Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryansha5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
So I am a data analyst and I would like to get a main display to hook up to my 13 inch macbook pro 2017 with touchbar. The issue is, every time I try a new display, I have issues with the picture quality, namely the text is funny. As I am staring at text all day for work, this is maddening! I was looking into the ultra-wide USBC monitors but they are pretty pricey. Do I need a USB-C Monitor in order to have quality and smooth texts on the display? or can I get away with a display port monitor? so far all I've used are HDMI monitors and have been disappointed with the result.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I’m guessing the text doesn’t look crisp/smooth relative to the Mac screen because you’ve had low/“regular” PPI screens. Look for a 4K or 5K screen at whatever physical size you like.

I’d recommend DisplayPort or native USB-C connections over HDMI if you can.

chekie

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Are you running Mojave on non-retina monitor? If so, google mojave + subpixel antialiasing. There are ways to improve the appearance of text.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.