Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the screenshots real or fake?

• Real

Votes: 119 26.1%
  • Fake

Votes: 337 73.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Scottyk9 said:
I just read the 1st one... having a visual representation of what this might look like (real or fake) makes it all the more powerful
So... Mac OS X becomes a unified desktop interface :eek:
Embodiments of the present invention provide a method, apparatus and system for transparently unifying multiple VMs on a host. More specifically, according to an embodiment of the present invention, users may interact with Guest Software on a VM host via a unified graphical user interface (the user interface hereafter referred to as “Unified Desktop Interface 200”).
Or you could just refer to it as Mac OS X Leopard :D This will be HUGE. I have no doubt now, that Apple and Intel are working together on this. From what I understand, guest software gets access to the hardware. No more emulation. Sweet. Agreed regarding the screenshot. Fake as it may be, it's cool to see what is most likely in the cards regarding virtualization for OS X.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The photoshop 'experts' have been wrong more times than they've been right.

I believe this shots are real.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
GodBless said:
Some things that people in this thread think will prove these screenshots fake don't prove them fake at all:
1) 10.5 without a build number in the "About This Mac" window. (On Tiger you click on the 10.4 to see the build number on 10.5 I would expect the same, even in the beta version.)

At least one of Tiger's betas had the build number right in the window. I ran a couple of them and I distinctly remember a build being listed without the need of a click.

I'll try to fish out a screenshot...

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
m-dogg said:
Would any Linux users mind explaining the benefit of multiple desktops? While it sounds interesting, I don't see what value it adds.

I'm a Mac user and I can explain that too... :p

http://virtuedesktops.info

It's great for working with multiple apps simultaneously, especially when they are of vastly different kinds. I know Exposé is just great, but OS X has got me spoiled (then again, Exposé doesn't reduce clutter, it just helps you sort through it): once, besides the fact I was working on Photoshop and Illustrator, I had more than 60 websites open at the same time, on two different desktops, as I was doing research on two different subjects, apart from my regular surfing. I also had three or four chat windows open at the same time (I don't really like tabbed chat windows). Try minimizing all that and the dock icons get too tiny and/or indistinguishable. :eek:

I have 4 desktops: Two for work, and two for everything else. Since VirtueDesktops allows me to permanently bind apps to specific desktops, I can force IM apps to open up new windows on one of them - I find that helps me concentrate on the task at hand. I can also make apps "sticky", i.e. they show up on all desktops, which is handy for iTunes, even though I already use the excellent ByteController (http://www.bytetastic.com/?page=products).

For switching desktops, I can either use active edges (akin to exposé's active corners, except I configured them to require a mouse click) or the keyboard shortcut option+tab (which, predictably, presents a translucent pager much like the application switcher triggered by cmd+tab). If you have an Apple laptop equipped with a sudden-motion sensor you could even try the "screen-tapping" method, it seems to be preety nifty. :cool:

[edit: Scottyk9 and longofest beat me to it :p ]

LoonyPandora

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2003
Manchester, UK
I have a bad track record with rumours - but I say fake.

On the second image, the windows still have a shadow mid-animation. On current versions of OS X, doing any sort of CoreImage type effects, the shadows disappear for the duration of the animation.

Hold down shift to slow down the animations of minimising to the dock, and "show all windows" in exposé - you should be able to see this effect :)

tom_s

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
pascalpp said:
Another possible indication that these are faked: both screenshots show the exact same time in the menubar. It's possible that both of these screenshots were taken within 60 seconds of each other, but I find it unlikely.

In the first screenshot he/she is about to switch desktops (with this 1-2 selector thing), in the 2nd screenshot the switching is in progress. I think that it is very likely that these shots were taken only a few seconds apart.

silvergunuk said:
I Think It's A Fake Because In The Screenshot With The Transition, It Looks Like The Mounted Hard Drives On The Desktop Are Deformed. If I Was Apple I Would Leave The Mounted Hardrive Icons The Same As They Would Appear On The 2nd Desktop Anyway.

There could be other HDs mounted or they could be arranged in a different way on the 2nd desktop.

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
So in a few days do you think we'll get a video surfacing online with exactly how this was done in photoshop, much like we saw with the "touch-screen ipod" last spring?

mcic1984

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2002
It's definitely FAKE

I hate to say it as it looks awfully cool, but it's definitely FAKE...

Look carefully at the title of Internet Explorer:
The screenshot shows "Internet Explorer: Apple - MacBook Gallery".

However, using Internet Explorer7 in Windows XP Professional SP2,, the title bar should be:
"Apple - MacBook Family - Windows Internet Explorer"

See this:

173314772_7e505b9188.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=173314772&size=l

Not only is the text the wrong way round, but it is missing the word "Windows" too. And don't say it's hidden - if it is hidden behind the other window, it clearly isn't centred.

I guess the counter-argument is that Apple hide the word "Windows" =P But that seems too far fetched!

=editx2= (a) okay it IS centred and (b) ok Windows does appear to be there -- but why would the words just mysteriously switch order? It would have to be a conscious decision to switch things around... And all the more an odd decision because neither Safari nor Firefox displays the application name...

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
lonepilgrim said:
This could be a relatively 'early' stage of development. I am curious about that date, though, Jan 14. It doesn't appear to be an open app: when iCal is open, it shows the current date, and when closed shows the date it was released (is that right?) So I wonder if the default with this app is to always show the current date, regardless of whether the app is open or not - or, alternatively, there is some other significance to the date.

If it is a current date display, these screenshots are 5 months old - would that be possible or likely?

No, it's not "today's" date. The 14th was a Saturday. The clock shows Wednesday. I don't know where Jan 14th comes from, the only relevent date I can think of would be the supposed 2007 release date (mid January 2007), and I can't think why that would be harded coded into the iCal icon...

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Sky Blue said:
Windows files running on OS X. Is it that hard to understand????

Yes, since Microsoft announced that it no longer supports or builds IE for Mac. :rolleyes:

EDIT: By the way, I'm not talking about just running windows files.
I know you can open Word and Excel etc. files with Office for Mac.
I'm talking about running a program no longer supported by Microsoft on Mac.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
4God said:
Yes, since Microsoft announced that it no longer supports or builds IE for Mac. :rolleyes:

EDIT: By the way, I'm not talking about just running windows files. I know you can open Word and Excel etc. files with Office for Mac.
I'm talking about running a program no longer supported by Microsoft
on Mac.

He is talking about WINDOWS files (e.g. .exe)!

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
4God said:
You don't get it. The build is not for OS X. The idea is to run native Windows 'programs' in a virtual machine with OS X as the unified desktop. See post above with links to Intel's patent application.

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
4God said:
Um, that's great. :D

The implication of the screenshot was never that Leopard will be accompanied by a new, OS X native version of Internet Explorer. I don't know what gave you that impression. The implication is that a native Windows application (in this case Internet Explorer) is being run inside OS X, a la WINE. The separate partitions may simply be a requirement — you have to have Windows installed in order for OS X to use its DLLs, APIs, apps and so forth, and the same would go for a guest Linux install.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mcic1984 said:

However, using Internet Explorer 7, the title bar should be:

See this:

173314772_7e505b9188.jpg

Not only is the text the wrong way round, but it is missing the word "Windows" too. And don't say it's hidden - if it is hidden behind the other window, it clearly isn't centred.

I guess the counter-argument is that Apple hide the word "Windows" =P But that seems too far fetched!

If you look carefully at the first screenshot you can see the end of the s of windows.
Besides, it being the other way around doesn't really make it fake for me.

DougBTX

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2005
tom_s said:
In the first screenshot he/she is about to switch desktops (with this 1-2 selector thing), in the 2nd screenshot the switching is in progress. I think that it is very likely that these shots were taken only a few seconds apart.

Then you would expect to see the picture icon from the first screenshot on the desktop. If he took the time to move the image file somewhere else, the clock would have (probably) changed.

Dougals

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
mcic1984 said:

However, using Internet Explorer 7, the title bar should be:

See this:

173314772_7e505b9188.jpg

the counter arguement may be that the bar at the top is part of the "unified desktop" and the contents are from the "virtual machine"

but really, the details of whether this is real or fake pale in comparison to the implications of this - I find it far more fascinating to think about the consequences of Apple and Intel getting virtualization and a unified desktop with multiple VMs done right

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
4God said:
So you are saying that I can run .exe files on Mac OSX? :confused:

That's what a true virtualization environment without emulation inside the OS itself would suggest.
A lot of patents, apps and rumors are also suggesting this. You would still need to install a copy of Windows though.

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
4God said:
So you are saying that I can run .exe files on Mac OSX? :confused:
Not on any current versions of Mac OS X. The next version, 10.5 "Leopard", is rumoured to have this feature, and the screenshot was made to illustrate how it would look.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Well, I don't think someone who didn't add a shadow to the IE 7 window would go out of their way to make that updated Address Book icon. Hmm...I'm really not sure about these. It'd be cool if this was real. I can't wait for Leopard! :)

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Diatribe said:
That's what a true virtualization environment without emulation inside the OS itself would suggest.
A lot of patents, apps and rumors are also suggesting this. You would still need to install a copy of Windows though.

Ahhh, I got ya. So, would it seem then that this virtualization environment would use some sort of plug-in or driver to connect to windows in some fashion? - assuming maybe you have windows running in the background?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.