Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
That was utter non sense. Operating a touch screen is more work... You've to make sure of a bunch of other things and yuck no one wants that. The newer MacBook (Pro/Airs') hinges will definitely be better but Apple knows what they're doing despite the release taking forever... A Lenovo over a Mac?! That's insane. macOS ALL DAY! Running Sierra on work computer and its still a champ. Can't wait to see Apple's response to this nonsense.
The fact that you chose to install Sierra on a work computer says a lot.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Mentioning Apple or Apple products 10 times in 60 seconds...

Mentioning Lenovo twice... once by voice and once by logo.

That's one way to build their brand (?)

BTW... Apple doesn't make a convertible 2-in-1... so saying "My Mac can't do this" is rather unfounded. Hell... I've heard Windows pundits say that most 2-in-1s are primarily used as laptops anyway. So what's the big deal? While a flippy screen isn't totally useless... it's probably not the biggest reason to buy a particular portable computer.

Also... the Lenovo Yoga 900S doesn't run MacOS or any Mac-specific software... which I would imagine is THE biggest reason to buy an Apple Mac.

Wanna know what else is funny? Lenovo is the biggest computer manufacturer in the world... followed closely by HP and Dell... and Asus further behind in 4th place.

And they're spending their advertising budget against Apple?

I guess it proves that the 5th place vendor is on everyone's minds and is actually a credible threat!

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
As for apple's next ad: "you thought non Apple companies could out compete us....well...you may be right. We got nothing to show."

cox-orange

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
Germany
Agreed, the Windows HiDPI implementation is horrible. About the worst there is next to none.

Strange, I'm running a 27-inch 4k display at a Windows 10 desktop PC, scaling set to 150 %, and it's just wonderful. The only horrible thing is software not being developed properly for this Windows scaling, and indeed this might be more complicated than on the Mac platform. Anyway even most Open Source developers have made it by now.

But you know who has NOT made it? Apple. iTunes on Windows still looks blurry on a high-res display.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's not bad until it goes wrong. And it frequently does. Work tech support for a month and you'll be cursing the operating system. The amount of stupid, crazy problems that Windows manifests are abundant and bitterly frustrating.

The only issue we've had at the company I work at is that there were some monitor driver issues a few months ago. It'd sometimes lose connection to a monitor or two for a few seconds (and this wasn't so common as to really cause problems... maybe once a week it would exhibit this behavior for an hour). We got a new driver update a few weeks later that fixed that issue. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

I'd say it closed more than 3/4th of the distance between Windows 7 and OS X. If you're going to be forced to use Windows for whatever reason, try to make sure it's Windows 10 and not an older version.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Give the MacBook i5 and i7 options (like the HP Spectre) and at least two usb-c ports and many, many more people will consider it at that price point. Currently, it's ridiculously overpriced. Just don't forget some small fans on the MacBook.

"With great power comes great cooling necessity." xD

Then, competing with these other ultra portables will be much easier since it can do more demanding tasks without problems and it's more practical when it has two ports.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The only issue we've had at the company I work at is that there were some monitor driver issues a few months ago. It'd sometimes lose connection to a monitor or two for a few seconds (and this wasn't so common as to really cause problems... maybe once a week it would exhibit this behavior for an hour). We got a new driver update a few weeks later that fixed that issue. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

I'd say it closed more than 3/4th of the distance between Windows 7 and OS X. If you're going to be forced to use Windows for whatever reason, try to make sure it's Windows 10 and not an older version.

That's fair enough. We've had some real weird bugs though. 30 laptops at a time, all identical models, being deployed simultaneously with an identical bloatfree OS. About 1/4 of them will have a weird error where Windows Explorer crashes & restarts if you create a new folder on the desktop, or open a zip file. All drivers fully up-to-date. The only fix? Create a new user account. No idea why it happens as everything is identical.

Other problems include Windows randomly installing conflicting trackpad drivers for no reason. Windows + R, main.cpl, and it spits up a driver error. We've tried recapturing a fresh image for the fourth time and hopefully it's fixed the issue.

Resetting Edge is a pain (though it's a junk browser and we encourage against it). Delete folders in %programdata% (or %appdata%, I forget which), and download the components again through Powershell?! What an absolute joke.

Granted, I don't think it's a bad OS. It's just so frustrating to encounter stupid bugs that are impossible to fix and vaguely documented. Also, take a shot everytime a Microsoft representative on their forums suggests sfc /scannow. Worse than useless.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I always told my brother artist means unemployed.

They finally hired my brother!

dtemp

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Does it have Linux drivers? I can guarantee you I'm not running Windows on this thing, or anything else.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
BTW... Apple doesn't make a convertible 2-in-1... so saying "My Mac can't do this" is rather unfounded. Hell... I've heard Windows pundits say that most 2-in-1s are primarily used as laptops anyway. So what's the big deal? While a flippy screen isn't totally useless... it's probably not the biggest reason to buy a particular portable computer.
It's probably the second most important reason why I bought my Surface Book, in fact. I use it as a laptop most of the time, until i have some presentation to do

Windows 10 is a very bad, unloved OS that Microsoft couldn't convince people to install even using super-annoying, class-actionable nag screens.
20% marketshare is far from "very bad, unloved". It's twice macOS', and after considering most companies use Windows and don't upgrade (heck, my own company still had XP until recently, for software compatibilty reason), it's very good.

Strange, I'm running a 27-inch 4k display at a Windows 10 desktop PC, scaling set to 150 %, and it's just wonderful. The only horrible thing is software not being developed properly for this Windows scaling, and indeed this might be more complicated than on the Mac platform. Anyway even most Open Source developers have made it by now.

But you know who has NOT made it? Apple. iTunes on Windows still looks blurry on a high-res display.
Supporting HiDPI is easy from a developer point of view, except if, like Steam for instance, you use custom rendering of fonts/windows. :p This is a few lines of code to add / a checkbox to tick depending on the IDE used.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You mean that Windows 10 is 100 times better than El Crap!?

Pfftt.

20% marketshare is far from "very bad, unloved". It's twice macOS', and after considering most companies use Windows and don't upgrade

And what would the marketshare be if they weren't pushing the upgrade every minute? Downloading it in the background and installing it automatically. Optional updates become recommended. KB updates change name and code, but do the same damn thing. Absolutely no way to not upgrade when it's already been downloaded in the background and you restart the machine, unless you shift delete the hidden Windows download folders and it can't install it.

They even promised not to push the W10 upgrade on Windows machines running on a domain, but that quickly went to ****. I can tell you that first hand.

To force Windows 10 down people's throats every which way, then brag about the marketshare, is utterly ridiculous.

Xangelkiller

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Does this stereotypical "Apple fan" even exist? It just seems so...off and outdated. It's like some ad intern read some CNet comments and took it as gospel. Who would this ad (i use this term loosely) really appeal to?

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I think the ad is funny and they nailed it when making fun of the new MacBook. Yup just like any mac fans are making fun of this new MacBook gotta admit it I chuckle everytime. Maybe they have a better hardware compared to this particular MacBook, but software is a different story. On top of that a Chinese owned company with a history of preinstalling malware. If Google is scary enough how much more a chinese company that wants to steal you personal informations. Hell no!

TiPhone 4G

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Oklahoma
Does the Yogo come with a side order of malware?
Yes it does they all come with A disease they are going to get sick and die
[doublepost=1468272163][/doublepost]
Yeah, right... Two words: Windows 10.

And this ad spend more time actually praising –rather than mocking– Apple.

Free marketing for Apple!
It's not even poking fun at Apple its poking fun at Apple Fan boys

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Why did they hire the stereotypical Windows (work is fun! Look at this chart from my last holidays!) type of nerd?
I'm kind of guessing they were trying to make him a hipster or something, but got confused about how to make Mac users look uncool and ended up with a generic spec-sheet geek.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with geeks in general (I'm one) or spec-sheet geeks (occasionally guilty as well), but the latter is not and to my knowledge never has been the correct way to parody Mac users. These days, uou're supposed to parody Mac users as either annoyingly trendy techies with elaborate facial hair, the unreasonably fashion-conscious, or pretentious, Ive-worshipping arty types. Lenovo couldn't even get that right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.