Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
That doesn't appear to work (and also shouldn't necessary, really). Force pressing on the notification screen does nothing, but you can do it on the mail screen.

Exactly, so how do you mark it as read in the notification screen?

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
My only real gripe so far is that notifications are not at all synced back with my iPhone.

For example - if I have notifications on my iPad and my iPhone and my MacBook - if I go read the email on my iPad, the notification for that particular email disappears on my iPhone / MacBook. If I delete an email on my iPad - it disappears from the notifications screen on my iPhone. It's well done on those devices.

But the notifications are there forever (until cleared) on the watch. Even if I read an email and delete an email on another iOS device - the notification is still there on the Apple Watch. If I read an iMessage on my iPad or iPhone - it is still there in notifications on the watch.

Hopefully this will get addressed in software updates.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I have the same problem with a Pebble. Notifications are totally random, I thought the Apple Watch would not have these issues but it may be an issue with notification centre then.

Using Pebble with Android all the notifications come through (which is the whole point of a smart watch).

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
Tap on it, then pull down to dismiss. Or if you want to dismiss all, force touch and it will ask you if you want to clear all.

That will dismiss the notification from your notification center. It has nothing to do with marking the mail as read.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
That will dismiss the notification from your notification center. It has nothing to do with marking the mail as read.

Oh sorry, I thought it was about notifications. When I read an email on my watch it shows up as read on my phone and iPad - and when I delete an email from my watch it's gone from the other devices...so mine is working the way I expected.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
Oh sorry, I thought it was about notifications. When I read an email on my watch it shows up as read on my phone and iPad - and when I delete an email from my watch it's gone from the other devices...so mine is working the way I expected.

It's annoying you can't mark it as read, without launching the full mail app.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Here's my theory. If you pull down on an email notification, you get four buttons. "Mark as unread" "Flag" "Trash" (or "Archive" for gmail messages) and "Dismiss." It makes little sense for there to be a "Mark as unread" button unless the email was supposed to have been marked as read just by viewing the notification. However, that isn't happening for some reason.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I thought it being a watch was the core feature.. :rolleyes:

If that were true, the product is unquestionably a failure, as there are MANY watches out there that provide the time in a much easier manner, with much longer battery life.

Just 'cause they call it a watch doesn't make showing the time the only thing we can expect it to do right.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Here's my theory. If you pull down on an email notification, you get four buttons. "Mark as unread" "Flag" "Trash" (or "Archive" for gmail messages) and "Dismiss." It makes little sense for there to be a "Mark as unread" button unless the email was supposed to have been marked as read just by viewing the notification. However, that isn't happening for some reason.

This is only available if you have tapped on the mail icon above the message on the notifications screen and are now (maybe unbeknownst to the user) in the mail app itself.

If you remain on the notification screen, the only option I've found is to dismiss the notification...leaving the shown email as unread in the app and on the iPhone. This default probably is the best for most people since if you have "delete" available you might think it applies to the notification and you could delete an email in error. But everyone has different desires and ways of working. Maybe Apple will allow different customizations in the future.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
This is only available if you have tapped on the mail icon above the message on the notifications screen and are now (maybe unbeknownst to the user) in the mail app itself.

If you remain on the notification screen, the only option I've found is to dismiss the notification...leaving the shown email as unread in the app and on the iPhone. This default probably is the best for most people since if you have "delete" available you might think it applies to the notification and you could delete an email in error. But everyone has different desires and ways of working. Maybe Apple will allow different customizations in the future.

Well if that is the intended behaviour, then how would the "mark as unread" button make sense? When it's already unread?

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
If you remain on the notification screen, the only option I've found is to dismiss the notification...leaving the shown email as unread in the app and on the iPhone.

This is not true. Send yourself an email and try it out. When you get the tap/sound notifying you of the email, raise your wrist and you get the screen I described. If you then tap on the envelope at the top of the screen, you will be taken to the email app, where the message will be marked as read.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
This is not true. Send yourself an email and try it out. When you get the tap/sound notifying you of the email, raise your wrist and you get the screen I described. If you then tap on the envelope at the top of the screen, you will be taken to the email app, where the message will be marked as read.

The whole discussion is about marking mail as read without lauching Mail.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
The whole discussion is about marking mail as read without lauching Mail.

I am well aware of this. Did you read my previous posts? I'm just explaining that as it is currently implemented you have to go to the mail app to mark things as read, which seems like an extra step. I'd rather they were marked as read when you view the notification (and given the presence of the "Mark as unread" button, that actually seems to be the intended behavior).

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
I am well aware of this. Did you read my previous posts?

Yea I believe we both came to the same conclusion. That the notification screen for mail is bugged. Failing to mark email as read, when it is intended to.

Question, how did this pass QA? Does no one at Apple use email??

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
It does seem odd. However, it's worth pointing out that notifications on other devices do of course work in this way. Just because you get an email notification on your iPad or iPhone doesn't mean that the email will be marked as read, and that's the way it should be. I would argue, however, that the watch is different since you have to raise your wrist to activate the notification screen and thus you have definitely seen the notification.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's version 1 of a version 1 product that just came out 2 days ago

Sorry but what kind of excuse or rationalizing is that comment? Are their bound to be bugs and glitches - yes. But it's not like the watch sprang forth from nothing 2 days ago. They've been heavily testing it for months.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Well if that is the intended behaviour, then how would the "mark as unread" button make sense? When it's already unread?

Ahh, see what you mean now. I wasn't scrolling down the message. So...I was really wrong.

I agree, it is utterly incorrect for it to show mark as unread when it won't let you mark it as read:rolleyes: Just for fun have you tried tapping mark as unread and see if that toggles it to "read" in your messages? Anyway, I'm going to send this to Apple....it clearly isn't right,

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
It does seem odd. However, it's worth pointing out that notifications on other devices do of course work in this way. Just because you get an email notification on your iPad or iPhone doesn't mean that the email will be marked as read, and that's the way it should be. I would argue, however, that the watch is different since you have to raise your wrist to activate the notification screen and thus you have definitely seen the notification.

Well the difference being that, the notification on iphone for example has a mark as read action.

1410781555-Lock%20Screen%20Mark%20As%20Read%20Archive.jpg

183527-1280.png

----------

Ahh, see what you mean now. I wasn't scrolling down the message. So...I was really wrong.

I agree, it is utterly incorrect for it to show mark as unread when it won't let you mark it as read:rolleyes: Just for fun have you tried tapping mark as unread and see if that toggles it to "read" in your messages? Anyway, I'm going to send this to Apple....it clearly isn't right,

I tried it, the button does nothing. I don't get how this got released, Jony Ive is too cool for emails?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.