I leave it at the bottom. I put my skype/Adium on the left as the desktop icons aligns right usually. So the dock on the left is not exactly convenient. Thought, ubuntu keeps the dock left.

I guess I need to look into other options.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
Left, Right or Bottom (dock position)

When I actually need space, I just set the retina display to 1680x1050 mode. Most of the reason I see people using left/right/hidden is when they don't have enough space. I like custom icons, so I like have my pretty dock there.

True, retina resolution gives a lot of space, but this space is more needed vertically than horizontaly. Screens are wide nowadays. Seems like better idea to keep it on left. Just common sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.