Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Wow. I thought I was bad.

Now this is like a constant fear that Apple had instilled in my mind. no matter even if I buy the iPad-3 just a month before iPad-4 is gonna launched. I will still get in to the Week and Factory Details of the device. Can't help but have to do it. That will atleast convince me atleast I tried everybit that I could to make sure I was searching for the best possible unit. Rest is sheer Luck ! I hate to write this. But it is Luck. Winning a Lotto !

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
No, it's how modern day, self-entitled OCD sufferers allow some material object like an iPad to stress them out. I don't care how much you paid for the damn thing, it ain't worth twenty replacements and it most certainly ain't worth high blood pressure and gray hairs.

Hey now, I was born with gray hair. If I get stressed out about this, does that mean my hair might turn brown? LMAO

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Aren't you the guy comparing the iPad to your $3,000 screen?

LOL, I think he took all 9 (yes NINE!) of his iPad's back and gave up when they didn't live up to the expectations of a very expensive screen. I'm sure he is watching this forum like a hawk and will eventually realize that his profession doesn't need such a flawless device. He will come back in 2 months repurchase and say "Finally" when in fact Apple has done nothing at all (Mental).

Last edited:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
LOL, I think he took all 9 (yes NINE!) of his iPad's back and gave up when they didn't live up to the expectations of a very expensive screen. I'm sure he is watching this forum like a hawk and will eventually realize that his profession doesn't need such a flawless device. He will come back in 2 months repurchase and say "Finally" when in fact Apple has done nothing at all (Mental).

No, they didn't live up to the expectations of an iPad 1 or iPad 2 screen. How did we all suddenly develop mental problems *just when* the new iPad came out?

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Serial number: DMPHL....
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 17 (April)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: White
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

Garbage.

Diagonal pink-green tint, AND 5" of light leakage at the top.

Called Apple up, and they tried conning me into a repair (aka refurbished unit)
I then talked to a senior advisor who is setting up an 'priority exchange'.

Which basically means I'm repurchasing another iPad and waiting the same amount of time to receive it from china.

This is the fourth. Getting sick of this now.

My best bet is to probably spend some money and go to my closest Apple store and not leave until I'm satisfied.

Update:

The replacement unit that accidentally got sent to me came in today. (They sent out a replacement before they changed my case file to receive a new unit)

I opened the box, to check the unit; because honestly I couldn't take the chance of sending them back a possibly good unit.

Screen is almost flawless. No backlight bleed whatsoever. Bluer whites, colours look amazing, not washed out like on all my previous. The most uniform of all so far.

However. There is a speck of dust, probably ~1mm.

I honestly think I'll keep this one. The speck is annoying at times (it's only really visible on pure white/coloured backgrounds), but playing this screen lotto is just plain irritating.

Anyone think of any way possible to 'move' the speck? maybe static charge to the shell to pull it to the side? Blow air into the unit? I know people say the glass isn't fused to the panel, so there should be a gap of air between them right?

In any case, I think this is the winner for me. FWIW it's a 7th Week DL.

And what's with the negatives on my last post? It's not like I've been a rampant complainer. My four prior units actually had visible problems all verified by Apple.

Here's a pic:

It may look sepia toned in the pic, but I assure you it's white. Just taken by my iPhone 4S.

IMG_0076.png

Last edited:

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Update:

The replacement unit that accidentally got sent to me came in today. (They sent out a replacement before they changed my case file to receive a new unit)

I opened the box, to check the unit; because honestly I couldn't take the chance of sending them back a possibly good unit.

Screen is almost flawless. No backlight bleed whatsoever. Bluer whites, colours look amazing, not washed out like on all my previous. The most uniform of all so far.

However. There is a speck of dust, probably ~1mm.

I honestly think I'll keep this one. The speck is annoying at times (it's only really visible on pure white/coloured backgrounds), but playing this screen lotto is just plain irritating.

Anyone think of any way possible to 'move' the speck? maybe static charge to the shell to pull it to the side? Blow air into the unit? I know people say the glass isn't fused to the panel, so there should be a gap of air between them right?

In any case, I think this is the winner for me. FWIW it's a 7th Week DL.

And what's with the negatives on my last post? It's not like I've been a rampant complainer. My four prior units actually had visible problems all verified by Apple.

Did your replacement come from china or a local apple store?

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
It was a replacement unit from Apple over the phone, came from somewhere in the US.

I asked because mine is coming from china, a new one I believe to replace my multi clowned half tinted screen. In the agreement I signed it said a " replacement product" so I wasn't sure if it was just another replacement.

Grats on yours and really I shouldn't even congratulate you because every iPad should be good and not a screen lotto

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I ordered mine minute it was on sale (well, servers kept crashing).
It was packed and shipped next day (delayed until 16th).

Screen is perfect, just the faintest bleed under touch screen at top, only if you look at it when nearly flat, nothing to complain about.

My only issue is the home button is slightly above the touchscreen, and the edge is actually sharp! Not bad, just a slight annoyance.

Will edit in origin info later.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Perfect screen:

Group2: WiFi-GSM
Machine Model: iPad3,2
Production week: 9 (March)
Family name: A1430
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Any trends visible of the displays improving long term? At my third return I thought I'd stop playing this lottery for a little while and wait until they've fixed the quality control issues.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Any trends visible of the displays improving long term? At my third return I thought I'd stop playing this lottery for a little while and wait until they've fixed the quality control issues.

DY units in general seem to be turning out good displays, try the latest week, 18 is the latest that I have heard. Take a second opinion.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
DY units in general seem to be turning out good displays, try the latest week, 18 is the latest that I have heard. Take a second opinion.

Thanks that's good to know. I'll wait for others to chime in and if you're correct will let the stock in the stores saturate to the 18+ week builds before buying again.

Bananastand

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
DL week 6. Dust inside screen.
DL week 11. Top left yellow.
DL week 12. Yellow side yellow.
DY week 17. Top quarter of the screen is yellow.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Yellow on the left. Week 19.

Anybody on 19-DY ? How is the screen ?

Mine is DY week 19. Looking it in portrait position, it has a quarter of the screen yellower than the rest, on the left side.

Model Number: MD365
Group2: WiFi-4G
Machine Model: iPad3,3
Production week: 19 (May)
Family name: A1403
Colour: White
Factory: DY

bartonjm

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
Upstate NY
Serial number: DMP
Production week: 18 (May)
Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

This was the first one....2-3 dead pixels in middle of the screen....no color issues

Serial number: DMP....
Production week: 17 (April)

2nd one....good screen...no issues as of now.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Gosh ! Even on 19-DY there is a problem ? I thought by now the quality would have been improved !

fewy

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
this is my first replacement and I got a yellow tint ipad ( whole screen )

Serial number: DKVHM-----------
Machine Model: iPad3,2
Production week: 18 (May)
Family name: A1430
Factory: DK (Refurbished)

what does this mean "refurbished" ? i didn't get. And can I call for a replacement again ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.