Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Well the difference being that, the notification on iphone for example has a mark as read action.

----------

I tried it, the button does nothing. I don't get how this got released, Jony Ive is too cool for emails?

My guess is that reading the email on the watch is supposed to mark it as read on the phone, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm going to see if it isn't a case that it is just really slow to update and, if not, then I'll put in a bug report with Apple. You might wish to do the same.

Last edited:

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
Well I don't think is is a huge deal for most people, but it is clearly an error and should be submitted as an bug report.

So let me try to understand how you use it. When you dismiss a ton of emails during the day, what do you do when you go back to your computer/iPhone? Do you click mark all as read? Like how do you deal with emails eventually?

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
So let me try to understand how you use it. When you dismiss a ton of emails during the day, what do you do when you go back to your computer/iPhone? Do you click mark all as read? Like how do you deal with emails eventually?

Yea, I changed my original email to delete that. After reflecting on what is probably happening I realized I was wrong *again*:rolleyes:

I *think* reading the email on the watch is supposed to mark the emails as read on the phone, iPad. etc. I think it is a bug.

----------

To report bugs, submit feedback to Apple (just FYI):

http://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
This is not true. Send yourself an email and try it out. When you get the tap/sound notifying you of the email, raise your wrist and you get the screen I described. If you then tap on the envelope at the top of the screen, you will be taken to the email app, where the message will be marked as read.

Yes, I was referring to options if you don't go to the mail app...if you stay on the notification screen only. It does get confusing...

Last edited:

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
It worked!!

Yalag,

I got the watch to update the emails as read on the iPad/iPhone. But before I add to the confusion and incorrect information I've plopped in this forum, I'm going to do more testing. But it does work if you open the mail app (by using Siri or going to the applications screen). I'm not sure it works when the mail app opens from the reminders area. But that's what I want to check. Good news is that Apple intends emails to be sync'd.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
Yalag,

I got the watch to update the emails as read on the iPad/iPhone. But before I add to the confusion and incorrect information I've plopped in this forum, I'm going to do more testing. But it does work if you open the mail app (by using Siri or going to the applications screen). I'm not sure it works when the mail app opens from the reminders area. But that's what I want to check. Good news is that Apple intends emails to be sync'd.

Please test and report back, right now it's really frustrating. Email is a big part of my life (and apple devices)

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I haven't had an issue yet but I don't have email update automatically so I don't get notifications from it. No issues yet with messages though.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Please test and report back, right now it's really frustrating. Email is a big part of my life (and apple devices)

OK, here is what I think is happening. (Spoiler: you won't be happy with this)

When you read a mail message on the watch *notification* screen, it does not mark the mail as read in the mail app. Unfortunately, the notification screen "thinks" it is read and doesn't provide us with a "mark as read" option...and it should. This is probably a bug/oversight/something.

The work around:
To force the watch to mark/sync the email as read you have to open the email in the mail app. Either by clicking on the mail icon above the message on the notification screen or by opening the application separately (by Siri or from the applications area). In the mail app, make sure you are seeing the list of emails. Tap on any unread email and that email *will* (eventually) show up as read on your idevices.

Again I suggest sending in a bug report.

Now I need a drink...

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
OK, here is what I think is happening. (Spoiler: you won't be happy with this)

When you read a mail message on the watch *notification* screen, it does not mark the mail as read in the mail app. Unfortunately, the notification screen "thinks" it is read and doesn't provide us with a "mark as read" option...and it should. This is probably a bug/oversight/something.

The work around:
To force the watch to mark/sync the email as read you have to open the email in the mail app. Either by clicking on the mail icon above the message on the notification screen or by opening the application separately (by Siri or from the applications area). In the mail app, make sure you are seeing the list of emails. Tap on any unread email and that email *will* (eventually) show up as read on your idevices.

Again I suggest sending in a bug report.

Now I need a drink...

I can confirm this is the exact experience I find. I also don't understand how they could launch a product like this. Email is literally the top 3 function of the device

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
That was my conclusion as well. If they intended the email to NOT be marked as read when you view the notification, then the button should read "Mark as read." This would be okay, I guess, and would mimic how the other devices work. But I would prefer for them to be just automatically marked as read when you get the notification.

I also agree that it's surprising that this got past the testing stage. Maybe they were too busy bringing live jellyfish in for photo shoots?

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I can confirm this is the exact experience I find. I also don't understand how they could launch a product like this. Email is literally the top 3 function of the device

I agree, but it isn't clear what they really intended and I can see how this glitch got through. I'd probably not consider this a "critical" bug but for those who need this functionality (the ability to mark as read an email from within notifications and not just from within the mail app) it is very frustrating.

Please submit a bug report. They don't read this forum. If no one beta testing the watch caught it, it is up to you power users to let them know. Tell them this is a feature you absolutely need!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.