Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
displaced said:
Tiger ran briefly on my Summer 2001 500MHz G3 iMac (768MB RAM).

It ran pretty adequately, although after a few weeks I dropped back to 10.3.9 which ran quicker. Mainly, it was the fact that with Tiger, I couldn't resist using all the snazzy stuff -- Dashboard, etc, which were a little too demanding. With 10.3, that stuff wasn't available, so no opportunity to slow things down :)

The media isn't a problem if you've got a second Mac with a DVD drive. Just boot the DVD-less G3 in Firewire Target Disk mode, connect the two, boot the DVD-capable Mac into the installer and finally choose the firewire drive as the installation destination.

For most of the G3 users (I would guess) its not about the DVD or the memory or the HDD, we have had the machine long enough to have upgraded it, its about the "older" processor that we want to be usefull for a longer time.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
It's always possible that they haven't fully determined whether or not the G3 will manage the features in Leopard. But I hope that it does. I don't want to see my iMac, which is sitting next to me, go the way of my IIsi.

Random Passerby

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
Leopard might RUN on a G3, but it probably won't WORK.

My 800mhz g3 is maxed out at 640mb of RAM and just surfing the web and running dashboard consumes half of my memory.

And forget watching a video lag-free while surfing the web...

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Random Passerby said:
Leopard might RUN on a G3, but it probably won't WORK.

My 800mhz g3 is maxed out at 640mb of RAM and just surfing the web and running dashboard consumes half of my memory.

And forget watching a video lag-free while surfing the web...

No, people have tried to run Leopard on a G3, it doesn't let you install it.

Can we get the title changed? It's very misleading now...

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Rapmastac1 said:
Ok, what I was saying...

So, it used to be, in order to upgrade ur OS, you had to get a much faster computer. This was true for Win 98 to Win XP, and OS9 to OS10.

But, now, we are seeing the cores of OS'es being developed with more ground breaking technology, like Vista's base that gives more work to the graphics card, rather than having the CPU do all the work. This will let the overall performance be a lot better, giving older machines an oppurtunity to be able to run that newest OS. Which is awesome, tht you can run it, and it will still be very fast. Now, there are some downfalls of these things. To run vista, you need a good graphics card, but otherwise, you can run the stripped down vista, which is still better than it's predecessor XP. So, it actually runs faster than XP does on my machine, becuase of the way the OS utitlizes my hardwares full potential.

I hope someone out there understands where I'm going with this...

OS X has done this (get faster) with like every revision. And the graphics handled on the card thing? That's called Core Graphics and it's a Tiger feature. And OS X has stripped down the visual effects for older machines forever. My iMac's effects are better than my PowerBook's.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
TIger runs fine on two iMac G3 500's - i put it on. One machine had 768mb ram the other 1gb. It was fine. For basic purposes, staying with Tiger is fine on these machines.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Yeah, Leopard will only work if you swap the actual hard disks out after installing it on a G4/G5/Intel system.

And even though it will boot and work and all, it crashes. A lot. T_T

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
ingenious said:
OS X has done this (get faster) with like every revision. And the graphics handled on the card thing? That's called Core Graphics and it's a Tiger feature. And OS X has stripped down the visual effects for older machines forever. My iMac's effects are better than my PowerBook's.

IIRC, some graphics processing was done on the CPU pre-Tiger.

Either 10.2 or 10.3 introduced Quartz Extreme, which moved the compositing of the display elements onto the GPU. Core Graphics is, IIRC (again) a programmable engine for display effects which are GPU-accelerated. Quartz 2D (which is not yet enabled) will move the actual 2D drawing onto the GPU.

So, if I remember rightly, the OS X display system originally was:

[app drawing] --> [compositing] --> [display]

Quartz Extreme led to:

[app drawing] --> [GPU-accel compositing] --> [display]

Core Graphics led to:

[app drawing] --> [GPU-accel image processing] --> [GPU-accel compositing] --> [display]

Quartz 2D will lead to:

[GPU-accel app drawing] --> [GPU-accel image processing] --> [GPU-accel compositing] --> [display]

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
*BUMP*

Has anyone at WWDC asked one of the Apple technicians or marketing people if Leopard supports G3 Macs? 1,700 Apple Technicians - you'd think someone would know.

nick0296

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
You guys are far more brave than I. My old G3 iMac DV seemed so slow with Panther that I didn't even install Tiger on it. And you crazy people want to install Leopard?:eek:

You are men among men. Godspeed Leopard/G3 users...:D

I have good luck with a 600MHZ G3 with 128MB(128MB under the minimum) and disabled dashboard in 10.4

The specs are as follows:
10.4.11,128MB,80GB HDD(not stock or custom order,i installed)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.